advertisement

Who's heard the Kii Three speakers?

Can you tell us what these added distortions are Keith, how they are added and how we would know when we hear this distortion?
Distortion is something added to the original signal,so if you compare input to output, REW ( room EQ wizard) if you want to try for yourself.
Keith

Distortion is something added to the original signal,so if you compare input to output, REW ( room EQ wizard) if you want to try for yourself.
Keith

You haven't answered my questions. What are these distortions? If they are being added what are they, and how would the average person reading this know they are hearing this distortion you have stated in your post?

Surely if a system can not play distorted signals its failing!? Music/noise isn't just about perfect pitch/tone/clarity etc... reverb for example is distortion

You manufacturer amplifiers Graham, you must know what distortion is and how to measure it right?
Keith

You're right, I do know Keith, but it is obvious by not answering my questions that you do not know!!! You are just making statements to elevate the products you sell and put down others. If you are going to do this at least have the knowledge to back up your statements...

Maybe you could tell me this: what level of distortion can the human ear detect during the playback of music?

I have learnt that there doesn’t appear to be any distortion measurements for your amps Graham, have I missed them?
I agree it is an interesting video, more information on a car tyre...
Keith

Many closely multi-miked RCA & CBS classical and pop recordings from the 1960s were pretty poorly recorded. One could go further back in time and state that recordings from the acoustic era are pretty poor because of technical limitations. However, a poor recording can still provide immense musical enjoyment. As I type this I am listening to a reissue of the Memphis Jug Band on the Frog label. Very poor recording, loads of fun.

So poor recordings do not need to get the chop, a good system just exposes them for what they are.

P.S:- I do not suffer from a "false ontology of transparency" whatever that means.

Perhaps some of you folks with the false ontology of transparency could give us some examples of what you classify as 'poor recordings'. I noticed in a recent reviewer of the Keythree mentioned that 'Astral Weeks' sounded tiring and harsh. Are going to chalk that down as a 'poor recording'? If so, how many of the greatest pieces of music in recorded history are going to get the chop?

I have learnt that there doesn’t appear to be any distortion measurements for your amps Graham, have I missed them?
Keith

Yes, you have Keith. Amplifier power outputs are all quoted at full power and at 1% THD.

The important specs and information are displayed and listed on the website. Amplifier power outputs are all quoted at 1% THD at full power. The point in the video, which you should have picked up on, is that distortion during music is heard at levels greater than 1%-3%. In fact the lowest distortion heard in the video presentation was in fact 11% (1kHz), and as high as 35% before listeners actually heard it.

Just for the record I have shown below Paul Miller's measurements (HiFi News) of the Tron Seven Phono stage. Distortion is 0.027-0.12% (20Hz-20KHz, re. 0dBV) and 25.3v output 1% THD.

Screen-Shot-2018-08-18-at-16.05.27.png

Yes no relevance to the KiiTHREE at all, which are just transparent, neutral, natural ,revealing whichever term you prefer.
Their transparency is easily demonstrated when you directly compare them to any other speaker/system.
Keith

I've heard Kii3s at home and despite them being very good, the above is simply not true. The bass in particular has a noticeable character compared to my own speakers.

I would like to hear them with the “bottom boxes”.

Does anyone know whether they are going to be at the Hammersmith show next month?

Last edited:
I've heard Kii3s at home and despite them being very good, the above is simply not true. The bass in particular has a noticeable character compared to my own speakers.

Yes, that very much parallels my own experience and thoughts. Room gain (boom) was very well controlled indeed, but there was a clear character change in the bass around where the cardioid cancellation takes place. Of course this was a relatively quick home demo and more fiddling with the settings may well have addressed the above (relatively minor) issue.

The cardioid response of both the Kiis and Dutch&Dutch are centered around the midrange.
If I recollect you didn’t set up the kiis in the same room as your system, a direct comparison would have been far more revealing.
Keith

The cardioid response of both the Kiis and Dutch&Dutch are centered around the midrange.
If I recollect you didn’t set up the kiis in the same room as your system, a direct comparison would have been far more revealing.
Keith

But would it be too revealing I think is the question ?

.sjb

The Kiis were set up in the same place as my own speakers.
The bass was distinctly one-note and not particularly extended versus my own speakers. Paradoxically, the bass started and stopped properly (one note bass is normally accompanied by bass overhang).

advertisement

Back