advertisement

£500.00 vinyl only system ‘challenge'

Gerard124

Tempus fugit, memento mori
One of my wifes friends has asked me to put together a vinyl only system for her (Turntable/Cartridge, Amp, Speakers) - budget is £500.00.

Everything must have suitable WAF, play ‘music’ and if it were to be a used system all components would need to be well tidy as this ladies home is furnished to a high standard.

I’m wondering could this possibly be done for £500 with all new components? - I guess Rega Planar 1 would be the only new turntable worth considering at this price point? are a new amp (inc phono stage) and speakers possible for remaining £251.00?

I recently put together a system for my sister of this kind of value. The original idea was to buy new, selling some spare kit to fund it, but when I looked into it I found I couldn't get near the quality of the older stuff. So I packed up my Linn Keilidh speakers (tend to go for around £150), Arcam Alpha 9 (ditto), NAD PP1 phono (£20?) and bought an RB300 Rega Planar 3 in need of only a little restoration (£150), adding a NOS Nagaoka MP100 (£20) I had in a drawer. All easy stuff to source, apart from the cart. Not everyone likes Keilidhs but they are relatively compact, very easy to position, look good and have (to me) a nice, natural tone.

A quick look at Richer Sounds says you can get a very smart retro-ish silver Yamaha AS301 amplifier at £189 and a pair of Q 3020's at £110 (with bundle discount) and a look round e bay gets you a white 'manufacturer refurbished' rega RP1 for £180.

That would look very smart and sound pretty good.

If you can get to Derby, £81 gets an ex dem RP1 in white, or if you really want brand new sealed, you can get one for £98 from Musicraft.

I’d get something like the Yamaha AS301 amp, it looks cool, sounds fine for the money, £189 at Richer Sounds.

You can’t go far wrong with the Q Acoustics 3020 which they have available for £119 from Richer Sounds.

The Mission Stancette stands are £69 from Richer Sounds and you will save an extra 15% if bought with speakers.

Ask Richer Sounds to help you out with the speaker cable since you’re buying an amp, speakers and stands.

Get a couple of Ikea Lack tables to put the amp and turntable on if necessary... and you’re done, a genuinely great little vinyl setup at £500.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Since the cosmetics are of primary importance going new seems to be the way to go, at least then you won't have to sift out the minter-than-mint examples. "Oh, I can't have that one, there's a finger mark on the lid".

My experience with Richer suggests you might get a little discount from them if you buy three items at once.

I like the looks of the MF system, quite fancy that as a retro dining room system.
It does have a touch of 60s retro cool about it, with modern fit and finish.

For sound quality, especially if it’s the main/only vinyl setup, I’d stick with the Rega/Yamaha/Q Acoustics suggestion that by chance was made by both myself and Foxwelljsly. It will sound much better than the price would suggest!

Thanks for the help guys, I’ve only just had chance to check in on the thread as I have been run off my feet today.

I’m sold on the new Rega RP1 with the Yamaha amp from Richer Sounds (hope we can snag an amp as it’s in store only).

I’ve just heard said lady would like floor standers - how would the Cambridge Audio SX80s fair? are they any cop?- they are priced at £249.00 but you get a 10% discount if purchased with the Yamaha amp.

R-15PM-Nick-Fouquet-Lifestyle-2-blog-hero.jpg

Klipsch R-41PM & Project deck £550 total
35wpc Active Bluetooth wireless Speakers with Phono Stage , USB & Optical
or VTE BT for wireless wall or table top

VTE_Whit_Wallmount.png

Thanks for the help guys, I’ve only just had chance to check in on the thread as I have been run off my feet today.

I’m sold on the new Rega RP1 with the Yamaha amp from Richer Sounds (hope we can snag an amp as it’s in store only).

I’ve just heard said lady would like floor standers - how would the Cambridge Audio SX80s fair? are they any cop?- they are priced at £249.00 but you get a 10% discount if purchased with the Yamaha amp.
They’re pretty decent, I heard a pair at Scalford being driven by a Rasberry Pi with the piggyback DAC and a tiny class d amp.

They were on the warmer side of neutral and lacked the level of dynamic and drive that the Q acoustics speakers had but they were very pleasant... and it’s worth bearing in mind that they were being driven by an amp the size of a pack of cards and powered by a mains adapter, whereas the Q acoustics speakers were being driven by Cyrus 8vs2/PSX R and a Farlowe era Exposure amp (at different points in the day. I think they would have more drive with and amp that can drive them harder. Also, the RP1/Planar1 are very lively, snappy performers, maybe not as accurate or quiet as their more expensive stable mates, but they make for a fun and involving listen. I think it’d be a well balanced setup.

Best thing is to ring them up and book a Saturday dem, take your friend and let her see and hear what she’s buying... if you’re incredibly lucky, your local branch might just have something like a pair of Dali Zenzor 5s ex dem, now they’re really good... but brand new and full price, they’d swallow the budget in one.

They’re pretty decent, I heard a pair at Scalford being driven by a Rasberry Pi with the piggyback DAC and a tiny class d amp.

They were on the warmer side of neutral and lacked the level of dynamic and drive that the Q acoustics speakers had but they were very pleasant... and it’s worth bearing in mind that they were being driven by an amp the size of a pack of cards and powered by a mains adapter, whereas the Q acoustics speakers were being driven by Cyrus 8vs2/PSX R and a Farlowe era Exposure amp (at different points in the day. I think they would have more drive with and amp that can drive them harder. Also, the RP1/Planar1 are very lively, snappy performers, maybe not as accurate or quiet as their more expensive stable mates, but they make for a fun and involving listen. I think it’d be a well balanced setup.

Best thing is to ring them up and book a Saturday dem, take your friend and let her see and hear what she’s buying... if you’re incredibly lucky, your local branch might just have something like a pair of Dali Zenzor 5s ex dem, now they’re really good... but brand new and full price, they’d swallow the budget in one.
New

Cheers for the detailed right up, the RP1 and Cambridge speakers should be spot on. Trying to land the Yamaha amp in silver is proofing tricky but fingers crossed as she loves the look of it and she takes great pride in her home.

advertisement

Back