advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does DSD512 work via streaming? I tested awhile back from local play - USB Bus Bandwidth will be pushed... But it be good news if we can stream DSD512 over LAN.
Yes it works via streamer when receiving music upsampled to native DSD512 from Roon :cool:

Sam,

We should have confirmed pricing on the Detox chassis in the next couple of weeks - we will request payment for the chassis, and once they arrive in Europe we will move to electronics production.

Great news, John. Will be nice if DETOX ships with the next couple of months! :D

Please refresh my memory...
Will the DETOX have two USB ports so that a double-headed (1 power, 1 data) cable can be used?

Hi John,

Will this be a CM3 Lite with eMMC on the streamer board or an SD card? What will the remaining beta units ship with?
No it is not a SD card, but eMMC memory. You can see that John planned for this option from the start. Just look at any early picture of the Streamer.

So it will be CM3 Lite and eMMC mounted on the Stramer PCB.

John/Others: how easy is it to recap a (L2) MDAC with faulty caps? Due to the delays with MDAC2, I figured that I might try to repair my MDAC myself. I know the PSU caps and a fair number of those on the main DAC board had bulged, so my plan would be to get good quality replacements (recommendations welcome) and carefully replace them to bring it back to life. The alternative is for it to remain faulty, so there’s little to be lost in trying (provided I take care).

It's a complete PITA unless you are a really proficient electronics engineer.

The 4 layer board means that heat from soldering iron is very quickly soaked up. The worst ones are nearest the heat sinks. The easiest are nearest the edge of the board.
Avoid unless you have very good equipment and proficiency.
Apparently the later boards are more tricky than my early version.

Audiolab apparently do a FOC swop though what they would make of an upgraded board I can only guess.

Great news, John. Will be nice if DETOX ships with the next couple of months! :D

Please refresh my memory...
Will the DETOX have two USB ports so that a double-headed (1 power, 1 data) cable can be used?

There are 2 USB outputs - an Isolated USB1.1 and a non isolated USB1.1 / USB2.0

Each output has it own supply regulator and should not be parallel (using those leads that combine the power outputs).

John/Others: how easy is it to recap a (L2) MDAC with faulty caps? Due to the delays with MDAC2, I figured that I might try to repair my MDAC myself. I know the PSU caps and a fair number of those on the main DAC board had bulged, so my plan would be to get good quality replacements (recommendations welcome) and carefully replace them to bring it back to life. The alternative is for it to remain faulty, so there’s little to be lost in trying (provided I take care).

Hi John,

Working on the 4 layer PCB is very hard - not something I recommend without professional rework tools.

Two options, "Apparently" Audiolab will repair for free? or I can recap and service for GBP100 + shipping.

Hi John,

Will this be a CM3 Lite with eMMC on the streamer board or an SD card? What will the remaining beta units ship with?

The current Beta PCB's have already been built without the eMMC (intended to be used with the standard 4GB CM3) - I have invested in full BGA rework equipment so its possible to rework the PCB's to add the extra Memory - but I'm still scared of working with BGA's and for sure would not say I'm skilled so worry how successful I'll be at post production mounting of the BGA eMMC memory.

There is also the extra cost of the BGA memory + CM3Lite (I've already purchased standard CM3's for the Beta units).

There are 2 USB outputs - an Isolated USB1.1 and a non isolated USB1.1 / USB2.0

Each output has it own supply regulator and should not be parallel (using those leads that combine the power outputs).

Pangea, etc., have double headed USB cables with separated data and power legs. When used, one port outputs only power and the other only data which are recombined at the target device.
pgusbxl_hand.jpg

So, I am hoping the USB1.1 would supply power and USB2.0 would supply data in this case?!

Pangea, etc., have double headed USB cables with separated data and power legs. When used, one port outputs only power and the other only data which are recombined at the target device.
pgusbxl_hand.jpg

So, I am hoping the USB1.1 would supply power and USB2.0 would supply data in this case?!
I tried this cable with S2D with an LPS supplying 5v. That didnt work, as the power leg also needs USB handshake. With a proper USB port it should work. Good cable overall.

I tried this cable with S2D with an LPS supplying 5v. That didnt work, as the power leg also needs USB handshake. With a proper USB port it should work. Good cable overall.

Thanks, Dimitry! My DAC needs the handshake as well but it sounds like Pangea will work with DETOX. :)

John, you've advised me before that with the DD2A if I want a second set of outputs to use for a sub woofer then I'd be better using a Y cable on the XLR outputs rather than use the RCA outputs for the sub. However I want to "manage" my subs with a DSP unit that only has RCA inputs. So I have a question; I know it's possible to create a pseudo Balanced cable when going from RCA to XLR, but does that cable configuration also work if you are doing the opposite I.e. going from XLR to RCA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back