advertisement

ENORMOUS ADVERTS ON MOBILE

Tw99

source last
All caps chosen on purpose...

Reading PFM on my phone, every page now starts with an advert that takes up about half the screen. Is that intentional? If so, it's certainly enough to stop me reading PFM on this device.

Shouldn’t be unmanageably large - Xenforo rescales to mobile devices pretty well IMO. I’ve not changed any settings so nothing should be different from last week, last month or whatever. What phone/screen size are you using?

PS The adverts are essential, without them there would be no pfm as there is no way it could survive on just trade accounts and a handful of record sales.

Unfeeeaasibly large on my screen too!

41476285784_a7cc1ee324_z.jpg

What is that shit it's trying to sell me, anyway?

Obviously not large enough if you can’t tell what it is selling!

I suspect Google are just trialling a new format and it wouldn’t surprise me if they reverted back to a smaller size within a week or so. Since the XenForo update I have had the ads set to ‘responsive’, which means they scale to the device, rotation and available space. I’ve not seen them this deep before, but its not much of an issue as you oly see them at all on first visit to a thread, if just jumping into read new posts you miss the header unless its a new page, and most folk don’t get as far as the footer. I’ve so far resisted putting mid-page ads like most forums use even though they would likely double (or more) the revenue, so in the grand scheme of things pfm still has a very low advertising footprint.

Obviously I understand that ads are needed for revenue, but I do feel they don't need to be that intrusive.

Obviously not large enough if you can’t tell what it is selling!

I suspect Google are just trialling a new format and it wouldn’t surprise me if they reverted back to a smaller size within a week or so. Since the XenForo update I have had the ads set to ‘responsive’, which means they scale to the device, rotation and available space. I’ve not seen them this deep before, but its not much of an issue as you oly see them at all on first visit to a thread, if just jumping into read new posts you miss the header unless its a new page, and most folk don’t get as far as the footer. I’ve so far resisted putting mid-page ads like most forums use even though they would likely double (or more) the revenue, so in the grand scheme of things pfm still has a very low advertising footprint.

I get 5,000 new visitors per month now. How much might I make on google adsense? I was thinking of a discrete one like your desktop banner, but not if it does that on mobile.

More care required on a store, I suspect. If I am buying stuff on a store you can stick your ads up yer jacksy is my thinking.

Obviously I understand that ads are needed for revenue, but I do feel they don't need to be that intrusive.

They are larger than I expected/intended, but as I say I suspect it is a trial/test by Google and may well not end up like this long-term.

More care required on a store, I suspect. If I am buying stuff on a store you can stick your ads up yer jacksy is my thinking.

Indeed. Your product should pay for that kind of site and I’d be put off if it didn’t. Ads are needed for sites like this one where there is no ‘product’ as such but a lot of cost, time and effort is put into running them.

I have started getting the huge ads today at the top and bottom of pages. Each takes up half the screen when scrolled to top or bottom. I am using an IPhone 7 Plus.

Is there a solution or do I need to put up with it until Google desist as Tony suggests?

Cheers

It's a motorcyclists in helmet HUD thingy. Might possibly be quite accurate targeted marketing Rich. Could you please buy one, then let me know if it's any use? Ta.

I'm also getting the huge adverts on my phone, they are quite intrusive.

I can't even see what is going on in this youtube video. You can just about make out the motorbike Honda are trying to promote in the background.....wtf is their objective here? Advertising revenue or selling bikes?

41696354614_7aa39cf0fc_b.jpg

advertisement

Back