advertisement

I need a new mattress.

Chops54

pfm Member
I had spinal surgery a couple of years ago and it's left me with a bad back. The surgeon did warn me that this might happen and as it's much the lesser of two evils I'm not complaining. The pain in my back is getting worse but I've noticed it eases off as the day goes on so I'm wondering if my old orthopaedic mattress is past its sell by date. There is a bewildering selection of mattresses out there but I wondered whether the new breed of light foam mattresses were worth a shot. Of those I've looked at the Emma mattress sticks out. Do any of you have experience of this mattress or similar or would a more traditional mattress still be the way to go?

Ive had a Casper for a couple of months. Happy with it so far. 100 day trial period like a number of them out there.

Had ViSpring for 20 years now. Time to replace, probably with another.
Not cheap but the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. A topper makes it even better
And so to bed often have them on offer. John Lewis sell them too
Highly recommended

Go and lie on one for 10 minutes and be convinced

My Dad went for the Emma but he was going to keep it like it or not because he immediately threw away his existing mattress with no intention of using the 100 night trial :rolleyes:

I tried a Sleeping Duck (weighs a ton) but didn't keep it as I like quite a firm mattress and it turns out I hate foam, far too warm and hate the "moulding" aspect of it as I prefer to sleep on top of the mattress rather than get sucked into it.

I think the Bruno looks good but it's still foam even if it's supposed to be firmer, so I'm still stuck with the £80 ikea spring job that TBH is fantastic VFM.

Not much help to you but I'd definitely go an try some of the higher quality ikea mattresses if I were you, I think JL also have a one/couple of these bed-in-a-box mattresses on display for you to try.

Thanks all for the replies so far.

Matt, does your dad like the Emma? If the blurb I've read is to be believed this mattress stays cool and doesn't smell.

I bought an expensive Sealey a few years back which after a while became a pain. Earlier this year I caved in and fell prey to onlie marketing and bought an OTTY....they too have a 100 day tria period. I've gotten on well with it so it's staying!

Thanks all for the replies so far.

Matt, does your dad like the Emma? If the blurb I've read is to be believed this mattress stays cool and doesn't smell.

He says so, but because he threw his old one away I think he would say he liked it whether he did or didn't, he's like that :rolleyes:

Personally I don't believe any foam mattress can stay cool, at least not what I would call cool, they may be cool compared to some of the early memory foam mattresses some people have but they can't get anywhere near the sort of airflow/ventilation you get from a sprung mattress. Latex is better as it's natural unlike man made foam but I'm still dubious.

Next one I try will be one of the better Ikea sprung jobs. That being said I haven't had spinal surgery and not in a position to suggest what would work for you, it sounds like you need some serious investigation as to what you need compared to the average punter.

Although if you're ok with the hassle of swapping them around then using the 100 night trial seems like a no-brainer, you don't have to wait the full 100 nights if you hate it (at least I didn't have to with mine).

Also check out John Ryan Design, plenty rate their mattresses.

Sorry to hear about your back trouble. I had neurosurgery on my spinal cord about 15 years ago and suffer from back pain. After staying at a particular hotel about 10 years ago, I had the most comfortable sleep ever, so looked at the mattress. A visit to what is now the Savoir Beds factory in Cardiff followed and it’s one of the best investments I’ve ever made. It’s such a personal thing you need to find what works for you but you’ll know it when you do.

I've had back problems all my life - I recently bought an expensive mattress from local department store - really uncomfortable, much too hard despite it described as 'medium' and I'd tried the one in store.
Swapped it for a Bensons medium, which is really soft on top while also being very supportive.

I haven't had any serious back problem since.

savoir if you can afford it. Vi-Spring if you can't.

I recall a documentary a few years back that mattresses labelled as orthopaedic etc a purely just a marketing ploy.

We bought a JL mattress earlier on in the year, £700 or something, worth every penny, best mattress we've ever had.

The previous one was about 20 years old and like a board we bought it from Blindcraft (no longer trading) but it was way too firm, only realised this when we went to JL and the lady told us that only certain weight of people need a firm mattress and recommended a medium and she was spot on.

A timely thread. I spent about an hour & a half in John Lewis earlier in the week lounging on various mattresses to replace a 20 year old Slumberland orthapedic. Ended up ordering a £900 Hypnos firm with pillow top & a new bed frame, both of which are due to be delivered on Tuesday. I tried a memory foam one & hated it, I felt like I was sinking into it & it was an effort to get off the thing.

savoir if you can afford it. Vi-Spring if you can't.

I recall a documentary a few years back that mattresses labelled as orthopaedic etc a purely just a marketing ploy.
Looks good, and not as expensive as I thought. £699 and 10 years warranty... £69 a year isn’t a lot of money for a comfortable nights sleep!

I don't think I can afford a Savoir but that Oxford mattress looks good and won't break the bank. Euan, do you find your Oxford 9000 preferable to your old Hypnos?

Looks good, and not as expensive as I thought. £699 and 10 years warranty... £69 a year isn’t a lot of money for a comfortable nights sleep!

I haven't got to the Vi Spring yet but I will shortly. Does getting a comfortable nights sleep help reduce your pain Linnfo?

I haven't got to the Vi Spring yet but I will shortly. Does getting a comfortable nights sleep help reduce your pain Linnfo?
It does but I’m due a new mattress, I’m interested in this thread for the very reason that you started it. I often suffer really intense back pain whilst trying to sleep which is why I sometimes randomly post on here in the middle of the night. I’m interested in either the Vi Spring or the Emma.

advertisement

Back