Votes: 145 39.8%
  • No they don't make a difference

Votes: 166 45.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 53 14.6%

• Total voters

duckworp

pfm Member
A recent thread runs to 33 pages on the eternal debate on Power Cords.

I would be interested in a Poll to determine what most people believe.

I’ve clicked “I don’t know”, in truth I do know but it’s not a straight answer. If we’re comparing screened vs non screened cables, then yes, there can be a difference. I’ve had minor issues with mains hum in an active system with lots of signal cables running close to power cables, having screened cables resolved this completely. That aside, mains cables with a sufficient current capacity for the item they’re powering will make no difference. They’re jewellery, that’s all.

I have had standard issue cables right up to expensive cables over the years and quite frankly I have never noticed a difference between them.

The biggest difference has been to my bank balance, When buying them costing lots of money then selling them not so much money. :(

I suppose I’d have to answer ‘don’t know’ as I have never bothered to find out, and have absolutely no inclination to in the future.

They make a difference, because you can’t power your gear without them. :D

On a more serious note, they are way way down on the list of priorities, but can make a slight difference, in some circumstances. I suspect this is down to RFI suppression. Get decent quality *shielded* cables, like Supra LoRad, LAPP, or Belden, then let’s see if any differences can be spotted blind. Maybe experiment with using a ferrite clamp at the IEC end of the cable...

I do, but only once the power cable has been through my unique and patented cable massage programme.

If anyone would like to take advantage of my programme I am offering to massage two cables for the price of one whilst the World Cup is on. So for just £99 I will massage not one but two of your cables and post them back to you.

www.cablemassage.co.uk

Its not possible as long as:
The cable is of reasonable (standard) quality copper and is fit for the correct current required.
In the UK all (general) house mains are ring circuits (IIRC is max 32 amp) and are wired up with hundreds of meters of 2.5mm T&E cable (twin & earth) which costs about £1 per linear meter. How can a fancy 1,2, or 3m length make any logical or practicable difference. Physics is physics.

I would agree that screened cables could make a difference and I am about to go down the screened route as I have a little hum in my active system.
Surely when the hum is eradicated the driver will work a little better.

Keith, sush... i see some Furutech IEC plugs in your 'for sale' trade pics ;)

Oh he will sell foo music servers, foo trade ins etc., just not admit or agree that they will make any difference to the buyer.

At least he isn’t pushing Amarra software, for instance, as sounding better now though.

I do, but only once the power cable has been through my unique and patented cable massage programme.

If anyone would like to take advantage of my programme I am offering to massage two cables for the price of one whilst the World Cup is on. So for just £99 I will massage not one but two of your cables and post them back to you.

www.cablemassage.co.uk

I've been told..... that a seemingly innocent massage, can lead onto other less savoury activities. I think full disclosure is required..

advertisement

Back