advertisement

£1k for a mountain bike

Although there is meritt in your principal, a full suspension is a proper trail bike...a hard tail definitely has its place, the comfort levels are far reduced for doing anything other than basic and real basic at that single track...
There are many arguments to the HT vs FS debate but to suggest that a hardtail isn't up to the job for anything other than 'basic trails' is plain nonsense.

And besides, Gary has already said "Its not for hardcore down hilling but the whole family has mountain bikes for flexibility, so road, tracks, gravel etc etc." a hardtail will be perfect for this.

Honestly, although 43 I have not hit the mid life crisis too hard here, I just want a decent mountain bike for a grand. I would rather the cost of that is in gearing, brakes etc than rear suspension. Although if money was not object I would totally be going for that!

There are many arguments to the HT vs FS debate but to suggest that a hardtail isn't up to the job for anything other than 'basic trails' is plain nonsense.

And besides, Gary has already said "Its not for hardcore down hilling but the whole family has mountain bikes for flexibility, so road, tracks, gravel etc etc." a hardtail will be perfect for this.

But a FS will be better and more comfortable and more versatile in the hands of a normal person as opposed to a pro rider like in your video. Thats the point.

HT’s are yesteryear.

Ive tidden at Whistler a few times and im glad my prostrate came away in tact which would be doubtful on a Ht!

But a FS will be better and more comfortable and more versatile in the hands of a normal person as opposed to a pro rider like in your video. Thats the point.

HT’s are yesteryear.
I've got two FS and a HT and for the type of riding that Gary has mentioned I'd take the HT every time. My riding skills are very normal :D

Adding rear suspension is extra complexity, weight and importantly cost, which at this price-point would be better diverted to the wheels or groupset.

p.s. if anyone's interested, I'm selling a 2014 Canyon Spectral (medium) that's covered all but a few hundred km, so in exceptional condition!
£2700 new, selling for £1200
Now, back on topic... :oops:

Ok turns out there is a Whytes bikes in the uk which is the ones I was actually looking at today, sorry about that.

So can someone check the spec on this one:

https://www.whyte.bike/new-805

Compared to this one:

https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/c...JzVuWIc_8mWYZJsy1XGcDTGWeClZ6GxoCilkQAvD_BwE#

And tell me for spec which one is better. I know its not the total answer but it could be a start.

I might just have to come to peace with the colour, personally I prefer black but this is obviously a rare thing

The crunch for me here is that the OP wants:

To spend a grand, Max.

The bike to last ten years.

Isn't interested in serious downhill.

Now then, a £1k full suspension bike might well be doable and 'ok' at that price, but how much will it cost in frustration and repairs to that shock long before that ten years is up? I very much doubt the bearings etc are going to last, and you certainly won't be getting even mid range components at that price on a FS bike.

Gary, please, find where your nearest local bike shops are and see what one of them says. It's all very well someone recommending certain brands, but if a decent LBS is only five miles away I'd be following their advice and using their services.

A £1k hardtail will be fast, better than you (and me) and will only need pads and chain over the ten years unless you really abuse it.

I'm 6ft 4in tall and find my 2017 Cube Analog 29er hard tail to be good fun and more than good enough at £700 new. For a grand I think you'll be as impressed as I was when it replaced my 2004 Trek hard tail that cost £400 back then.

following this thread as have been thinking of replacing my 20 yr old Halfords basic mountain bike with something more decent. Disc brakes? who would have thought!

that's not bad, but i'm of the opinion that bike colours should be restricted to the following options:

red, orange, yellow, white, silver
For a man of your artistic leanings?

speedvagen-2017-surprise-me-custom-road.jpg

speedvagen-custom-2017-liotr-horizon

baum-coretto-2.jpg

And tell me for spec which one is better. I know its not the total answer but it could be a start.
Sorry Gary, I'd have been all over this like a rash 4 or 5 years ago, but I've no idea of the current scene spec-wise. Both are great brands (Whyte are British, if that makes any difference to you) and very few manufacturers put out any duffers these days. Best advice would be to get a test ride and see which feels 'right' for you...appreciate that could be difficult, or near impossible.

Yeah I guess so,

FWIW I have been to the two local bike shops here in andover today, we have always had good service at 'Just Bikes' who do the whytes stuff, I'll go back up their tomorrow.

Would prefer to keep my grand in the locality, Andover is slowly dying and its no use me bemoaning it every weekend if I spend the lot on line.

I was looking at Whyte bikes earlier this year and was very impressed with them. I ended up going a different route but if I wanted a mtb then Whyte would be very high on the list.

advertisement

Back