advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure this is the right place to talk about the original m-dac anymore, but I am looking to upgrade my q-dac to something with two optical inputs and a remote control. Is the m-dac still a good choice or has it been overtaken?

John, you've advised me before that with the DD2A if I want a second set of outputs to use for a sub woofer then I'd be better using a Y cable on the XLR outputs rather than use the RCA outputs for the sub. However I want to "manage" my subs with a DSP unit that only has RCA inputs. So I have a question; I know it's possible to create a pseudo Balanced cable when going from RCA to XLR, but does that cable configuration also work if you are doing the opposite I.e. going from XLR to RCA?

Hi Ian,

If your going to "Unbalance" the XLR output you might as well use the RCA output. Do the Martin Logan Subs only have RCA input?

I’m not sure this is the right place to talk about the original m-dac anymore, but I am looking to upgrade my q-dac to something with two optical inputs and a remote control. Is the m-dac still a good choice or has it been overtaken?

I'm still using the original MDAC (minus the case and with different psu) but if I were shopping around for a new one, I'd consider the MDAC+ (more expensive, quieter psu circuitry) and the offerings from Pro-ject (some are JW designs with newer chips.)

In one of Paul McGowan's you-tube videos he emphasises irrc that the circuit layout for any given chip is pretty much dictated by the manufacturer - hence it's the subsequent analogue circuitry and the psu regulation/separation that determine how it actually sounds. (I think the ps.audio top-of the-range DAC is around $6,000, but the principle applies regardless of price.)

There are also some interesting comparisons with Schiit DACs on Head-Fi.org under the heading 'Life after Yggdrasil'. Lots of choice out there.....

Hi Ian,

If your going to "Unbalance" the XLR output you might as well use the RCA output. Do the Martin Logan Subs only have RCA input?
Ok thanks John - I was worried that using both outputs at once would degrade the XLR output in some way . . .
I'm going to use 3 subs using this software:
https://www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org/mso/html/index.html

I therefore need to manage the subs via a miniDSP 2x4HD which only has RCA inputs / outputs.

I'll have 2 next week :).

Need a bigger room for more :(
I found just adding a second made an immediate worthwhile improvement and that was before I did anything at all by way of calibration.
Earl Geddes says that if you are using 3 or 4 subs then they don't need to be big. Maybe you can find space for a small 8" job as a third one . . .

I'll have 2 next week :).

Need a bigger room for more :(

Paul,

Do you still have that single Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL? I've just purchased a second-hand pair from the US for our listening setup - to test the pending Amps + MDAC2 designs (cheap, but not in great condition), I'd not be surprised if they arrive damaged in shipping so I could be very interested in your single unit :)

This seems to be a problem buying used ESLs; it’s almost like buying used Tubes - you have no idea how far the panels have degraded 8-/

Glad you will have one ‘new’ one to compare with

Paul

By the time the MDAC board does arrive this is what Stoke on Trent will look like...

Future_city_1000px.jpg

This seems to be a problem buying used ESLs; it’s almost like buying used Tubes - you have no idea how far the panels have degraded 8-/

Glad you will have one ‘new’ one to compare with

Paul

The ESL's I purchased are 3 years old (2015) - panels should still be in there youth :)

Sam,

We should have confirmed pricing on the Detox chassis in the next couple of weeks - we will request payment for the chassis, and once they arrive in Europe we will move to electronics production.
So, are we there yet with the chassis price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back