advertisement

People denied right to vote in UK for first time ever due to lack of ID

notaclue

pfm Member
The slow creep of Tory authoritarianism just took a leap. All part of the war on those without the right papers.

"People have been denied the right to vote in local council elections in a controversial pilot of ID checks that force voters to prove their identities before casting their ballot.
The trial scheme has prompted concerns the measures will disproportionately affect black and ethnic minority people, the elderly and migrants.
A 76-year-old man who has lived in Bromley for 40 years told The Independent he was "shocked" to be turned away because he did not have a bank card or passport."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-trial-polling-stations-latest-a8333916.html

They're taking a leaf out of the US GOP's book. If you can't persuade folks to vote for you then disenfranchise them.

As far as I know, the pilot was publicised well in advance and people in the area made aware they’d be asked for ID. I have to say, it doesn’t strike me as odd that I might be asked to prove my right to vote, or that I haven’t already voted. I have always wondered what would happen if I turned up at the polling station to vote and found that ‘my’ vote had already been exercised.

As far as I know, the pilot was publicised well in advance and people in the area made aware they’d be asked for ID. I have to say, it doesn’t strike me as odd that I might be asked to prove my right to vote, or that I haven’t already voted. I have always wondered what would happen if I turned up at the polling station to vote and found that ‘my’ vote had already been exercised.
Apparently it has never happened in any of the boroughs running the trial.

I’ve never been asked for anything beyond presenting my polling card. I know in the US it has been a deliberate strategy of the political right to deny the vote in poor black areas etc and it will be sickening should it arrive here. Journalist Greg Palast is very interesting to read on this subject, he has mountains of evidence of election rigging in the US driven by the Republican Party and their affiliates.

You don't even need to bring your polling card usually. Barnet managed to register me twice on the electoral roll and sent me out two polling cards - sorted that out a while back. Last time round they didn't have the right version of the rolls at the Polling station - so people were being turned away. Had to return later in the day once that cock-up had been sorted out.

The slow creep of Tory authoritarianism just took a leap.

Wouldn't the requirement for ID hit the tories harder than the other parties though?

After all it's the oap blue rinses who vote tory and are therefore more likely to forget their ID.

There'll be an amendment to the policy soon that werther's originals are an acceptable form of ID to vote.

images

I voted once when I was 18,, somehow I seen it as the thing to do, and because I was 18.
Now I wonder why people vote,,, they always seem to be voting for the lesser of two evils and not for something that they want or whole hartedly believe in. I don't think it matters anyway as present day governments never carry through with the manifesto they just talk in riddles that sound well or somehow emotive, but mean little, they then manipulate statistics to somehow make them look good in short clips that get repeatedly played.
They are never guilty of any "WRONGDOING" and seem beyond answering to the people.

I voted once when I was 18,, somehow I seen it as the thing to do, and because I was 18.
Now I wonder why people vote,,, they always seem to be voting for the lesser of two evils and not for something that they want or whole hartedly believe in. I don't think it matters anyway as present day governments never carry through with the manifesto they just talk in riddles that sound well or somehow emotive, but mean little, they then manipulate statistics to somehow make them look good in short clips that get repeatedly played.
They are never guilty of any "WRONGDOING" and seem beyond answering to the people.
No. If people more people voted for what they whole heartedly believe in we'd have fewer manipulative politicians who step into to the gap created by apathy.

The slow creep of Tory authoritarianism just took a leap. All part of the war on those without the right papers.

"People have been denied the right to vote in local council elections in a controversial pilot of ID checks that force voters to prove their identities before casting their ballot.
The trial scheme has prompted concerns the measures will disproportionately affect black and ethnic minority people, the elderly and migrants.
A 76-year-old man who has lived in Bromley for 40 years told The Independent he was "shocked" to be turned away because he did not have a bank card or passport."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-trial-polling-stations-latest-a8333916.html
Social cleansing continues
This government needs to go, sharpish.

Conversly I remain off the opinion that if no one votes for the lesser of two evils; as they currently do it shows government that they are getting little support and ultumately the people are disgusted with them!
To simply for A or B is not a true choice and any vote for any party shows support for a manifesto which may as well be written on toilet paper.
Government are answerable to the people in name only and this needs to change!

Sometimes the lesser of two evils is MUCH less evil. Therefore your vote is not wasted.
It might be true this time but it was not in 97 or 2005....they were just as evil. Worse because they pretended that they were for the people. Instead they went and killed a load of them, and did not undo anything the Tories did previously.

I completely understand why people don't vote. There could be an election condition that if less than x% of the population turn out to vote, then all campaigners with less than x% of the total should be pulled apart by chimpanzees for not engaging the population, wasting a lot of money in the process. That would be ace.

We have entered an era of pop politics, X factor campaigns, Oscar winning speeches, overblown statements that mean nothing once in power.
We need a revolution in politics, someone who actually tells the truth, stands by their convictions, at whatever cost to themselves....wait a minute, we already have this person.

Tick tock folks, time is a running out for the future of this country.

I cant see what the fuss is. flashing a bus pass, student card to vote in a civic matter.
No worries. Might sort out a bit of identity fraud regarding block votes or other moves. Its not all about disenfranchisement some of it connects to keeping Council Tax lower etc.

advertisement

Back