advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John
On the DD2A will the volume control vary the digital output volume? (I'm considering managing my subs with a miniDSP 2x4 HD unit and using the digital output from the DD2A to feed the miniDSP. However that won't work unless the volume control also varies the volume coming out of the miniDSP)

Beamup,

Software's getting more stable now and getting to grips with the thermal issues via software and hardware changes (chassis & Heatsink).

Out of the original 7 beta units, 3 are in the field - if your Ok to operate yours without the chassis (until they are ready) then I can ship your PCB + PSU. You can simply slide the PCB into the Chassis once they are available.

Thanks - but I would prefer to wait for the complete package with chassis - so I'll be hanging on until then ....

John
On the DD2A will the volume control vary the digital output volume? (I'm considering managing my subs with a miniDSP 2x4 HD unit and using the digital output from the DD2A to feed the miniDSP. However that won't work unless the volume control also varies the volume coming out of the miniDSP)

Ian,

The there is no digital signal manipulation, level control is performed in the Analogue domain - you might need 2x DD2A....

Ian,

The there is no digital signal manipulation, level control is performed in the Analogue domain - you might need 2x DD2A....
OK, well the other option is to use Y cables from the XLR outputs of the DD2A. I could then just feed one sub direct from the DD2A and daisy chain to the second. Alternatively I could use the analog inputs of the miniDSP 2x4HD.

That’s good News! Could i use the new mdac2 as a surround processor like the 8000AP or 8200AP if i connect a blu-ray player or a nuc with kodi? I really liked the audiolab 8000ap , it was also a very good stereo preamp.

I now have 2 hifi sets
1. Marantz sr7008 with klipsch reference première series
2. Naim superuniti with harbeth monitor 30.1

I am thinking of what i should do with the mdac2, maybe it could replace the marantz sr7008.

I'm currently working on the PCB design... I cannot say how long - but first PCB's in say 60 days...

That’s good News! Could i use the new mdac2 as a surround processor like the 8000AP or 8200AP if i connect a blu-ray player or a nuc with kodi? I really liked the audiolab 8000ap , it was also a very good stereo preamp.

I now have 2 hifi sets
1. Marantz sr7008 with klipsch reference première series
2. Naim superuniti with harbeth monitor 30.1

I am thinking of what i should do with the mdac2, maybe it could replace the marantz sr7008.
I am curious how you get to the conclusion that it could work as a surround processor?

It is a 2 channel DAC. You can run Kodi on it, but it will have to downmix everything to two channels.
Your best option is to connect your sr7008 preout to the AV bypass if you want to integrate the two systems.

I understand that 1 mdac2 is for 2 channels , but maybe you can add multiple mdacs. In the past i read something about master/slave things. The audiolab 8200ap isn’t really a surround processor too, but routes LPCM signal over HDMI.

About the audiolab 8200ap processsor...
Fed an LPCM signal over HDMI, the Audiolab routes the datastream to its high-spec Cirrus Logic dual DSPs and on to a suite of eight 24-bit/192kHz delta-sigma D-A convertors. There is a proprietary clocking system to reduce jitter on the HDMI input, which claims to do so by a factor of 30.

When given a multichannel analogue input all this digital wizardry is bypassed completely, essentially making the 8200AP an eight-channel analogue pre-amp – although you can tie the bypass analogue inputs with HDMI switching for video. Four-layer PCBs, a torroidal transformer and no less than 14 regulated power supplies are pure hi-fi territory, as is the fast/slow DAC filter settings and upsampling of basic 44kHz S/PDIF inputs. Other upgrades over the old 8000AP include 12V triggers, S/PDIF outputs from all sources and a very crisp OLED display.

John said there was poor documentation on the AllWinner ICs so he couldn’t use, which is a big pity because it’s a hell of a lot more powerful!

Something like the ZIDOO H6 Pro uses this (and X9S or X10 or X20 Pro true media centres) and are 4K HDR which can play just about anything - these boxes start at £80 upwards 8-]

Check the ZIDOO V6 AirMouse that partners them, awesome kit for peanuts

I’ll leave the MDAC for music and AVBypass for cinema

Hi, I have been here for 4 years or so. I have my upgraded M-DAC for sale ($500 usd) along with the original circuit board, remote, PSU, manual, original boxes, etc. I'm in the USA (California). My ad is on USAudiomart. I don't have Facebook as I know the main thread has moved there. Thanks for any assistance. Jim in San Diego

Back when John was proposing designs for the compartmented, shielded, gasketed, and multi-screw top box, he posted a picture of a box for similar application as an example.
IIRC, it was a copper colored box with a boatload of screws fastening the cover but do not remember what it was designed for?!
Can someone provide a link to that picture?

Pricing's in for the Detox chassis, although not yet 100% complete - I'm waiting on pricing for the lightguides and packaging to complete the cost of the "mechanical" items.

Hope that I am not stepping on John's toes but for those not doing Facebook, this is John's post on the chassis...

"I've got pricing for the Detox chassis - I'm just asking for packaging and Light guides to be included in the pricing - I've also requested a "reference sample" for approval - its been such a long time I just want to insure our files are correct etc.

The complete Chassis cost with Main chassis, Base, Knob, Chassis Screws, Knob Grub screw, Light Guides & packaging will work about GBP120 (Plus shipping costs to Europe). This includes a margin for rejects."

I too am OK with that and hope that reject rate is (much) lower than estimated.

we will be no longer working with ProJect so this will be a "Clean up our room" before we turn the lights out type deal... ProJect has never offered to pay us

Good news ?

Moral of the story - always get paid up front.

Good job is was only a DAC and not a streamer which involves a shed load of software support and development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back