Do Power Cords Make A Difference?

• Yes they do make a difference

Votes: 145 39.8%
  • No they don't make a difference

Votes: 166 45.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 53 14.6%

• Total voters
I would agree that screened cables could make a difference and I am about to go down the screened route as I have a little hum in my active system.
Surely when the hum is eradicated the driver will work a little better.

Make sure it's not your partner humming just to confuse you....

Love the pooch avatar btw:)

I voted yes (with slight tongue in cheek), because I had massive RF/mains interference issues from the milking parlour about 300m from my old house. Screened mains cables to my Naim PSUs seemed to reduce the noise at milking time (along with other measures, including improved mains earthing, mains filter etc.). Different house, different system, and I don't think any of my screened cables are still in use and my mains filter is languishing in the garage as it makes no difference at all now, and takes up space.

Hi,

I voted "I don't know" as I have some bought way back and put them into the system for the last three days to try and I cannot tell if they make any difference, unlike some interconnects which I can say in my one of my systems make no difference but in another system I have they do, all very strange.

Cheers

John

Here we go again.... They DEFINITELY don't make a difference so this poll will be more revealing as to the percentage of people suffering from expectation bias and "seeing the emperors new clothes" rather than anything else!

To repeat, ad nauseum by now, any knowledge of how a power supply actually works and how the mains mains voltage ends up as smooth DC to power the equipment soon reveals it to be ludicrous to even consider that it could have an effect.

If the foomeisters and marketing goons had first come up with a plan to tell audiophools that they needed to place a special hi fi banana (only available from them at £300 each!) on top of your amp then no doubt the poll would be about that... and it would have the same factual and technical merit!
It is in fact so silly an idea that I have almost to pinch myself to make sure I'm not imagining that people actually believe that a mains cable makes a difference everytime I see such a thread:eek::rolleyes:

If I were an automotive engineer rather than an electronics one and found that half my customers actually believed that go faster stripes make a car faster, and that no amount of testing the speed and finding it's no different, no amount of explaining the principles of aerodynamics, power to weight ratio or friction made any difference to the blind belief of these people. That even though I designed the bleedin car, and they have such little mechanical knowledge that they need a main dealer to change the oil, they still insist they know better I do on the matter.... you will get an idea of how I feel about the whole farce!:rolleyes:

tried many many mains cables and i do believe they make a difference , not always good though . i never forget putting some very high end nordost foo cables on my belles amps and it was much thinnier sound than with ordinary decent copper mains cables

I prefer captive mains leads, disliking IEC sockets/plugs - especially the loose sockets Naim deliberately use in the CDX2 :(

Yes, in some circumstances.
A number of years ago I spent an evening making up four mains cables from scratch. The plan was to have then all the correct length with nothing touching the floor and no coils of wire. Just running directly from the sockets to the back of equipment.
Finally I sat back with an expectant smile on my face.
It sounded crap.
Expectation bias?
No.

I didn't contribute to the other thread.

I would say, that in 99% of cases, use the power cable that was supplied with the equipment. If for whatever reason, you don't have the original cable or it has become damaged, then purchase a good quality cord of the correct rating, with a good quality mains plug. This might cost you in the region of £10.

If the question is whether or not you should pay several hundred pounds on a power cord, then I personally, would say no, but on the other hand, the advice to use any old cheap shit, IMHO is also wrong.

So, I'd vote yes, based on the fact that a £10 cord would be preferably to a cheap shit one, but I wouldn't personally bother with an expensive after market mains lead.

Yes, in some circumstances.
A number of years ago I spent an evening making up four mains cables from scratch. The plan was to have then all the correct length with nothing touching the floor and no coils of wire. Just running directly from the sockets to the back of equipment.
Finally I sat back with an expectant smile on my face.
It sounded crap.
Expectation bias?
No.

Reverse expectation bias.

You expected better, but got “the same”, making it seem worse.

Just a thought!

Reverse expectation bias.

You expected better, but got “the same”, making it seem worse.

Just a thought!
Lol an argument for every “for” comment. Just accept it they can potentially make a difference for good or bad. But a difference they can make.

advertisement

Back