advertisement

Harbeth M40.2 vs Graham Audio LS5/8

darkmatter

pfm Member
Just wondering if anyone here has had the chance to compare the two designs from a sound quality point of view?

I would be particularly interested in the comparison between the two for tonal balance, accuracy, dynamics/timing and bass performance.

Thanks,

DM :)

From a conceptual perspective it is better not to have a 2-way speaker with a 12" woofer, even when the tweeter is unusually large as is the case, as this will affect off-axis response.
Also such a woofer will probably require a more complex crossover to massage a few bumps out of the frequency response and splitting the midrange from the bass over two drivers will reduce intermodulation distortion.

I've not listened to either but both speakers would have a place on my shortlist.

That is correct. The mid band of the M40.2, with it's dedicated mid driver, is natural and easy going as it is freed of attempting to produce bass.

Aren't they the same speakers (12" polyprop + Audax tweeter ) that often got "sound of show" at the Hifiwigwam Scalford show? - Ok, I don't think there was an actual "sound of show award" but the majority seemed to be in agreement, as did I.

Aren't they the same speakers (12" polyprop + Audax tweeter ) that often got "sound of show" at the Hifiwigwam Scalford show? - Ok, I don't think there was an actual "sound of show award" but the majority seemed to be in agreement, as did I.

Derek Hughes has been involved with the large BBC boxes like the BC3 and designed the Spendor S100/SP100 and the active SA500 if I'm not mistaken. I think that he also participated in the design of the M40. He's extremely competent.

Derek Hughes has been involved with the large BBC boxes like the BC3 and designed the Spendor S100/SP100 and the active SA500 if I'm not mistaken. I think that he also participated in the design of the M40. He's extremely competent.

You can only ever know as much as you know. He most likely knows more than most.

since the tweeter is large, it can work as a system to sue a 12 inch to a tweeter

both will have advantage and I wouldnt buy without proper audition.

...but I am sitting in front of a pair and they sound delightful.

I am happy for you.

That still doesn't change the limitations of such a topology over that of a 3-way.

There are ways to minimise the off-axis anomalies.
If the tweeter is located concentric to the woofer it is possible to reduce the dispersion of the tweeter at the bottom of its operating range, though the movement of the cone would produce Doppler distortion. Tannoy uses a horn tweeter, Genelec and I think Kef use a waveguide. A waveguide can also be used with a non-concentric tweeter for the same effect.

...but I am sitting in front of a pair and they sound delightful.

I am happy for you.

That still doesn't change the limitations of such a topology over that of a 3-way.

There are ways to minimise the off-axis anomalies.
If the tweeter is located concentric to the woofer it is possible to reduce the dispersion of the tweeter at the bottom of its operating range, though the movement of the cone would produce Doppler and IMD distortion. Tannoy uses a horn tweeter, Genelec and I think Kef use a waveguide. A waveguide can also be used with a non-concentric tweeter for the same effect.

Yes, that's right. But from a price perspective it's apples and oranges: £7K vs £10.5K.

You get what you pay for, in this case an extra driver.

To be honest I wish that Graham Audio had chosen to produce a modern improved version of the BBC models instead of an as faithful as possible one.

I guess rules do not apply to extra-ordinary equipment...

I'll see your Audioexpress and raise you a Neumann KH:

http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/neum...9025D8C4F126AD8C12578B2003A71E9?Open&term=TIM

Yes I'm well aware of the Neumann info-I wonder if those measurements are of a Neumann 2-way?Anyway you really should block your port and get a sub;-).
You brought up Tannoy DC's.
The Tannoy link merely informs you it is perfectly possible to design a 2 way with low IMD-I see TAD managed to do an even better job (@30x the price of the Tannoys).

This is an interesting summation of current thinking re doppler distortion-its a non-issue in most cases other that your pet hate, single drivers....;-)

https://www.stereophile.com/reference/1104red/index.html

BTW2 could you stop stalking?

No man alive has the energy to stalk you Tuga ;-)
If you are intent on criticising designs and their designers it's best to be a bit more circumspect and a bit less dogmatic.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back