advertisement

Just How Good Are Modern Compacts?

merlin

Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.
All of my pictures have been taken with an ageing compact or an iPhone recently. In the old days I worked at Fox Talbot and had a huge variety of 35mm kit.

I'm wondering if any of the latest enthusiast compacts are good enough for most people's purposes?

I did buy a Fuji Mirrorless device but thought in honesty, I would most likely not have it with me when I could take a great shot as it was too big.

Is there anything out there that will almost match something like that?

If you want something that fits in your pocket, you'd be hard pressed to better the Sony RX100, just pick a model to fit your budget.

I owned the original RX100 for a while (misplaced it for an hour and had it nicked) and I felt the size was just right for its purpose. I like the Fuji stuff but agree that it still feels like you're lugging around an extra accessory, even if the kit is compact. The Sony is small enough to really don't be a bother at all slipped into a jacket pocket or the like.

It took great pictures for what it is, and the DR was surprisingly workable in post.

Leica Q. Fantastic lens - a friend has one. Not cheap though.

The Leica looks superb but I possibly should have added that I need variable focal length - and the more I can get without too much compromise the better obviously. What I shoot - which are primarily landscapes - don't really need to have fantastic macro performance but sometimes I'm lucky enough to see some wonderful wildlife and would like to capture it.

I’ve got a Sony RX100M3. Very pleased with it. Almost silent, unobtrusive, excellent, sharp, accurate photos and small and light enough to stick into a reasonable pocket or carry in a belt pouch. The viewfinder lets me engage with what I’m photographing better than a screen, but the screen is great for strange angles. Can’t see me buying an SLR type camera again.

If I didn't have the sports/action photography requirement, I'd ditch my dslr kit and just buy the next top iPhone. It really would be that simple for me.

Thanks. That was a while ago. St Ives. It would be great there if it wasn't for all the people! Oh I agree. That review really doesn't do it justice. Plenty of fan sites out there showing what it can do. It's always heavily touted as a street camera largely due it's understated appearance, size and snap focus features. But at the end of the day it's a camera and takes pictures of anything! It is beautifully designed though and you can access almost everything with one hand.

based on your pics, i'm sure the camera is great, but the ones in that review leave a lot to be desired.

btw -- really like this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robdavisphotos/14513811430/

I think Mike is looking for a compact with a variable focal length lens. Isn't the Ricoh GR a fixed focal job?

Joe

Those Foveon sensors are interesting. I bet the images from the DP2 look spectacular on my 5k iMac.

On the topic of ridiculous jacket pocket cameras I regret selling my Sigma DP2 Merrill. But that might just be due to now having some distance to the post processing experience.

You're right. I didn't see his follow up post. Yes the GR is a fixed 28mm equivalent. Not for everyone. I really like 28mm. Forces you to get creative!

I think Mike is looking for a compact with a variable focal length lens. Isn't the Ricoh GR a fixed focal job?

Joe

Mike,

Another compact camera to consider: the Panasonic lumix LX-100. It gets great reviews and it’s not stupidly expensive.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-lx100

Joe

Thanks Joe. In fact I still have an LX-3 and have to say, the results have been pleasing. Before that I had (still have it somewhere) a Contax T2.

What about the TZ-100? I like the idea of a real telephoto (for much of the wildlife I encounter) and also the full frame sensor. Am I getting caught up on specs?

My friend swears by his Sony RX100 and I have to say, it IS beautifully put together. Same focal length range as the LX-100 though.

Mike,

I'd go with the LX-100. I'm a sucker for real controls and the camera is small and of high quality, and the lens is fast and covers a very respectable range.

I don't know if the Leica version of the LX-100 is the same, but it is definitely more expensive.

Joe

RX100M3, had mine for a while now and love the quality of the pictures and the flexibility. Most of all, though, the view finder is a great tool to have on such a small camera.

I have to say thanks Joe. I would probably have skipped the LX-100 for reasons that really would be unimportant to me. I appreciate that the RX100 might well be a better solution in the sort of light I get to enjoy, but the one thing I miss with the LX3 is the controls of yore that allowed me to make my own choices rather than sticking it on program mode and being done with it.

I will have a play with the LX-100 this week How do you think it can compare with a mirrorless alternative with a packaged lens?

advertisement

Back