advertisement

More bad news for the environment (CFC gases)

20180429_120347.jpg

Dedication from the book of life (aka Drunken Baker)

That's not good news.

CFCs are also potent greenhouse gases — in fact, hundred to thousands of times more potent than CO2 per molecule — but thankfully their concentration is very low. Problem is, their replacement — HFCs — are also potent greenhouse gases, but at least those chlorine-free refrigerants don't poke holes in the Earth's deflector shield.

Joe

Could it be that developing countries care less about the environment than providing fridges for their populations.
When we stopped using CFC's who ended up the all the old plant used to manufacture it ?

Could it be that developing countries care less about the environment than providing fridges for their populations.
When we stopped using CFC's who ended up the all the old plant used to manufacture it ?
Fridges and air conditioners in SE Asia are made by big companies and meet standards, so I don't think so.

Fridges and air conditioners in SE Asia are made by big companies and meet standards, so I don't think so.

For export markets for sure,however in the more price sensitive home markets where half the population own no fridge ?

I may think otherwise.

The owner of the company who supply us with laquer told me that when the use of pre-catalysed lacquer was phased out due to environmental concerns that the chinese had purchsed all the plant that produced said product.

All the governments seem to be going round in circles with air pollution , one thing is bad so then onto another which is suddenly bad and the new scapegoat , utterly clueless
As others have mentioned other countries then snap up the old tech and use it where regs do not apply

It's a bit of an inconclusive report (with regard to source) because of the air currents at play but it 'looks like' somewhere in the far east. It won't be japan, (who care) nor S Korea, but China is a big place and prone to paying lip service and I'm not entirely convinced about India's dedication to the environment vs capital income to be gained...My interest tho is in the actual source. No-one seems to know what the CFCs can be being used for? Unless there is home production of freezers/fridges by unscrupulous local companies? I really don't see the giants risking world approbation by making cheap CFC models for a certain market.

That is why I suspect scrapping/waste as places like the UK have been quietly shipping all manner of rubbish to anywhere it can be offloaded.

But in enough quantiy to make that noteable an impact? That much change? It would have to be HUGE...millions of units at a guess.

Itll depend on where in the world you happen to reside. In the UK, a company called Sims Recycling Solutions operates two of the world’s most advanced fridge recycling plants, including the largest in the world, capable of recycling 1 million refrigerators each year. Based in Newport, Wales and Billingham, County Durham, they provide a national service to producer compliance schemes, retailers and businesses.

That's one million per year, just in the U.K. I can't imagine the worldwide numbers.

Most of the world does not recover gas when repairing or scrapping fridges and air cons

Those living in Africa/Asia who live on 2 bowls of rice per week and have never had a fridge care little what refrigerant is used.

Around 60% of the electricity in China is produced from coal..

The trouble is we take so much for granted we have little idea of how the rest of the world lives.

advertisement

Back