advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

PigletsDad

My intelligence test came back negative.
Thanks PD. Unfortunately for me running is a solitary activity. I kind of like it that way, it clears the head. I might register for my local park run to see if I can get used to running and talking to strangers at the same time.

I sort of flip-flop. I love running by myself, but also enjoy going out in a group. I went out with my club yesterday evening, for the first time for ages. They have groups at different paces, walk-run, run-walk, 12min/mile, 11min/mile .. and so on. It was good to catch up with everybody, hear the gossip, people's race stories and injury woes.

Depending on how I feel, and what I want to do, I will pick different groups on different evenings. Most clubs are happy for non-members to run with them. I expect you local club will be different in detail, but wortha try to see if you like it.

I took my 9-year-old son along to club last night. They were very encouraging to him, and - I think - he enjoyed it, though it did involve trail running and hills, which he found a little bit too much. He loved the cake at the end though :)

Not much going on for me - I've just been doing fartlek dashes between lamp posts now and again when I'm running. If nothing else, it gives me a chance to practice my 'fast' running technique and feel as if I'm going somewhere a wee bit faster than usual lol

Oh, and I'm enjoying the drop in temperature - what a relief after that epic summer!

I'll wear a bright orange shirt with a blue triangle on the front

Hi Sean, just landed back in Blighty and will be there in the morning. Will wear a white Sydney marathon tee - shouldn't be too many of them either!

Just been in Kalmar, Sweden, with work, where there's an ironman competition tomorrow. The place is heaving with fit looking people and expensive bicycles. There was a mini tri on Wednesday evening which was fun to watch. Got out for a couple of 10km trots during the week - lovely place.

So... the first 'PFM club run' is finished! (I think it's the first?..well, there were two of us, we've got to start somewhere!)

A pleasure to meet and run with Sean at Horsham parkrun this morning, and a great morning for it, with 475 runners.

My cunning plan for Sean to pace a hungover me to a new PB didn't quite work. I blame it on not being hungover enough (even after celebrating my daughter's A level results last night).
Started too fast as usual. No PBs, but we finished within a few secs of each other, and my second fastest PR time, so was very happy with that!

Great to meet you Sean - next venue Boston??!!

Rob is too modest - I was well beaten today (by about 20 seconds). Great to meet you Rob. Hopefully I'll give you more competition next time. I'm back to Boston tomorrow so any PFM runners who happen to be in Boston (MA) on a Saturday morning let me know and I'll meet you for the Boston Jamaica Plain park run.

Great to hear you guys met up for a run yesterday and well done Rob for pipping Sean at the post as it were. What I infer from the result is that Sean, your beer per training miles ratio is wrong. If your current beer per training miles is 2:1, try upping it to 5:1 and see how you get on. You're clearly not drinking enough beer at present so just think how much faster you'll be able to run by simply tweaking your beer per training miles ratio - I think we'll see you in Tokyo for sure once you've made the adjustment. And goodness knows how much faster Rob would go if he upped his beer per training miles ratio - I think we'd be looking at an epic film franchise and world domination at the very least! ;)

Couple of days ago I went on a Brooks run on the coast of South West France. Great fun, about 50 of us did a 6k loop. Free t-shirt, recovery snacks etc & 20% off a pair of Brooks trainers but the best thing about it was running in a group. Couple of months ago I went to an event organised by Saucony. Brands seem to be attempting to gain market share by experience rather than traditional advertising/marketing.

South west France recovery snacks...foie gras, confit de canard, loads of wine, pelfort brun

Foot update -still hurts , still swollen . Using it a little more . Raising game in gym so vertical climber session followed by rowing sprint intervals plus all the other stuff. The physio has me walking around the block too and a load of other foot related etc. It’s harder than the gym cardio, especially the walking .

I'm just back from having my eyes tested and one of modern sales tools involves having your face scanned by a tablet and then an app works out the style of glasses most suitable to your face - box style, curvy style, etc; it turns out I've got an oval face so glasses that are moderately curved are the ones that would work best for me. Anyway, I nearly burst out laughing when the sales assistant turned the tablet round to show me a few examples of glasses most suitable for my face because, to my mild horror and not so mild amusement, staring back at me was the face of a forty-five-year-old man who looked like he was about to keel over and die, or sleep for a hundred years - whichever comes first. As you can probably tell that tired looking man was me, but in my defence, your honours, I'd been out for an eight-mile run this morning for the first time since June, so it was harder than normal. And as if that wasn't bad enough, I had a proper big breakfast when I got home so my body was busy dealing that as well when I had my eyes tested. Lesson? Don't venture out in public after a hard run lol

Bloody stung by god knows what again whilst running for the third time this summer! This one drew blood and developed a big lump then just as I felt the piercing sting the heavens opened up! It felt like the wrath of the gods had sent hell and damnation down...or someone has one of those voodoo dolls...hmm, egodissolve...take that....and that.....ha ha ha ha ha.............

On hols in Greece with my two daughters. I’m a reluctant swimmer generally but this week I thought give it go with a view to continuing up when I get home. To see if I could fall in love with it essentially .
Transpires I’m a decent swimmer and have put a couple of decent early morning shifts in so far , as well as splashing around with the kids. There is a good council place up the road from me.

Last edited:
Bloody stung by god knows what again whilst running for the third time this summer! This one drew blood and developed a big lump then just as I felt the piercing sting the heavens opened up! It felt like the wrath of the gods had sent hell and damnation down...or someone has one of those voodoo dolls...hmm, egodissolve...take that....and that.....ha ha ha ha ha.............

Avoided stings but keep swallowing blimin flies, hacking and spluttering along the lanes trying to evict the unwelcome guest.

Don't mind running in the rain fortunately.

Auchterarder half in three weeks, considering signing up for Loch Ness Marathon in just over four weeks time. That, plus Dramathon, would take me to five marathons in 2018 - a nice ring to it that has...

Auchterarder half in three weeks, considering signing up for Loch Ness Marathon in just over four weeks time. That, plus Dramathon, would take me to five marathons in 2018 - a nice ring to it that has...

with one John to rule them all...

That, plus Dramathon, would take me to five marathons in 2018 - a nice ring to it that has...

I watched this film (on US netflix) a couple of nights ago about a guy who did 50 ironman triathlons in 50 consecutive days, one in each of the 50 states:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6183106/

No matter how much you achieve in life there's always someone out that who can make it seem rather small in comparison.

advertisement

Back