advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DD2A level control is an embedded part of the DAC Array circuit its not suitable for an external Analogue input - its not a Analogue Pre-amplifier following the DAC stage but integral part of the DAC Array for the simplest most direct signal path.

Will there be a remote for the volume control? If so, how are planning to implement that?

For something really optimized and hot rodded like this, you would want to use it with a preamp (if at all) that itself has a bypass option. Alternatively, you may want to enable clean source switching (GoldPT switchbox at the amp, or similar). Plugging and unplugging cables is really the best way.

I assume, that once developed, this volume technique will be patented.

I confess I am intrigued...When this device is available, if it gets to be for sale to the general public, I will give it a try.

I confess I am intrigued...When this device is available, if it gets to be for sale to the general public, I will give it a try.
Don’t bet on general availability,
That is not how it works.Most of us committed to it 4 years ago. But maybe John will let you get on board now anyway.

That's fine...I would never wait this long. If he builds some units, they will eventually become available - from his company or from other owners on the used market. It's not like the Mona Lisa...

I definitely don't want to be "on board" this train. However, the tech is intriguing and may sound good. I will keep an eye on it.

I don't use any other inputs like tuners or turntables (for which the FDAC will be best suited) so I'm hoping the preamp stage of the MDAC2 is state of the art too and from John's recent posts it clearly should be.

I'm designing the output level attenuation section for the MDAC2 DD2A. What level do you normally listen to music - not background music levels, but "serious listening" levels?

Listening levels with Speakers and Headphones would be interesting.

Eg. normally I listen at about -20dB to say -10dB for very Loud... (with Speakers, I don't use headphones).

I'm a bit late to join this conversation, partly because for my normal listening I run at 0dB and attenuate via my Creek passive preamp, which allows easy switchover to FM (Arcam FMJ), which I use a lot( so for MDAC2 I will need the by-pass). I tried setting the Creek to maximum, and with this I find I would use -25dB (up to perhaps -20dB if I'm home alone..). This seems to put me in the wimpish end of the range, but it gives a sound power level at the listening position of about 75dB in ff passages; 0dB would probably wreck my 25 year old speakers, what remains of my hearing, and my marriage. That's for computer or CD input via USB. I also connect the digital audio from the TV to an optical input, and here the 48k signal gives a much lower level, so I need to run at -15dB or higher for this.

For headphones (AKG701) I find that -20dB is about right.

For those not on Facebook, John collected a proper 250kg Reflow Oven from Poland and had to disassemble most of it to get down into the Lab ...it’s nearly all back together (or might be by now)

Thanks for the update. I'm part of the wrong generation, I know, but the gui is terrible imo. if John updates by 'commenting' on a previous post it's not apparent - you have to scroll through all comments to find out. So bad it could almost be Microsoft! :p

Lol yes I hear you, terrible format (like Gmail, conversations all backwards, devised by some genius to make things easier to read somehow) 8-/

txs for the update. Im to stubborn to use Facebook, eave for such an important thins like this ;). I don't complain, I know I can just make an account.

can anyone comment on how the mini streamer is performing? From a software point of view is it refined/plug and play or does it still require some user skill to get it working optimally?

I'm pending my mini streamer - I can have it as a beta tester but I wanted a few bugs ironed out first before getting mine (I have plenty of streamers to be getting on with for now). However John - if you think it's time - send it on :)

Beamup,

Software's getting more stable now and getting to grips with the thermal issues via software and hardware changes (chassis & Heatsink).

Out of the original 7 beta units, 3 are in the field - if your Ok to operate yours without the chassis (until they are ready) then I can ship your PCB + PSU. You can simply slide the PCB into the Chassis once they are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back