advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news ?

Moral of the story - always get paid up front.

Good job is was only a DAC and not a streamer which involves a shed load of software support and development.

Why have you posted a truncated version of a JohnW's post in another thread named
Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital DAC?!

Here's that phrase for context:

We will release a bug fix update for ProJect, hopefully this will be the last official release, we will be no longer working with ProJect so this will be a "Clean up our room" before we turn the lights out type deal... ProJect has never offered to pay us for software updates so there is little incentive apart from good will on our part to resolve issues.

Why have you posted

Because patience is a virtue.

Though some of the original funders of the pre- pro-ject project have since passed on.

I run a similar sized business to John though in a completley different field, I always tell my clients first come first served.

Because patience is a virtue.

Though some of the original funders of the pre- pro-ject project have since passed on.

I run a similar sized business to John though in a completley different field, I always tell my clients first come first served.

Where does this news hail from? ProJect have stiffed LakeWest!?!!

Afik, that's a mis-interpretation. Project simply made no arrangements for after-sales software support/upgrades.

John chooses to look after his 'babies' regardless - in between pinkfish projects and putting food on the table. But as indicated, a line has to be drawn eventually.

Being a perfectionist really slows things down, but does have an upside for customers.

Always assuming they survive long enough.

Afik, that's a mis-interpretation. Project simply made no arrangements for after-sales software support/upgrades.

John chooses to look after his 'babies' regardless - in between pinkfish projects and putting food on the table. But as indicated, a line has to be drawn eventually.

Being a perfectionist really slows things down, but does have an upside for customers.

Always assuming they survive long enough.

Hi David,

Thank you - Yes a correct "translation" :)

How are things going John? Thanks
Paul,

Just completed the installation of the new reflow oven today. The Labs covered in dust from installing the the fume extraction ducting - nasty work drilling the hole for the duct outside the lab...

Today I rewired the lab power, redistributing the loading between the Phase's to allow for the large loading of the Reflow oven.

Carpenter's should have been here this morning to discuss the new lab bench for the reflow etc - but they have not arrived...

Design wise, working on the PCB design for the 8200MB ("VFET" Lites) and the MDAC2 DD2A...

Streamer software is becoming more polished - just a few more issues to resolve then its ready for full release... I've also resolved the thermal issues with the streamer hardware.

Streamer APi has been completed, and production software refined...

New production streamers will ship with 16GB memory.

16GB sounds a good compromise between size and cost.
It should be enough for the OS and around 20-30 albums and if needing more space it is better to connect a USB drive or use a network share.

With the new update it is possible to play up to DSD512 :cool: if anyone is interested in that. It is a good benchmark for testing stability.

Paul,
Design wise, working on the PCB design for the 8200MB ("VFET" Lites) and the MDAC2 DD2A...
It will be interesting how the "VFET" Lites sounds. Looking forward to hearing more about your progress on them.

16GB sounds a good compromise between size and cost.
It should be enough for the OS and around 20-30 albums and if needing more space it is better to connect a USB drive or use a network share.

With the new update it is possible to play up to DSD512 :cool: if anyone is interested in that. It is a good benchmark for testing stability.

Yes - as you say the 16GB option is really to allow intsalltion of larger software builds (maybe Dual Boot options such as LMS or Kodi) and also space for Ripped files before they are transferred onto NAS or what have you...

Does DSD512 work via streaming? I tested awhile back from local play - USB Bus Bandwidth will be pushed... But it be good news if we can stream DSD512 over LAN.

It will be interesting how the "VFET" Lites sounds. Looking forward to hearing more about your progress on them.

VFET "Lites" - are the basic VFET circuit (Single ended Output stage) but without VFETS - standard MOSFET used instead of the VFETS, I guess 80% the sound quality of the "VFET" amps :)

There design takes second place to the MDAC2 but they are progressing.

When do you foresee a significant number of your supporters actually being in possession of any of these products?

Havent checked in here in ages.

Whats the current progress? When should I budget for my 2x Detox and FDac's?

John,

Is the VFET Lite being used as a development stage for the VFET?

Yes, first stepping stone to the Full VFET design - The output stage is single-ended but representative of the full VFET, also the current dumping bridge is the same between designs - as are other circuit blocks...

I'm keep for the Amps as they will be required for the MDAC2 DD2A evaluation.

Havent checked in here in ages.

Whats the current progress? When should I budget for my 2x Detox and FDac's?

Sam,

We should have confirmed pricing on the Detox chassis in the next couple of weeks - we will request payment for the chassis, and once they arrive in Europe we will move to electronics production.

MDAC2 DD2A is the first step to the FDAC (Same DAC PCB), I'm currently working on the PCB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back