advertisement

The runners' thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So back to running... I've been rigorously following the GBT training plan (Garden, Beer, Thinkaboutit), and it was working great until it started raining...which makes the G a little less attractive.
Did a few short runs last week to wake up, Parkrun Saturday, then had the bright idea of pulling the bike out of the garage on Sunday and hitting the Southdowns Way. Beautiful but hot day. This was good because it was really quiet up there. Did about 25miles, stopped at a pub for some refueling {Summer Lightning} then wobbled home. Must admit I could hardly move by the time I got home, and my legs were moaning all the next day. Different muscles and not used enough (reminder to self...must get out on the bike more)...

A gentle 10km on Wednesday morning.

I have entered a half at the end of September, but decided I needed some more motivation so entered another half in mid September, a fortnight before the other - 4 laps of Goodwood motor racing circuit, so hopefully a fast course.

Parkrun tomorrow unless it's degging down.

Sean - are you planning to go? If not, next weekend is still on for me too.

edited to add - Spiderous - good question. I find I just set my pace to how I'm feeling. I think I'd find it difficult to really push on if I felt crap, and likewise, really hard to run slow if I felt like going for a blast. Thankfully I don't always feel like a blast..

aLo972f.jpg

Foot update

At least another 12 months until complete heal , if ever. May never run pain free again . Driver may be charged with serious crime. Lawyers lineing me up loads of appointments with medical experts. Getting regular physio. Still in gym most days and getting into rowing reps. Probably fitter in some ways than when I was running. According to my Aussie sports physio...exercise is the key.

Quiet indeed!

News Flash first..if anyone is interested...Asics Kayano 24s (wot I wobble along in..) are on sale today at the Asics outlet store, 30% off and another 10% if you use code WELCOME10, so £94.50 delivered, which is a great price. Just ordered a pair.

https://outlet.asics.com/gb/en-gb/gel-kayano/c/AO80100000/
I never got on with ASIC Ks when I tried them, an Adidas man myself. Its surprising how shoes can be so individual and unique to each person.

Good to hear you keep going John, you have great strength and courage to continue your rehabilitation, I think we are all hoping you can run again one day again. I didn't think I would be able to run again as everyone knows but here I am...

Good idea Adam..hills will have the desired effect!!

John, if you can row, can you cycle, or is it a no no?
I rarely get into a gym but if I do, a rowing session is always first, assuming there is one. I think it's probably the best all round workout you can get, so keep it up.

Last edited:
Hi Robs sorry for the late notice - I can't make it to Horsham park run tomorrow but I plan to be there on the 18th.

No worries, next week it is!

I am of course expecting to turn up with a stinking hangover and for you to pace me to a new PB!;)

Hope you're enjoying the UK weather...you've missed weeks of unrelenting sun and heat to...surprise!! ....rain and cloud..:oops:

Great to hear we're still out there - albeit we're not quite at full strength thanks to some driver (sorry to hear your rehab is going to take so long, John). I'm just ticking over myself, although I hope to do more running the cooler it gets: 10 degrees or less is my motto :)

As for running speed, I think Sage Canaday said that most runs should be relatively comfortable effort-wise and that we shouldn't be aiming for PBs everytime we go for a run. I think he also said that if we run hard one day, we should definitely run relatively easy if we're running the next day or the next time: whether that means dropping the pace, distance or both.

Yep, still here. Not done a whole lot of running since my last marathon; actually, I've not been feeling 100% although that's no excuse. I had planned to ease off for a week or two, and this is coming to the end of that second week so in a short while I'll be getting ready to do the inaugural Loch Leven Parkrun, and (if I can get a pass out) Trail Sunday tomorrow. Then, I need to get my shit together and work out a 10/11-week plan to take me through a half-marathon (Auchterarder), a couple of smaller races and on to the Dramathon full trail marathon at the end of October. I'm also not entirely against doing a double, adding the Gent Marathon the week after the Dramathon, although that might be too much...

Oh, and physio booked for this coming Thursday to re-evaluate the groin etc.

Hoping to get back on it, been jogging around in the beach near John’s, hoping some of those Scottish super-powers rub off. Still a bit unsure of the calf, I think it’s the scar tissue breaking down now that I feel, but I’m very cautious. I’m going to build up slowly to a 10k in September, hopefully it won’t go again.

Good idea Adam..hills will have the desired effect!!

John, if you can row, can you cycle, or is it a no no?
I rarely get into a gym but if I do, a rowing session is always first, assuming there is one. I think it's probably the best all round workout you can get, so keep it up.

Just a thought (and I will delete shortly) - from a legal point of view it may not be good to be posting on a public forum that you're fitter now than before the *&^$* tried to kill you? Maybe I'm over paranoid but..

You might have a point re the posting!

The bossy but charming Aussie sports physio is very encouraging re exercise and wants me to challenge the foot in order to get it better. My alternate day run which was three, four or a hilly five miles depending on my mood has now become some cross training that is longer and more intense in the gym. Like the other days of the week too, which is why my fitness has taken a lift. It’s all about the recovery and if the drivers legals take issue they can f@ck right off!

But I really miss the running and the outside , and the flexibility . Like being away somewhere with work and leaving a strange hotel in a strange town for a run.

Bossy physio has suggested the indoor bike to get more mobilisation into my ankle but I’m not a fan and also it would make the sessions too long . Medium term I’ve been thinking about trying to fall in love with cycling and swimming. Problem is the former is bloody dangerous, he says , and I don’t swim very well

J

Problem is the former is bloody dangerous

I stay off the roads as much as possible, for exactly that reason. But IIRC you are fairly close to me and the South Downs - there's a lot of really good off road in this area (though muddy when the weather turns in). Then the only danger is yourself!

Hoping to get back on it, been jogging around in the beach near John’s, hoping some of those Scottish super-powers rub off. Still a bit unsure of the calf, I think it’s the scar tissue breaking down now that I feel. I’m going to build up slowly to a 10k in September. I’ve been fed the ‘challenge it’ line as well

I am still here... ish. I am actually in Asia midway through a two week trip visiting Shanghai, Taipei, Bangkok and Jakarta.

Managed a run on Tuesday in Shanghai but it was freaking hot even at 6pm or so, probably around 32 deg C so it was very slow and even gratefully stopped at a few traffic intersections to wait for the lights which I usually never do.

I has got even hotter since then so it has been gym ever since. I really wanted to run today in Taipei but it was around 38 during the day and even at 8pm was 32 and humid so did a steady 5k on the hotel treadmill instead.

Not hopeful about Bangkok over the next couple of days but I will really try to do something just to get a run logged onto Strava ;-)

Sadly the 18th will not happen as I fly in that morning and can't get there in time not to mention being jet lagged. Have fun!

While I am here, a lot of people talk about the importance of doing slow miles. I am naturally inwardly competitive and really struggle to run slowly (slow for me that is). Even when using Runkeeper if the App tells me my pace is slower than I know I am capable of then feel the need to speed up. This probably explains my injury record.

Any tips on how to run slowly (sounds like a stupid question I know).

Go running with somebody else, either naturally slower or with good pace control. Let them set the pace.

I find that if I start with somebody at a relaxed pace for a few miles, even if they turn back, I can keep going like that easily enough.

Thanks PD. Unfortunately for me running is a solitary activity. I kind of like it that way, it clears the head. I might register for my local park run to see if I can get used to running and talking to strangers at the same time.

Hi robs and anyone else in the Horsham vicinity I'll be heading to the park run on Saturday. I'll wear a bright orange shirt with a blue triangle on the front - it's a vile but highly visible running shirt that came with a sprint tri I did last year. Hope to see one or more of you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back