advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and that was about 45 days ago. To be honest I've given up on this. It's now over 5 years since I made my first payment for a product which was promised 'in a few months'. Lost count of the number of promises which have been made and then broken. Just waiting on the 'shipping by christmas' message for the 5th year running.

I more or less feel the same. All these years and the design is still being worked on. I guess it’s possible we’ll get a Detox this year, but I can’t see the DAC being ready anytime soon.

Has there been any sign of PCBs for the analogue stage yet? KIt only takes a week to get samples back from China.
Nope.

Last about this was mid August, "We could be around 30 days to 45 days away to first PCB release."

And then 20th September someone asked for an update:
"Not had a chance to work on it these past few weeks as I"m just completing a small production batch of streamer boards to help keep the lights on here... I should be back working on the PCB by mid next week.

A break away from the PCB is good sometimes as it allows me to get my thoughts together on the pending Clock section and Array PSU design... Its good to step back and clear ones head for new / clearer ideas..."

So yeah, nothing new.

Pretty much with the above now, given up expecting something, just hoping that something eventually arrives. Not going to be spending a penny more until something is ready for delivery.... Its been a lot of years of 'Will be ready for Christmas'.

I am starting to notice slight variations in volume and wondering if that is sign of upcoming failure in my Mdac?

Is the variation both channels or a single channel?

This could be indicative of leaky capacitors but due to the dual Mono PSU design it would effect a single channel not both together.

We are months away to first MDAC2 boards - so I'd suggest holding out rather then spending on recapping the DAC.

Has there been any sign of PCBs for the analogue stage yet? KIt only takes a week to get samples back from China.

The MDAC2 Analogue stage PCB remains the same as as it did 3 weeks age - I post progress updates via facebook:-

"I've not had a chance to work on the design these past few weeks as I"m just completing a small production batch of streamer boards to help keep the lights on here... I should be back working on the PCB by mid next week.

A break away from the PCB is good sometimes as it allows me to get my thoughts together on the pending Clock section and Array PSU design... Its good to step back and clear ones head for new / clearer ideas..."

By the end of this week I'll start work on the Clock stage then finally the PSU sections - the DAC array PSU's will take time... then the PCB can be issued - but first the Clock section which is a horrid section to design...

The MDAC2 Analogue stage PCB remains the same as as it did 3 weeks age - I post progress updates via facebook:-

"I've not had a chance to work on the design these past few weeks as I"m just completing a small production batch of streamer boards to help keep the lights on here... I should be back working on the PCB by mid next week.

By the end of this week I'll start work on the Clock stage then finally the PSU sections - the DAC array PSU's will take time... then the PCB can be issued - but first the Clock section which is a horrid section to design...
It's like 2013 all over again.
I more or less feel the same. All these years and the design is still being worked on. I guess it’s possible we’ll get a Detox this year, but I can’t see the DAC being ready anytime soon.
Worked on?I think the correct expression is "not worked on". In the meantime what has become of the chassis vendor who was going to provide a price for the final detox chassis.

It's China, John's a tiny fish big, orders take preference. We can literally buy 1000 frames from a bike oem quicker than we can 100 in China or Taiwan.

One thing I am still a little concerned about, if this goes on post BREXIT with most of us being in the UK, we may find ourselves lumped with Import Duties...!

It's sooner than you think, the pi zero and virtually all pi's run 32 bit Linux which runs out of bits on 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038, so there's no way its going to ship before Christmas 2037.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
If you look at that another way, it gives him nearly 20 years till 2038, then everything gets reset to 1970 which gives him another 45 or so years to catch up with when he first promised delivery in 2015. Still might not be enough. Global warming is another worry. At some point the U.K. will be 14 foot underwater.

Is the idea for this that an existing MDAC can be used with a new PCB to create an upgraded DAC? Will it do streaming too? I have tried geeting info from the Lakewest website but i'm afraid it is beyond me. Will it be avaialble commercially or just for the poor souls who have had their money invested for the last few years?

Is the idea for this that an existing MDAC can be used with a new PCB to create an upgraded DAC? Will it do streaming too? I have tried geeting info from the Lakewest website but i'm afraid it is beyond me. Will it be avaialble commercially or just for the poor souls who have had their money invested for the last few years?

It's a replacement board. There's an option to add a streamer. There are no plans for it to be made commercially.

It's a replacement board. There's an option to add a streamer. There are no plans for it to be made commercially.

Thanks - I would be intersted in the MDAC2, but as you can imagine I would be pretty relucatnt to part with any money up front having seen the comments in this thread!

John's just posted on FB that the streamer in integrated into the digital board. I don't think it's an option anymore.

As I remember it that was only going to be necessary if you wanted to have the new full size OLED front panel (remember that?). I'm assuming it now being mandatory on the main board is due to space constraints on the new design of the board that John started earlier this year.

What I can't understand is how John can design something for a third party in what appears to be months, but this project has taken the best part of 5 years.

As I remember it that was only going to be necessary if you wanted to have the new full size OLED front panel (remember that?). I'm assuming it now being mandatory on the main board is due to space constraints on the new design of the board that John started earlier this year.

What I can't understand is how John can design something for a third party in what appears to be months, but this project has taken the best part of 5 years.

Would therefore your best chance of getting a result be to ask JohnW to sell/give your design to someone who does have the competence to deliver on the understanding that the FDAC investors get a good deal on the resulting product? As it stands, it seems to me that other manufacturers are benefitting from the design work you have helped finance.

Yes it's almost as though he hasn't actually spent the last 5 years designing this dac just giving an an edited running commentary around doing whatever he was doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back