advertisement

New Rega RP8

Looks nice, but I really wish they wouldn't have the exposed foam look. I feel it really cheapens everything. Why not just encase it like the top and bottom of the plinth?

very interesting

planar-8-website-gallery-3.jpg

For me it looks cheap.
What happens if you get the exposed foam dirty or greasy in some way? Bet it doesn't clean worth squat. How about if you are moving the thing and accidentally stick your fingers into the foam marking the surface?
If it were a clever budget model where every penny counts I could understand it... but its not.

No plinth to speak of, no proper dust cover...... Bet this model is quite a bit cheaper for Rega to produce overall and they are charging another £20? Gee.....Thanks!

The previous model for me every time. Bet I would struggle to hear the improvement anyway.

Last edited:
Looks nice, I bet the exposed foam is to let the ''bad'' vibrations out ;)

what do the arm screws screw into, gotta be something other than foam?

Looks nice, I bet the exposed foam is to let the ''bad'' vibrations out ;)

what do the arm screws screw into, gotta be something other than foam?
On the RP8 the metal braces top and bottom provide the structure I believe.

Bridging the foam will alter how it sounds, hence the defined through contacts at arm and bearing.

Looks nice, but I really wish they wouldn't have the exposed foam look. I feel it really cheapens everything. Why not just encase it like the top and bottom of the plinth?

For me it looks cheap.
What happens if you get the exposed foam dirty or greasy in some way? Bet it doesn't clean worth squat. How about if you are moving the thing and accidentally stick your fingers into the foam marking the surface?
If it were a clever budget model where every penny counts I could understand it... but its not.

The previous model for me every time. Bet I would struggle to hear the improvement anyway.

I agree, it really is a shame they left the foam like that it looks very cheap for a premium product a bit naff really - I could have been tempted to audition.

I like the look of this. Wonder what the Planar 10 will look/sound like.

I’m not as hung up with the foam. It’s only as inconvenient as having foam grills on the SL2’s....

advertisement

Back