advertisement

Music Books

My copy of this arived last week:

BOOK-COVER_EN-Andy.jpg

I am saving it until Christmas to read.

Copies are still available from Eastgate: https://www.edgarfroese.de/shop/products.php?g1=e0ab31

Surprises me, I’d have thought there would be as much market for a book by Froese as most other musos. He’s an interesting influential bloke and TD sold shed-loads of albums.

Miles Davis Autobiography (Miles) is excellent - honest, blunt, and makes you want to play jazz in NYC in the 50s and 60s. Essential if you are interested in jazz, Miles, or why heroin should be avoided.

White Bicycles – Making Music in the 1960s - by Joe Boyd is an excellent, fascinating story of music in the 60s by the chap that produced and managed various bands. Highly recommended.

I'll second ' White Bicycles ' by Joe Boyd. Excellent.
If any PFM member wishes to borrow it, please PM me.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I picked up a copy of Lol Tolhurst's autobiography 'Cured' in a charity shop today for a couple of quid. Be interesting to read about his side of the story.

Have just scanned this thread, which has confirmed my worry that in the company of the Li'l Fishes, I am a relative musical ignoramus. But 'hey!! I know what I like.. In recent years I've found it increasingly hard to concentrate on books and tend to go for 'dip in' type books. I'm also a nerdy sort of fact geek around the music I like, so I tend to revel in trivia about which later Motown star was first heard on record in the 1950s on some Doo Wop 'One hit wonder', etc., or in seeking out the original of the original on which half of British pop was based in the 1960s.

I bought the very large and expensive Bill Wyman limited edition signed book a few years back, but mostly as an investment which has so far showed little sign of paying off. Also have a few bits and pieces about Marley, Morrison and Dylan, plus (naturally) Guinness Book of Hit Singles (1988 edition.. nothing worthwhile since really, or in fact for many years before..;) so I don't need a later edition. ) and a Billboard US equivalent. Also the RCRRPG.

Still regret not picking up a very comprehensive book on Motown seen at the book shop in Saltaire a year or so back and especially regret not even taking a pic of it as a reminder. This may be it.. will order it soon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0500518297/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Have just scanned this thread, which has confirmed my worry that in the company of the Li'l Fishes, I am a relative musical ignoramus. But 'hey!! I know what I like.. In recent years I've found it increasingly hard to concentrate on books and tend to go for 'dip in' type books. I'm also a nerdy sort of fact geek around the music I like, so I tend to revel in trivia about which later Motown star was first heard on record in the 1950s on some Doo Wop 'One hit wonder', etc., or in seeking out the original of the original on which half of British pop was based in the 1960s.

I bought the very large and expensive Bill Wyman limited edition signed book a few years back, but mostly as an investment which has so far showed little sign of paying off. Also have a few bits and pieces about Marley, Morrison and Dylan, plus (naturally) Guinness Book of Hit Singles (1988 edition.. nothing worthwhile since really, or in fact for many years before..;) so I don't need a later edition. ) and a Billboard US equivalent. Also the RCRRPG.

Still regret not picking up a very comprehensive book on Motown seen at the book shop in Saltaire a year or so back and especially regret not even taking a pic of it as a reminder. This may be it.. will order it soon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0500518297/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Gerri Hirshey’s Nowhere to Run is a terrific account of the Motown/Atlantic 60s scene. It has that ‘dip in’ quality you might appreciate, too. Enjoy!

Former NME journalist and BBC Radio Ulster broadcaster Stuart Bailie has written a book called Trouble Songs. It covers music and conflict in Northern Ireland since 1968. Tom Robinson called the book "astonishing" on his BBC 6 Music show last night and loves the depth and detail it goes into.

Stuart has interviewed many people for Trouble Songs and you can hear him talking about it to Tom Robinson here, from 1.59 onwards: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b2xpp5

Stuart has done a playlist of 105 songs for the book on Spotify. You can find them by entering Trouble Songs.

He says he has been deliberately factual to stop bias in both the selection of music and telling of the story.

I've know Stuart since the late '80s and he is an excellent journalist and writer. You can buy the book on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1527220478/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Trouble Songs has only just been published. If Amazon run out I am sure you can probably get it sent over from Northern Ireland.

Jack

Glam, by Simon Reynolds. Ostensibly a book about Glam, but really an essay about Bowie, interspersed with snippets about other Glam artistes. I guess focusing on Glam gives Reynolds an excuse to ignore Bowie's post Berlin output. Reynolds spends too much time for my liking on US Glam acts like The New York Dolls and The Tubes, while ignoring The Bay City Rollers. I suppose it's easier to write about "theoretical" bands like the Dolls than it is to write about practitioners like BCR.

He has some interesting things to say about The Rocky Horror Show phenomenon too.

So many favourite music books: Ian MacDonald's Revolution in the Head, Donald Fagen's Eminent Hipsters (man, can he write), Zappa's The Real Frank Zappa Book, Mingus's Beneath the Underdog, Steve Hanley's The Big Midweek, The Crack in the Cosmic Egg, Art Pepper's Straight Life, Miles Davis The Autobiography, etc etc etc

advertisement

Back