Do Power Cords Make A Difference?

• Yes they do make a difference

Votes: 145 39.8%
  • No they don't make a difference

Votes: 166 45.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 53 14.6%

• Total voters
I haven't seen anyone here write what I'm about to, so excuse me if they have. In all honestly, for me this is one of those subjects that serves as a delineating line of association. And by that I mean it's not unlike Trump supporters, religious evangelists, flat earthers, etc,

I have never purchased a cable to improve my equipment but I use Silver Arrow mains cables to treat my power supply and without question it does exactly that. As I stated earlier on another thread when I lived in another property for thirty years I had zero problems.

I’ve always suspected most folk will exist somewhere in the centre here, e.g. in reality not spending thousands on mains cables, but not using cheap mass-produced supermarket junk either. That’s certainly where I reside, I have a fairly elderly MusicWorks switched block in each system (some of my kit doesn’t have on/off switches) and I use decent quality MK or Crabtree plugs on everything. I just have no need to use junk.
That's the most sensible approach, IMO. But as I am not sensible*, I have made or tried no end of cables. At the moment I have some £800 mains cables, which certainly do no harm to the sound, and I think (I only put the second one in yesterday) they help, but then they didn't cost me any cash.
*My son was horrified at the suggestion that he was sensible. :eek: And he's 43! That's my boy. :D

We are a tolerant society accepting the normal and abnormal listeners, or some of us are.

My system allows me to hear some music as boiling hot, others as shouty dramatic distorted noise and relaxing jazz or classical din. It doesn’t enforce a sound on music.

Someone who when they claim they're done with a forum subject after countless posts does not do the opposite.
The question wasn't regarding cables, but hifi terms to describe the sound we perceive when listening to hifi.

Keep up mate.

My system imparts it's own signature on every piece of music I own, it's how I like it, each to their own, this is normal for me.
You need look no further than the thread regarding "have your hifi tastes changed" or something to this effect.
It's why I asked the word normal to be clarified where hifi is concerned., you chose to post this nonsense instead, which is not at all surprising.

The question wasn't regarding cables, but hifi terms to describe the sound we perceive when listening to hifi.

Keep up mate.

I'm admittedly having trouble keeping up with whether you're done flooding cable threads, as you claimed half a dozen or more cable thread posts ago, or not.

I'm admittedly having trouble keeping up with whether you're done flooding cable threads, as you claimed half a dozen or more cable thread posts ago, or not.
Maybe stop flooding them with useless drivel such as this.
I would suggest the ignore button, this way, i'm no longer around to annoy you.
Then maybe, you could actually contribute.

If you want my take on these cables, read back & move on, or look at Tony's post from earlier, it really isn't so complicated, you may then find it a little less troubling.

The role of the Sodding Great Capacitor in audio has been much neglected of late. Also, where the SGC is used, as in the PSU of many amps for example, its value is debatable, as demonstrated by my superb LFD integrated which has SBF
(Small but Beautifully Formed) capacitors and is all the better for it.

What is needed is for somebody like Hi Fi World or a similarly geeky publication to run one of their 'retro is good' type articles on 'SGC in Audio Mains Supply Applications'. I'm sure my old mate Haden would be up for a laugh on that. Once they've got everybody all fired up about SGC, they can then go on to offer DIY projects, as well as identifying fab sounding 'lost' SGCs of great rarity and value, ( Maplin Bankrupt Stock springs to mind..). These can then be sold for much money, whilst meanwhile a whole new industry in 'Re-Sleeved', and even newly manufactured SBCs will explode into the Audio world. The possibilities are limitless.. 'Cryogenically treated SBCs' 'Pre soaked' SBCs and I'm sure Tigerjones would be interested in expanding his Cable Massage Service to the err.. 'Manipulation' of SBCs..

I think we're onto a winner here...

In the 1960s when we lashed up our first home made 'disco' kit, we suffered from the clicking of beer pumps, and occasional Police radio, coming through the single socket in the upstairs room of the White Hart pub in Nottm, where we did our first 'Gigs'.
A friend wired a sodding great capacitor across the plug. Sorted.
That can be very effective. But if anyone wants to do this today please note this is potentially dangerous. If you know what you are doing you will at least make sure it's a class X capacitor which, if it fails is designed, AIUI, to fail without causing a fire.

The Quad 34 preamp has a component called N1, effectively across the mains transformer primary to suppress RFI. It's actually a capacitor and resistor in series (AKA a snubber). A short while ago the N1 in mine failed after I had not used the preamp for a while. It caused a relatively small but still alarming amount of smoke and a burning smell, but no other issues. I should replace it in case I need the preamp again.

advertisement

Back