advertisement

£500-ish cartridge for SME V

I have had a few so called buget cartridges in the past which are good until you hear what an expensive one can do my first taste of the higher end in cartridges was a transfiguration temper I was gutted when it finally come to the end of its life and I had it re tipped but it was never the same

I have had a few Dynavector cartridges since dv17,xx2 & a lyra Delos but the one I use now and quite happy with is a Zyx Fuji

A expensive cartridge does make a difference provided you have a decent phono stage everything becomes more real.

(...)
A expensive cartridge does make a difference provided you have a decent phono stage everything becomes more real.

I have a decent phono stage (EAR834 deluxe) as a spare and a great phono stage as standard... unfortunately I only have around £500 for a new cart...

I have come to the conclusion that I need a new cartridge for my SME 20 with SME V.

The last two carts in the arm have been Dynavector DV20XL and Grado Sonata.

The budget available is in the £500 range.

The phono stage is upmarket with a good range of gain and loading settings (Aesthetix Rhea Signature - the recent upgrade to Sig spec explains why the budget is rather low).

I liked the hifi aspects of the Dynavector and the musical aspects of the Grado. I had fun with a Denon 103 in my 12" Ittok but would want a little more detail than the 103 can provide. I have no prejudices concerning MM and MC...
Sum
I have come to the conclusion that I need a new cartridge for my SME 20 with SME V.

The last two carts in the arm have been Dynavector DV20XL and Grado Sonata.

The budget available is in the £500 range.

The phono stage is upmarket with a good range of gain and loading settings (Aesthetix Rhea Signature - the recent upgrade to Sig spec explains why the budget is rather low).

I liked the hifi aspects of the Dynavector and the musical aspects of the Grado. I had fun with a Denon 103 in my 12" Ittok but would want a little more detail than the 103 can provide. I have no prejudices concerning MM and MC...
I use the Sumiko Pearwood on mine as it was built using the SME V tone arm you deserve such a cartridge for that great deck and arm you will get so much more out your deck.

Reactions: koi
I have had a few so called buget cartridges in the past which are good until you hear what an expensive one can do my first taste of the higher end in cartridges was a transfiguration temper I was gutted when it finally come to the end of its life and I had it re tipped but it was never the same

I have had a few Dynavector cartridges since dv17,xx2 & a lyra Delos but the one I use now and quite happy with is a Zyx Fuji

The l.o.Temper was at the top of the Transfig ladder, Koi, and if it's anything like my Proteus, or indeed its forerunner, the Orpheus, you'd have had a hard time trying to emulate it with the cart's you list. Even a Titan i (a lovely cart.), at least on my deck, doesn't cut the mustard against my Proteus. Who re-tipped your temper, b.t.w.?

To spend almost £12,000 on a deck and arm only to put a £500 cartidge on it will not bring the best out on the turntable. However I understand maybe the budget cant go higher at this time in such a case I would go along to a SME dealer or at least phone one for advice.

The l.o.Temper was at the top of the Transfig ladder, Koi, and if it's anything like my Proteus, or indeed its forerunner, the Orpheus, you'd have had a hard time trying to emulate it with the cart's you list. Even a Titan i (a lovely cart.), at least on my deck, doesn't cut the mustard against my Proteus. Who re-tipped your temper, b.t.w.?

Mike
Esco re-tipped the temper.

I’d look for an Ortofon Rohmann.

They are out of production, sometimes available via the Ortofon treasure chest, re tipped and ready to go.

I used two of them on a PT Anniversary/SME V combo, a highly satisfactory resolution and none of the glacial icy perfection oft mentioned, just well presented music to my lugs.

Strange, because my friend with his Orbe/Five rejected the Rohmann as lacklustre (I was there at the time and agreed). He swapped it out for a Helikon. Although the Rohmann has a rather low output, the Prefix he was using would have coped.

Well, I have ordered a Grado Sonata 2 to replace the worn out Sonata...

The old Sonata sounded good (more musical if less detailed than the DV 20XL) and they do a very decent discount if you have a worn out cart to trade in (at least here in France they do).

I heard at the Wam HiFi Show last year a SME V Gold, on a 20, with a Hana SL. Astonishingly good for that ballpark money..

I had an Ortofon Quintet Bronze with my SMEIV. It was very good. You have to spend a lot more to noticeably better it.

advertisement

Back