advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+3)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Biggest surprise for me was that Ian Curtis was a tory and at such a young age.

And May, May will tear us apart....

I think the Tories are showing the rest of the sane world a good example of an Atrocity Exhibition, and how to put a country into a state of Isolation.

I think the Tories are showing the rest of the sane world a good example of an Atrocity Exhibition, and how to put a country into a state of Isolation.

I don't think the rest of the world is paying much attention since Trump is showing how you REALLY self destruct a country.

Reactions: PsB
I trust we all have stocked our bunkers well.

Panic buying can be expected around December. Empty shelves by February. Riots by July.

DewUnRAW4AA0fC2.jpg

I’m surprised and somewhat impressed that such a headline is running in a Murdoch paper! I can’t read the full article as I refuse to give the Hypnotoad money, but if the gist is constant throughout it is refreshing that a little realism is finally drifting into the right-wing press.

The civil service must have run the scenario exhaustively- after all government ministers and their coterie of super wealthy backers (ready to profit from the disruption) have been openly calling for it, therefore it would have been negligent not to. The hard Brexit gang understand conditions will be harsh for the little people without properties in Europe to escape to, but it will teach them to become more self reliant as we take our place as leadersinglobalfreetrade.

I’m surprised and somewhat impressed that such a headline is running in a Murdoch paper! I can’t read the full article as I refuse to give the Hypnotoad money, but if the gist is constant throughout it is refreshing that a little realism is finally drifting into the right-wing press.

Ahead of the referendum, The Times backed Remain, although The Sun backed Leave. The Daily Mail backed Leave, although The Mail on Sunday backed Remain. They like to cover all the bases, these newspaper magnates.

I suspect that the paper is trying to pre-blame pessimistic ‘experts’ in Whitehall, rather than criticise Brexit or its advocates.

Civil servants are the ones who it says are planning for this Doomsday scenario, and if it were to happen, I’ll bet they’ll be the ones who retrospectively made it happen by talking the country down or some such.

Good, honest, wise hard Brexiteers like IDS are still presented as unflappable and dismissive - the civil servants in question are ‘frightened rabbits’ who don’t even know what they should be doing.

It’s just a slightly more subtle variety of Hypnotoad bilge, I reckon. Having said that, I hope I’m wrong.

Ahead of the referendum, The Times backed Remain, although The Sun backed Leave. The Daily Mail backed Leave, although The Mail on Sunday backed Remain. They like to cover all the bases, these newspaper magnates.

The Sunday Times backed Brexit, which is what makes this a bit of a surprise. Maybe the tide of opinion starting to turn. Maybe.

The Sunday Times backed Brexit, which is what makes this a bit of a surprise. Maybe the tide of opinion starting to turn. Maybe.

Murdoch always likes to back the winner, so maybe he’s finally starting to grasp the Tories (or anyone else) simply can’t deliver a workable Brexit.

Maybe. Or maybe it's a case of spelling out how bad a worst-case scenario would be, so that a very bad scenario looks good by comparison. An added new factor is the burgeoning US vs rest of the world trade war, which is making some of the Brexiteers' claims about improved possibilities for new trade agreements post-Brexit look a bit hollow. Even Liam Fox felt obliged to complain about Trump's new tariffs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44341074

'New tariffs imposed by the US on steel and aluminium from the EU are "illegal", the UK's International Trade Secretary Liam Fox has said.

The policy came into force on Friday, meaning anyone in the US importing the metals from the EU will have to pay an additional tax.

President Donald Trump said the move would protect US national security.

Dr Fox said Prime Minister Theresa May would be raising the issue at the G7 leaders meeting next week.

On Friday, Mrs May said she was "disappointed" at the US decision - which will see a 25% duty on European steel and a 10% duty on European aluminium - and that the taxes were "unjustified".'

Fox is now in a very embarrassing position- he’s been so far up the American far right for so long and now they’re making a fool of him in return by colluding with Trump against Britain. Perhaps if Theresa hastens to Florida and holds the tiny hand , everything will be alright again.

Maybe. Or maybe it's a case of spelling out how bad a worst-case scenario would be, so that a very bad scenario looks good by comparison. An added new factor is the burgeoning US vs rest of the world trade war, which is making some of the Brexiteers' claims about improved possibilities for new trade agreements post-Brexit look a bit hollow. Even Liam Fox felt obliged to complain about Trump's new tariffs:

Yep, it could be that. But it’s interesting that this kind of scenario was airily dismisses as project fear during the referendum, whereas now a Brexit-supporting newspaper is openly reporting it as a possibility.

Brexiteer, Norman Lamont, was on Any Questions promoting the 'Swiss option', cheerily ignoring that Switzerland is in both the EFTA and Schengen—they did try and change to a 'cake and eat it' model in a narrowly fought 2014 referendum, but decided on reflection that it was a 'price worth paying' to be close to the EU.

Perhaps Brexiteers hope leave voter won't know what being in Schengen means? A bit like Labour’s 'a' customs union.

Stephen

Last edited:

'New tariffs imposed by the US on steel and aluminium from the EU are "illegal", the UK's International Trade Secretary Liam Fox has said.

The policy came into force on Friday, meaning anyone in the US importing the metals from the EU will have to pay an additional tax.

President Donald Trump said the move would protect US national security.

Dr Fox said Prime Minister Theresa May would be raising the issue at the G7 leaders meeting next week.

On Friday, Mrs May said she was "disappointed" at the US decision - which will see a 25% duty on European steel and a 10% duty on European aluminium - and that the taxes were "unjustified".'
And if this was just little old us, we’d just have to suck it up. The EU, however, has enough clout to be able to respond in a robust manner. But hey, we’ll be able to make such good trade deals for ourselves once we’re free of that oppressive EU yoke.

I don’t know why you guys are worried. Post brexit, Trump will treat the UK more than fairly in trade deals just as he has with Canada. You have his word on that.

main-qimg-4e15926a804d3ae7fdc0998f46fa78ee-c

Joe

The German Brexit Coordinator says...

"Peter Ptassek‏ @GermanyonBrexit
What to expect from June #EUCO regarding #brexit ? My personal impression: Not many are expecting very much now. If this is so, October would then have to solve ALL problems (withdrawal, NI, governance, future …) in one go. Odds still unclear."

It will go down to the last minute with nothing agreed. The Government remains deluded and divided. In other words, not a chance of sorting it out.

So that means next March 29th shall henceforth be known as...

Get in your bunkers by mid-March.

Jumpers for goalposts. Blitz Spirit. Powdered Egg. National Service. Put hairs on you chest.

(may contain rickets)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back