advertisement

Linear PSU for NAS & Router

The USB input is XMOS controlled and the digital section goes through two clocks, first sync then async:
http://www.i-fidelity.net/en/test-reports/high-end/audionet-dna/seite-1-audionet-dna.html

Audionet chief designer Volker Wischniowski is the father of the DNA. Apart from the innovative circuit layout he primarily exercised utmost care with the component selection. If standard solutions won’t do, he simply orders custom-made types. But as his know-how meanwhile includes network technology as well, he’s been assisting i-fidelity.net with the configuration of their editorial router which at first refused to take notice of the DNA. This man can not only build high-end amplifiers ...

Especially in the DNA’s digital section Audionet has gone to great lengths. Hereby two premisses were relentlessly followed, without taking neither time nor costs into account. First the digital section had be specially protected against interferences both from outside and inside. And on the other hand the signal transmission must function perfectly. So the data transmission takes place via LVDS (Low Voltage Differential Signaling). Designer Volker Wischniowski handles the increased interference susceptibility of this mode of transmission in the one volt range with a pc board layout of which he affirms convincingly: »Here we’ve truly come off with something special.«

When the signals arrive at one of the DNA’S coax inputs, they will first undergo a clock rate purification. Some of the involved parts have been quietened with some plasticine to efficiently suppress the emergence of even the faintest microphonic components. After that the Audionet generates its own new clock rate – this is a Bochum speciality with a high sonic relevance. The DSP board is equipped with a sampling rate converter which is used to upscale all signals to 192 kilohertz with no exception. In particular a good deal of brainpower was put into the component selection some of which are custom-made for Audionet – such as the Burr Brown PCM 1794 – and the construction. For it’s another Audionet speciality to keep jitter values extremely low. The audiophile connoisseur may allow the remark that Burr-Brown D/A converters of the highest and thus most expensive selection grade are used for the main channels in a dual mono configuration, hence exactly like in the VIP G3. Even for the D/A conversion of the subwoofer channels we can still find Wolfson 8740s. This type also fulfils the same task in the MAP I multi-channel preamp

I just got 2 of these, one 12V for my DSP/DAC and the other 18V for my PhonoBoxDS+/SpeedBoxS.
Can I just add that the Earth has 2 pins, only the top one can be seen in the photos which appears bare. In reality there is a 2nd ground pin soldered to the chassis (you can see it tucked away when looking at the innards), so yes this device DOES have a correctly connected Earth-Chassis ground (or put another way - there is continuity between the connected power cord's Earth pin at the plug-end and the chassis itself). It does appear to be safe & well made.
Made an improvement to the sound in my case too (and managed to get rid of 4 SMSPs at the same time too)

@Gaffer74
How would you describe the sound improvement?
What's the temp on yours (supposing you have a way of measuring that)?

I spoke to ebay seller/manufacture via mail yesterday, they confirmed the earth/ground is continuous from transformer through to wall socket. and 40-45c temp is a normal operating temperature.

Well it's all very subtle so not exactly a massive leap, but I think it has slightly less grainy/harsh treble, the same deep bass but much better controlled and a more forward soundstage (more pronounced for the Phono Box DS+).
The biggest improvement has been the improved transients which I personally think is less due to the LPS and maybe more due to the fact that I have gotten rid of all my SMPSs (less hash being "injected" into the mans now).
I've tried a friends UK sourced LPS (circa £250) and feel these ones do pretty much exactly the same (they're no worse imo) for much less at £69

Seems like all that work inside the audionet was wasted if it's digital signal processing is affected by the psu for the nas, surely all that reclocking and filtering is for nought.

Seems like all that work inside the audionet was wasted if it's digital signal processing is affected by the psu for the nas, surely all that reclocking and filtering is for nought.

Your question/comment was covered earlier.

What I find difficult to believe is on one hand, you are supposed to have an Audionet amp that is totally immune to any switching / digital nasties, yet an improvement has been heard. Without a doubt the new PSU is not improving the signal, but it will be reducing switching noise into the mains. How audible this might be would be extremely system and mains dependent.

What makes you so sure the SMPS nasties where not entering the 5V rail in the USB output on the NAS thus going to the DAC>analog out?

Yes, a potential issue, which is why I interrupt my +5V rail with a dedicated linear supply, however, I don't think your unit is self-powered, like my USB to SPDIF converter is, so +5V shouldn't even be connected?

Tis amusing how many are ready to deny replacing an SMPS with a LPSU can make a difference based purely on theory with no practical experience.

Well it's all very subtle so not exactly a massive leap, but I think it has slightly less grainy/harsh treble, the same deep bass but much better controlled and a more forward soundstage (more pronounced for the Phono Box DS+).
The biggest improvement has been the improved transients which I personally think is less due to the LPS and maybe more due to the fact that I have gotten rid of all my SMPSs (less hash being "injected" into the mans now).
I've tried a friends UK sourced LPS (circa £250) and feel these ones do pretty much exactly the same (they're no worse imo) for much less at £69

I have also eliminated all the SMPS's in/around the system. The biggest improvement I've noticed is in the soundstage and macro detail.

There appear to be more and more of these poorly designed products around, another manufacturer I can cross off.
Keith

Interestingly done Keith.... You do really know how to select a product, especially as a retailer. have a read on post #2 in this thread.

As you're literally 5 miles away from me, pop down. Have a listen, decide with your ears not keyboard :) .... I'm of work till mid/end of this week coming (knee op) so am willing to host that Kii demo we've discussed many time!

I don’t disbelieve you,I am concerned, as Simon is that the Audionet is so poorly designed it can be improved by replacing a power supply on a NAS drive.
Keith

I don’t disbelieve you,I am concerned, as Simon is that the Audionet is so poorly designed it can be improved by replacing a power supply on a NAS drive.
Keith

It's got nothing to do with the amp or its DAC, the NAS outputs what its input. The DAC will and can only play what its given, if the given data from NAS is dirty then you should be able to understand why cleaning up the frontend would improve the result.

If the Input power supply is producing audible ripple then why would that not be affecting the 5v rail in the USB output (which is how i use roon, via NAS>USB out) or in the NAS generally?
I take it you do have an understanding of electronics right?

So are you saying all digital front ends sound the same and power supplies make no difference?

plenty info over on Computeraudiophile regarding linear PSU's into Routers and NAS drives with reports of improvement in audio quality.

advertisement

Back