advertisement

Tannoys always full of surprises...

cooky1257

pfm Member
Decided my recently acquired 15" HPD Mansfields only needed refoaming-the cones are marked but 100% intact-nice time consuming but straight forward job-looks the bizz and both driver T&S measures within spec(Fs is a 18hz but still within 10%)

Doing it right one of the 2 Mansfield drivers getting some TLC;
42348660851_837ea4c4ed_c.jpg

41625580714_bb4bc40a9c_c.jpg

Pop open an Amesbury and what do you find?.....bodges stinking bodges

28475070008_c6aedae470_c.jpg

The refoam jobs(I was told they were original) are 50/50 one is good(using notches) but the other.. they've tried to force the foam under the petals and made a dogs dinner of it. Sooo I plan to try to rescue the bodged one but may well end up just reconing both. Never ever a dull moment with vintage tannoys.

On another note Tannoy would often redeploy cabs, speaker chassis etc when they were transitioning between models so a York cab say will have its port part blocked and viola its now an Amesbury but you can then have a pair of Amesburys that are in effect 1 modified York and one Amesbury. Its also pretty random wether they will both have the vertical bar over the driver or even the same damping ie modern foam or Gold's style cushions.

Ugh, nasty glue bodge! Is it hot melt? May be able to get it of and save the paint with a hair-drier if so.

At the price you paid for them I’d just go for a full recone, they’ll look and sound great.

Ugh, nasty glue bodge! Is it hot melt? May be able to get it of and save the paint with a hair-drier if so.

At the price you paid for them I’d just go for a full recone, they’ll look and sound great.
I've managed to get it off but for one moment I though Araldite! Its so annoying, it's a bodge to save £6 on a new plug!!
The Amesburys weren't cheap!
If I'm unable to remedy this bodged driver I'll swap drivers around and the ones open to public view(Mansfields) will get the reconed units and the Amesburys will get the on spec/my refoamed drivers.

Ah, I get confused with the more obscure later cab names. So a Mansfield is kind if a Lancaster, and a Amesbury is kind of a York? The Mansfields are the really tidy looking ones I linked to on eBay for about £599 a while back?

Ah, I get confused with the more obscure later cab names. So a Mansfield is kind if a Lancaster, and a Amesbury is kind of a York? The Mansfields are the really tidy looking ones I linked to on eBay for about £599 a while back?
Yes, similar volume to Lancasters but better proportions-I'm keeping them as they are sealed and will work well in AV room with sub. Yorks are same as I picked up from yours, Amesburys 99% same but different tuning/porting. Nice thing about both sets of cabs is the veneer is in very good condition.

Second pair from Amesburys are ripe for re-coning as the re-foams aren't great. Further investigation(in keeping with thread title) and removal of gasket/clamps reveals traces of an oily substance. It feels like WD40 has been applied under the clamps(WTF) and has turned the foam edge to the texture of crumbly burnt paper. They wouldn't have lasted long despite the new appearance of the surrounds.

28536269028_1ff032a0b0_c.jpg

Now to try to unpick/remove the hamfisted join to the cones.

Well after trimming away huge globs of glue stick glued over the petal ends, turns out whoever did the job didn't remove any of the old rotted foam from the cone-messy thing to clean up but at least the MEK is turning it to goo no problem. These will be fine.

Last edited:
How are they sounding now after all your hard work?

It's nice when hard work gets the results you wanted. I did'nt do mine myself but the result is amazing
The Cheviots are the best speakers I have heard in my room by far & I've heard a lot over the last few years.

Enjoy Steve.

Thanks Guys, they are up for sale as I’ve decided to keep the Mansfield’s instead( AV includes a sub so better match)

Reactions: MVJ
Well after hearing the Amesbury's on the end of a Radford ST15 and a pre that looked like it came off a Russian Submarine(just a fab looking thing), I must say I reluctantly let them go.
Real magic, Toumani Diabati's Ancient Strings and Ry Cooder's I Flathead were just astonishingly good. Someone is going to be really happy with that combo.

Yeah but can they do justice to Pinky & Perky sing Black Sabbath eh! eh?

Well after hearing the Amesbury's on the end of a Radford ST15 and a pre that looked like it came off a Russian Submarine(just a fab looking thing), I must say I reluctantly let them go.
Real magic, Toumani Diabati's Ancient Strings and Ry Cooder's I Flathead were just astonishingly good. Someone is going to be really happy with that combo.

As the someone in question I can say that they already are. And I don’t get help to lift them out of the car until this evening!

advertisement

Back