advertisement

Sugden Connoisseur - lost classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Connoisseur? Lost classic, definitely! Some of my best moments in hifi were listening to a Connoisseur. I have 3 BD2's. They have a certain magic (some call it PRAT) I haven't heard in other tables. They don't have gobs of bass or tons of highs, but what they have is a midrange to die for. I preferred the Bd2 to my Roksan Xerxes, Linn Axis, Thorens TD150, Rega P2 and a bunch of other tables I have. I think AR Sugden is one of the few brilliant innovators the industry has had.

I've seen the term PRAT elsewhere on this forum .. What exactly does it refer to?

PRAT is shorthand for SWBIB.

More seriously = Pace Rhythm and Timing. Mythological attributes ascribed to certain brands of hifi by some people.

-- Ian

PRAT = Someone who believes in Beltism.

-- Ian

Just been reading through some old threads so now I understand

Happily I had forgotten all about this guy Peter Belt

That said I do tend to agree with SHS on the Connoisseur BD1 being very underrated and capable of giving a very musical performance. Whenever I have tried a different deck it always seems that I enjoy the Connoisseur the most.

Despite what Beobloke says (& I have come across Beobloke's disparaging comments on other forums ... almost a vendetta ;) ) I think it was a neat bit of engineering (I admire lateral thinking). Yes the rubber ban mounting is a pain but I think the idea is just beautifully simple & almost oriental in its logic and worth getting right.

In my book it comes down to what you enjoy.

Just been reading through some old threads so now I understand

Happily I had forgotten all about this guy Peter Belt

That said I do tend to agree with SHS on the Connoisseur BD1 being very underrated and capable of giving a very musical performance. Whenever I have tried a different deck it always seems that I enjoy the Connoisseur the most.

Despite what Beobloke says (& I have come across Beobloke's disparaging comments on other forums ... almost a vendetta ;) ) I think it was a neat bit of engineering (I admire lateral thinking). Yes the rubber ban mounting is a pain but I think the idea is just beautifully simple & almost oriental in its logic and worth getting right.

In my book it comes down to what you enjoy.
I assume that the quote re: the opinion attributed to “SHS” refers to me.

If you read the AC article detailing the modified BD1 you will discover that the ‘rubber band’ suspension is ancient history. It has not been supplied with new BD1s for at least 10 years. And my mods improve the NEW (non- ‘rubber band’) suspension further over the old suspension. The NEW- design suspension is, after my modification, almost (but not quite) non compliant. I have another mod in mind but have not yet tried it.

Simplicity is a virtue, to be sure. But it can also necessitate compromises that are less than ideal. The major compromise, for example, with the BD2 (note NOT the BD1) is that it is impossible to isolate the motor sufficiently- thus vibration (and usually hum as well) can upset the apple cart to various degrees of audible degradation- depending on the quality of other components.

I would like to say a word about Peter Belt, since his name has appeared on this thread.

I can’t say whether his theories are correct or not, but I don’t like the way people just slag him off at almost every opportunity mainly, I suspect, because ‘everyone is doing it’. That is not my idea of fair play.

I purchased two sets of headphones from him decades ago. I still have them, and I still use them (occasionally). They still work, and work well, though one has a minor fault.

He supplied these at a reasonable cost, and was always very helpful with my queries. I wish I could say these things about so many other manufacturers and businessmen in the hi fi commercial sector. Some day, someone, will explain to me why (almost no) women are ever seriously interested in hi fi.

Eguth

Just realised SHS was mistyped & meant to be SHP meaning "Sound Has Priority" who has unfortunately been banned

Certainly not yourself
Very much enjoy learning about the Connoisseur & your input on this thread in particular

And as it happens I agree with the fair play bit as well

Thanks for your comments.

I am puzzled as to why ‘soundhaspriority’ has been ‘banned’. I find his comments well thought out and based on (obviously) honest experience. Yes, he evidently has strongly held views- and expresses these strongly at times- but NO- I haven’t seen anything he contributed to discussions that even came close to what could be regarded as the ‘forbidden’ end of civilized communication . Do you know of any way I can find out why he has been banned? Presumably pfm gives ‘banned ones’ a chance to apologise (if needs be on the forum) and, in due course, to return to the fold.

Even the prison system does not ’ban’ people from society permanently.

Eguth

Most Forums allow Re- acceptance into the fold
Don't know about PFM rules & procedures .. I am very new here myself .. but having read (glanced to be more precise) through some of the threads I too am puzzled on the SHP ban.

fancythat;Happily I had forgotten all about this guy Peter Belt Why "happily"? Did he personally show up at your flat and punch your dog said:
Happily .. because years ago I found I had lost patience with the Hi-fi industry when many companies made a lot of money making spurious claims .. I classed Peter Belt among them .. (but there are others)
My concern was over-hyping & marketing & exorbitant profit margins.

I don't like sheep or group thinking mentality either.

Returning to the original thread for a moment does anyone have or know of the best protractor and cartridge alignment to use with the BD1 ? The arm I have is the original Sugden from 1973/74 vintage & it was assembled before I bought it. The original instruction documents have been mislaid & most info I find on the web relates to the BD2.

Thanks

Mr. Fancythat,

Have you seen the thread on the Audio discussion about starting a Pink Fish Library.

How about loaning a couple of cheaper Belt accessories so we can have a go at making a dispassionate appraisal of his methods?

Cheers, Harry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back