advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm designing the output level attenuation section for the MDAC2 DD2A. What level do you normally listen to music - not background music levels, but "serious listening" levels?

Listening levels with Speakers and Headphones would be interesting.

Eg. normally I listen at about -20dB to say -10dB for very Loud... (with Speakers, I don't use headphones).

I'm designing the output level attenuation section for the MDAC2 DD2A. What level do you normally listen to music - not background music levels, but "serious listening" levels?
Listening levels with Speakers and Headphones would be interesting.
Eg. normally I listen at about -20dB to say -10dB for very Loud... (with Speakers, I don't use headphones).

Because my ADC/vinyl system is much quieter than my RPi streamer, I use a B Putzeys balanced volume control (AKA 'The Knob') so my MDAC is usually set at -10dB, and then attenuated, so, I suppose -10dB is the loudest it ever goes, but my power amp is specifically designed to be low gain... new power amp (temporary amp number 2 whilst waiting for VFETs) is a Radford STA25, which is higher gain, so the MDAC is currently set at -17dB.

Not sure if that helps at all!

Well, on my MDAC with certain tracks I've put it upto +3db (rarely though) and while this is loud, I wish I had another 3db on some rare occasions. Most well produced tracks I play upto -5dB and that's usually as much as my speakers and ears can handle. On some movies I have it up at -8dB to really get carried away (Top Gun, etc). I do get carried away sometimes and just turn it up as loud as it will go before before something in my system is likely to fail. I try and get to and beyond a heavy rock concert level when I'm in the mood. I have Linn LK280 amplifiers into active Linn Isobariks and sit about 6-8 feet away. So can we have the upper level of the MDAC2 similar to the original MDAC please. I almost never go lower that -28 dB. I've never used the headphone socket.

Hope I'm not an outlier?...:D

I only used the MDAC as a preamp with my ncores for a very short period, because -20 was to loud for normal listening. Definitely remember never wanting to try +3.
Maybe someone else with ncores can confirm/correct my memory?

NCore is a lot more sensitive compared to my McLaren Amplifiers...sounds almost double as loud at same volume level on the Pre

Is there a problem with the MDAC's gain? If not, I'd vote for retaining it, rather than changing based on a few (probably unrepresentative) replies here.

The current MDAC uses Digital Attenuation, the MDAC2 DD2A uses "lossless" Analogue domain attenuation where I have the opportunity to optimise the performance over the most "critical" usage range.

I now have a fairly good idea of this "range" (which is pretty much the same as I use).

I used an MDAC directly with a pair of Meridian M2 speakers. Normal range is around -20 to around -12 depending on the source and how loud I want it to be.

I only used the MDAC as a preamp with my ncores for a very short period, because -20 was to loud for normal listening. Definitely remember never wanting to try +3.

Same for me, but if the attenuation in the MDAC2 is in the analogue domain, that would be fine would it not?

Same for me, but if the attenuation in the MDAC2 is in the analogue domain, that would be fine would it not?
Yes, it will be fine. The problem with digital attenuation is that you get a loss in SQ. It is not only the MDAC that has this problem my Hugo has this as well.

If I have understood it correctly it will be like having a transformer based preamp build in. Which means that I can sell my expensive MFA baby ref passive preamp without losing any SQ :cool:

And it will make the box count obsessed crowd happy as well. ;)

Depends heavily on the program/label. With modern Pop -26db is already too loud, but good classical productions without compression - which I hear 95% of the time - I play normally at -18 to -12db, very seldom up to -6db or so. BIS, old Denon, MDG, LSO, Sony, Challenge, Harmonia mundi (and my own recordings with a pair of condensor mics and no compression, naturally)... Most bigger companies (DG, Decca, also Linn) are strongly compressed, so around -6db less => -24 to -18db. Older only slightly compressed pop records of the 70s to mid-80s, sometimes even 90s (Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson; The Roches; Rickie Lee Jones! e.g.) are in that same range.

nCore => KEF R700.

Yes, it will be fine. The problem with digital attenuation is that you get a loss in SQ. It is not only the MDAC that has this problem my Hugo has this as well.

I thought so. When it began to deteriorate with electrolytic cap failure, I replaced my MDAC with a Mytek DAC that has the choice of digital or analogue attenuation. The analogue is superior and allows me to avoid using a separate preamp. I still have the MDAC in a cupboard as a donor for MDAC2.

The DD2A level control is an embedded part of the DAC Array circuit its not suitable for an external Analogue input - its not a Analogue Pre-amplifier following the DAC stage but integral part of the DAC Array for the simplest most direct signal path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back