advertisement

‘Unbalanced is Best'? a comparison of balanced and unbalanced

I don't think you read the thread with due attention.

And perhaps not even the last phrase of the OP...
Of course I did. And the HFC article.

The elementary point that seems beyond you remains. If balanced sounds worse then it is due to inadequate equipment rather than the nature of the connection. In the general domestic case they should sound identical.

It's simple. If you hear a difference and SE is preferred then you have inadequate equipment. If balanced is preferred with a short connection then you may have a signal 0v problem or earth loop.

Paul

The elementary point that seems beyond you remains. If balanced sounds worse then it is due to inadequate equipment rather than the nature of the connection. In the general domestic case they should sound identical.

It's simple. If you hear a difference and SE is preferred then you have inadequate equipment. If balanced is preferred with a short connection then you may have a signal 0v problem or earth loop.

Paul

If you think it's that simple then you obviously didn't read my last post! Or the ones before that...

I

And all the above is just scratching the surface of the subject, so dear reader, you may imagine my thoughts at "so what's all this phono V XLR plugs. Which ones best":D
Personally, I would prefer XLR whether balanced or unbalanced, but the domestic audio world don't work like that, unfortunately. And they do take up a lot of real estate.
Also Speakons and Powercons, but they do limit experimentation.

Paul

Your post above seems to indicate that you may suffer from the Dunning-Kruger's effect.

It would be interesting to use SET's in bridged mode... maybe even with an extra output transformer between the two bridged SET's and the speaker....
I'll maybe come back to that later;)

Reading this thread makes me want to hang up my PFM hat.. The original post was great, it’s heart warming to hear of a revelation. . . an audible difference that one thing sounds better than another...

That’s why we all enjoy this hobby.

The crap that followed it was embarrassing to read, some people need a chill pill. lol

I have had some ‘interesting’ cable experiences, but sweet jesus I’d never mention them on here.. :)

It would be interesting to use SET's in bridged mode... maybe even with an extra output transformer between the two bridged SET's and the speaker....
I'll maybe come back to that later;)
You can never have too many transformers!
801pp.GIF

Reading this thread makes me want to hang up my PFM hat.. The original post was great, it’s heart warming to hear of a revelation. . . an audible difference that one thing sounds better than another...

The crap that followed it was embarrassing to read, some people need a chill pill. lol

I have had some ‘interesting’ cable experiences, but sweet jesus I’d never mention them on here.. :)
Oh give it a rest. I’ve never seen so much limp whinging , faux offence, snowflake reactions for a long time. Some are happy to expect their choices to be validated but when others express an opposing view/ choice they’ve made-we all have ears after all, they can’t cope. Now that is really is embarrassing.

Last edited:
I started reading this thread in a balanced frame of mind, becoming somewhat unbalanced by page four, but now am at the unhinged stage. For all the verbal diarrhoea, technical arguments and circuit diagrams, nobody has mentioned whether balanced interconnects are directional or not !!!!

My coat's around somewhere.....

I would love to hear your cable experiences. But I get your point. I also have some but I too will not now be airing them on this forum. If you find somewhere where it is possible to have a cable conversation without the s**t you get on here please say. Or maybe qualify in an opening post that it is a discussion only for those interested in each other’s experiences and nihilistic cable comments not welcome? Some forums have a cable section?

Why don't you drink a cup of tea and review your whinging/ name calling vs valid contributions to this thread?
Haha well I did try to engage the op but he was more interested in accusing me of trying to derail his thread. You I noticed didn’t actually try balanced operation. I have stated I use both, I have also stated clearly more than once that no one is saying the op is wrong in his experience or observation. Questions were asked as to the nature of this HFC ‘test’ and a point about how the reviewer can reconcile that balanced can get the info on to tape but single ended is better at retrieving it- they are worthwhile contributions to a grown up discussion. But it looks like views even slightly opposing generate hysterics and whinging.you seem determined to try to antagonise people.

I would love to hear your cable experiences. But I get your point. I also have some but I too will not now be airing them on this forum. If you find somewhere where it is possible to have a cable conversation without the s**t you get on here please say. Or maybe qualify in an opening post that it is a discussion only for those interested in each other’s experiences and nihilistic cable comments not welcome? Some forums have a cable section?

There is at least an American forum that doesn't have as much internet warriors wannabes trying to save people from themselves.

But despite everything I think that PinkFish is a great place to talk about one's impressions/ experiences.

advertisement

Back