advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+3)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if you were to ask EV, you'd find that I've agreed with things he's said (though I may not have agreed with the conclusion he drew), as have others here. EV is generally acknowledged to be the poster here who expresses the most cogent pro-Brexit arguments, and this has been recognised many, many times. If you don't see that, not my problem.

Up to a point—until he starts talking about Eurocrats ...

aug-1980-universe-red.jpg

Stephen

Brexit is looking more and more crazy by the day. 'Global Britain', my arse.
“Leaders in Global Free Trade”- catchy while being utterly meaningless. The only tangible outcome from Fox’s efforts would appear to be his BA gold card (and some plum directorships once he bails from the sinking ship).

This sounds less coherent than Kelvin Mackenzie after his brain’s been starved of oxygen.

Apart from his suggestion that you p*ss off out of the country, he is entirely accurate.
The majority of those who voted chose leave. It is the height of folly, but it is nevertheless a democratically valid decision. The govt. has no choice but to seek to leave the EU.
We will just have to stand back in horror and watch the process.

Chris

Chris
Chris- and I thought I was a fatalist. I think there are a few more twists and turns in this grand folly. Who knows where we’ll end up. There are far more powerful forces in play than The Will (of a third) of The People. Personally, I’m hoping for a full, hard Brexit- out of macabre curiosity more than anything.

Apart from his suggestion that you p*ss off out of the country, he is entirely accurate.
The majority of those who voted chose leave. It is the height of folly, but it is nevertheless a democratically valid decision. The govt. has no choice but to seek to leave the EU.

Chris
My understanding was that you don’t get involved in things that don’t affect you and yours, but on this it seems that you don’t get involved even when it does affect you and yours.

Maybe you think that bleating on an online forum is a waste of time, which you can more productively use fighting Brexit by other means?

My understanding was that you don’t get involved in things that don’t affect you and yours, but on this it seems that you don’t get involved even when it does affect you and yours.

Maybe you think that bleating on an online forum is a waste of time, which you can more productively use fighting Brexit by other means?

I accept the democratic outcome of the referendum. I don't particularly like it, but I have no choice other than to accept it.

I must admit I find the remainers bleating on about it on an obscure hi fi forum mildly amusing. A classic example of p*ssing in the wind.

If it turns out to be intolerable, I'll simply up sticks and move somewhere warm and sunny.

Chris

Also the EU's. Who will be the bigger child first, the UK or EU?

I suspect the EU; "we are looking at possibilities to retaliate."

Pathetic rhetoric.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-43300193
You’re in the mercantile world. It is to be expected than when one party to an existing arrangement moves unilaterally to disadvantage the other, the other protects their interests and shows reciprocity. It’s just business. Trump is a serial bankrupt he’s vindictive, capricious and a bully- this is how you deal with him. When Pence takes his job, he’ll be more realistic.

Also the EU's. Who will be the bigger child first, the UK or EU?

I suspect the EU. Malmström, "we are looking at possibilities to retaliate."

Pathetic rhetoric.

Maude, "we must not do anything stupid and unreasonable ourselves in response."

That kind of thinking will get us further, surely?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-43300193
I honestly don't know. I'm all for being reasonable as it's the way I usually respond to conflict.

However, Trump is a bully so maybe tit-for-tat is the only language he understands.

I suspect most world leaders are rethinking their attitude to the USA under Trump, and praying he doesn't do too much damage before he's hoofed out of office.

I must admit I find the remainers bleating on about it on an obscure hi fi forum mildly amusing. A classic example of p*ssing in the wind.

Chris
Minor pedantry point, pissing in the wind is a different metaphor to what you suggest. But my main point in reply is ‘yet here you are, bleating on an obscure online forum’.

I’m not sure which is less fruitful, the bleating, or the carping about the bleating.

Actually, I am, it’s the carping. Isn’t that mildly amusing?

You’re in the mercantile world. It is to be expected than when one party to an existing arrangement moves unilaterally to disadvantage the other, the other protects their interests and shows reciprocity. It’s just business. Trump is a serial bankrupt he’s vindictive, capricious and a bully- this is how you deal with him. When Pence takes his job, he’ll be more realistic.

That could be 7 years, so really you need to be diplomatic, something too many self-righteous EU workers just are not. And for the millionth time, keep it out the media. All that does is show you are trying to rub them up the wrong way. I am sure an email to his office would suffice. There is a competitor I really hate. He is like Trump. Arrogant, patronising, condescending and full of shit. He is main distributor for a high-end brand I wanted to retail. He said fine, lets do a deal and then a month later shut me down in front of the manufacturer at a trade show.

So he does not know I hate him and he is not aware that I get the stuff elsewhere and sell it off-line.
That's business, surely? Not making threats in public. Even if they do it to you first.

I'm no fan of Mescalito's views but on this occasion he does have a point. In terms of "you and yours" action then it's going to come down to an exit strategy for him and his if the water starts rising. He's just said "I'll decamp to somewhere sunny", which is what I will do if necessary.

Well, it is. If there is a fight to be had it's getting the best deal possible out of the cluster***k that is coming. If that's BINO or some other variant then so much the better.

Have we all seen David Davis' latest? I'm afraid it's in The Sun.

"David Davis devises 10 mile-wide trade buffer zone along Northern Ireland border to break deadlock in Brexit talks. DAVID Davis is devising a new Brexit plan to break a talks deadlock by giving Northern Ireland joint EU and UK status as well as a border buffer zone. Under the radical blueprint, the province would operate a double hatted regime of European and British regulations at the same time, so it can trade freely with both."

By all (sensible) accounts, it's laughable. Nuts. He's not even trying anymore. He's desperate. He's taking the p**s. He really is that clueless. He hasn't been sleeping well lately. You can pick whichever you think explains it best.

The man who thought we'd have being doing trade deals with Germany and Czechoslovakia in June 2016 is now dredging the bottom of the barrel and drawing imaginary buffer zones in Ireland in 2018. "Buffer zone... That sounds good. I like that..."

I
Have we all seen David Davis' latest? I'm afraid it's in The Sun.

"David Davis devises 10 mile-wide trade buffer zone along Northern Ireland border to break deadlock in Brexit talks. DAVID Davis is devising a new Brexit plan to break a talks deadlock by giving Northern Ireland joint EU and UK status as well as a border buffer zone. Under the radical blueprint, the province would operate a double hatted regime of European and British regulations at the same time, so it can trade freely with both."

By all (sensible) accounts, it's laughable. Nuts. He's not even trying anymore. He's desperate. He's taking the p**s. He really is that clueless. He hasn't been sleeping well lately. You can pick whichever you think explains it best.

The man who thought we'd have being doing trade deals with Germany and Czechoslovakia in June 2016 is now dredging the bottom of the barrel and drawing imaginary buffer zones in Ireland in 2018. "Buffer zone... That sounds good. I like that..."
'll be first in the queue for warehousing in that space if it comes off. I imagine rents would be rather high, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back