advertisement

Wam on the verge of change

The Wam was always a business in its original form. I never had an issue with the concept of the original sale (to a record dealer, as if combining a hifi forum and that was ever a good idea...), it has been the business decisions since then that have brought it down.

Oh, and
i-see-you-have-a-chip-on-your-shoulder-are-you-going-to-eat-that-e1d07.png

I just like an alternative place to discuss HiFi, Computer based in particular which tends to be lacking here on PFM. Naimy black discs are many’s idea of heaven.
Variety is the source of richness.

WAM changes its verges

Just remembered I emailed Admin on Weds begging to be forgiven for speaking about what they are now doing (and asking for my Super Wammer payment to be refunded<J>)

Perhaps is was because Duvet, here now, banned me twice within 3 days make me truly banned.

The Wam was always a business in its original form. I never had an issue with the concept of the original sale (to a record dealer, as if combining a hifi forum and that was ever a good idea...), it has been the business decisions since then that have brought it down.

Oh, and
i-see-you-have-a-chip-on-your-shoulder-are-you-going-to-eat-that-e1d07.png

This....

I rarely take much interest in the forums but I would like to know how safe the yearly show now at Kegworth is likely to be? Are the people putting the time and effort into organising this strongly tied to the Wam management or tied more to continuing a successful bakeoff-type show?

I rarely take much interest in the forums but I would like to know how safe the yearly show now at Kegworth is likely to be? Are the people putting the time and effort into organising this strongly tied to the Wam management or tied more to continuing a successful bakeoff-type show?
I've never been to one, but it always struck me that this was a stroke of genius on the part of James Palmer and the original group that started HFWW. A show where a large collection of genuine enthusiasts could demonstrate their own stuff to other genuine enthusiasts - nobody, to the best of my knowledge, had ever done such a thing before. From what I can gather, it was and continues to be an enormous success. Any dilution of the original concept would be a tragedy

I've never been to one, but it always struck me that this was a stroke of genius on the part of James Palmer and the original group that started HFWW. A show where a large collection of genuine enthusiasts could demonstrate their own stuff to other genuine enthusiasts - nobody, to the best of my knowledge, had ever done such a thing before. From what I can gather, it was and continues to be an enormous success. Any dilution of the original concept would be a tragedy

It was the Chester Group that organised and ran the first Scalford Show but decided that it wasn't going to make sufficient money, so sold it to James.

The show will go on. Daft not to. The venue at Kegworth has little in common with Scalford Hall though. I was chatting with another very long time wambot last night about this very thing. Thing is, whoever puts the show on has to be up front with the money. It's a huge risk. The weather this year did nothing for attendance but the atmosphere was good and the exhibitors put the usual work and time in.

It was the Chester Group that organised and ran the first Scalford Show but decided that it wasn't going to make sufficient money, so sold it to James.
Does this mean it is considered to be a commodity worth significant sums of money owned by Hi-Fi WigWam Ltd rather than, say, an enthusiast organising a bunch of enthusiasts for their own enjoyment? Is it financially valuable in the sense the financial profit is worth the effort? I can see that it might be profitable in other ways. What is likely to happen to it if the current owners of HFWW simply stopped and went off to earn a living in other ways?

Does this mean it is considered to be a commodity worth significant sums of money owned by Hi-Fi WigWam Ltd rather than, say, an enthusiast organising a bunch of enthusiasts for their own enjoyment? Is it financially valuable in the sense the financial profit is worth the effort? I can see that it might be profitable in other ways. What is likely to happen to it if the current owners of HFWW simply stopped and went off to earn a living in other ways?
Who really knows. Even if the forum had new owners, it doesn't guarantee they will have the funding to secure the show. Nothing is an absolute and we just have to wait and see.

In reponse to quote “I’m not sure whether a show like this has ever been done before”
Back in 1993 Steve Petch aka ( The Progmeister) organised a group called “HiFi Heretics” around the Hartlepool area,it’s intention was to form a group of Hifi enthusiasts to show your gear and listen to tunes etc, maybe in a pub or whatever..his idea was maybe 10 years too early but it later was resurrected under the guise of “NEBO” which become a success for him and to the attendees,

Quote “what would happen to it if HFWW current owners decided to simply stop and went off to earn a living elsewhere”

Then it’s all round to Ricks for homemade chips

Reactions: MVJ
Not the famous 'home made chips' There only bloody chips mate:p:p

Not the famous 'home made chips' There only bloody chips mate:p:p
Not famous. But used to be unique on the bake off rota, until Tim copied it. Never had to throw any in the bin! But that's hardly surprising considering the guests, eh Steve.

Does this mean it is considered to be a commodity worth significant sums of money owned by Hi-Fi WigWam Ltd rather than, say, an enthusiast organising a bunch of enthusiasts for their own enjoyment? Is it financially valuable in the sense the financial profit is worth the effort? ...

I remember the James, HFWW's original owner, saying that Scalford mostly wiped its face, paid for an annual curry night for the mod team and helped fund the forum for part of the following year. I suspect it was a tad more profitable than that but who knows?

There are obvious opportunities for monetisation of the show, but I think they'd have to be introduced gradually to avoid alienating what's left of the membership that's willing to exhibit (aiui, at significant cost to themselves).

I remember the James, HFWW's original owner, saying that Scalford mostly wiped its face, paid for an annual curry night for the mod team and helped fund the forum for part of the following year. I suspect it was a tad more profitable than that but who knows?

There are obvious opportunities for monetisation of the show, but I think they'd have to be introduced gradually to avoid alienating what's left of the membership that's willing to exhibit (aiui, at significant cost to themselves).
The costs are significant whichever way you look at it. The exhibitors do it purely for the craic. Usually 2 nights room costs plus insurance plus travel. It stacks up.

advertisement

Back