advertisement

Coventry bakeoff - Sunday 26th August 2018

i.j.russell

pfm Member
Room for 10 or so for a day of tunes, and maybe a bit of kit swapping, between 11am and 7pm. I’ll provide tea, coffee and fruit juice plus pizza mid-afternoon. Bring music on vinyl and/or CD/USB.

Excellent offer. Cannot make it but more listening together and sharing music cannot be bad. Bon chance.

Will mains cables be welcomed?

First bake off I have seen listed on this site,hope you have a good response,alas a bit to far for me to travel.

First bake off I have seen listed on this site,hope you have a good response,alas a bit to far for me to travel.

I tried listing here before and got pretty much no response. I don't know why people here (and on AOS) don't seem interested - it's just a group of music/hifi lovers spending the day together listening to loads of music and chatting. It's a really relaxed day where we have pizza outside on my patio (weather permitting).

I've been running them via the Wam and then Audio Abattoir regularly for the last four years. I've had a few 'keyboard warriors' attend over the years and without exception they have turned out to be really nice people although I'm not willing to test this theory with HFS members!

I ran/attended a few DAC bake-offs about three years ago. Four in total, and we came to conclusive undisputed conclusions, which was nice.*

Anyway, thanks for the kind offer. I’d be happy to venture out to Coventry if the event gets traction, but would need to leave before 7pm (though could conceivably start earlier).

*and then I woke up. There were several threads with dozens of pages of argument! :)

Anyway, thanks for the kind offer. I’d be happy to venture out to Coventry if the event gets traction, but would need to leave before 7pm (though could conceivably start earlier).

I've advertised this elsewhere and the are half a dozen coming already. The timings are not strict - people get here when they can and leave when they have to or want to but it will finish at 7pm.

It's a relaxed day of tunes not a hifi comparison although there will be kit swapped occasionally.

It does seem odd, even in its death robes its Wammers* that get together, I've been to PFM and AOS events are they're far too serious.
We had pages and pages about a Notts audio club and met in a pub !

*Most of the active members are on AA, but it all started on the Wam.

**I'd normally be on the list but already booked up that weekend.

yes its a busy time of year but looking forward how all get on , great to see various folks from AA and pfm going and aos , a truly multiforum extravaganza :)

I've been running them via the Wam and then Audio Abattoir regularly for the last four years. I've had a few 'keyboard warriors' attend over the years and without exception they have turned out to be really nice people although I'm not willing to test this theory with HFS members!

My first bake off was at Duvet's place some 10 years back,since then I've hosted 2 a year via the Wam and always get a good turn out of people and kit,had 3 TT's turn up at my last one.Whilst the Wam isn't the place it used to be I only post my dates there as it still seems the only forum where they are popular,did try AoS and had 1 person turn up.

I have had some great times at Ian’s bakeoff and made some great friends through the Bakeoff events which were the strong point of the Wam and are still organised on AA and the Wam ..They are a good way of meeting fellow hi fi enthusiasts,hearing new music and swapping kit,as well as being a nice social event..It is expected though not set in stone for the attendees to bring some goodies whether it be cake ,home baked or Mr Kipling lol or savoury,this is all in with the spirit of the event..
Ian is trying to keep this activity going as they are few and far between now ..
With this one being on a Bank Holiday sadly I can’t make it due to other plans but I will hopefully will be on the list for his next one..
It is maybe a case for like the High Street versus the Internet shopping ...either use it or lose it.. so folks don’t be wary of putting your name especially newbies as you will be made welcome and the spiced pizzas once tasted you will be back

Like Ian I have had lots of Bake offs at my house Famously known as the Oktoberfest bake off due to it being Early October each year. My record for attendees was 41 over two days with two rooms running & nice local pork pies & goodies in the kitchen it was generally a real hoot. I did make it newbies got first dibs that being anyone who had'nt been to mine before or never attended a bake off before & once there were a good few newbies I then opened it up to the regulars I also had room for overnighters so it ran Sat/Sun which people could travel further & stay over.

Never got to go to any of Ian's bake off's But if your not sure about going just give it a try you will be hooked great fun great people all sharing the same interests whats not to like. I had a few PFM/Wammer crossover peeps who came & became regulars. I think Ian came to mine once or twice I can't remember now. MVJ.
Ps,
I will be have another bake off later in the year (probably Oktober):cool: so keep your eyes peeled.

[QUOTE="MVJ, post: 3441693, member: 16688"My record for attendees was 41 over two days with two rooms running & nice local pork pies & goodies in the kitchen it was generally a real hoot.[/QUOTE]

Flippin ell, you should start charging.

Reactions: MVJ
[QUOTE="MVJ, post: 3441693, member: 16688"My record for attendees was 41 over two days with two rooms running & nice local pork pies & goodies in the kitchen it was generally a real hoot.

Flippin ell, you should start charging.[/QUOTE]

I did £50 a head but no bugger ever paid it I'm owed a fortune Lol!

My biggest problem was setting a number of attendees & sticking to it..

Basically I could'nt say no. :p

advertisement

Back