advertisement

£750 - Speakers that sound like an ES14?

I have a pair of ES14's but I've not used them for a while, I think the bass driver may need replacing.
Is it best to replace both the bass drivers at the same time ?
Are there any companies that perform there repairs and carry stocks of spares?
Thanks.

The Epos ES14 were indeed a special pair of speakers. You could look out for a pair of Epos ES22 or ES25 if you can find them as they have similar traits to the ES14, but a bit more of everything. I personally preferred the ES22 as I felt that the ES25 could become a little woolly in the bass.

I tried many a sub with the ES14’s but never found them possible to match, because the Epos have quite a fast bass and subs can rarely keep up so they sounded detached.

Someone mention Naim SBL’s, no, no, no, they would sound like someone dragging their fingernails up and down a blackboard after the Epos.

I bought an Olive Naim NAC62/NAP180/ES14 based system back in 1991 and kept it as my main system until about 2010 or so, when I got the upgrade bug. I sometimes wonder why I bothered, and whether where I have ended up is much better? I still have the ES14s in storage but the Naim stuff is long gone and the sources have all changed too, so can't compare now.

Used have a pair of ES14's back in the day. Great speakers, really tight & tuneful. 40 should be more than capable of driving them well

I bought an Olive Naim NAC62/NAP180/ES14 based system back in 1991 and kept it as my main system until about 2010 or so, when I got the upgrade bug. I sometimes wonder why I bothered, and whether where I have ended up is much better? I still have the ES14s in storage but the Naim stuff is long gone and the sources have all changed too, so can't compare now.

The Naim/Epos combos worked extremely well as did Exposure when you added their amps, which then had the slight edge.

The Russell k 100 were compared to the Epos as having a similar sound,you may pick up a pair s/h for around 800 pound,sound very nice with a Naim system.

What difference did it make to the sound of the speakers?

Slightly sweetens the top end and makes it sound a little more airy with better texture, more transparent. I would recommend replacing the electrolytic - but I wouldn't bother going to something as expensive as Mundorf silver/gold, for example. The Clarity Cap picture above should be fine.

I wonder why the Epos ES14's are not in production today ?

There's clearly a considerable amount of people who have owned and still enjoy these speakers.

I wonder why the Epos ES14's are not in production today ?

There's clearly a considerable amount of people who have owned and still enjoy these speakers.

Primarily because the ES14 was made by an Epos that went bust. The Epos that now exists is effectively just the name and is owned by Creek, there is very little connection back to the original firm.

The original Epos was the high end mark of Mordaunt-Short which they bought in 1998 and the ES14 were made by the highly rated loudspeaker designer, Robin Marshall who eventually retired.

Also if they were made now, they likely be much more expensive and probably as a result price themselves out of the market and they aren’t exactly pretty with their industrial look.

Holy thread necro! I wonder if he's still looking, 6 years on...
It’s the forum equivalent of grave desecration. Not only that, the horror that the manufacturer was such a skinflint they put a 2.2uF electrolytic in the things. Total disgrace....

advertisement

Back