advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+3)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"A devastating assessment of the government’s Brexit trade strategy of “rejecting a three-course meal for a packet of crisps”. Full text of Martin Donnelly’s speech to Kings College last week, exclusively on openDemocracy." https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/ma...o-much-skilled-negotiating-team-as-fairy-godm

The short version is we're heading for "significant damage to employment, the structure of the economy and the competitiveness of UK firms."

And we'll be better off 'cos we can keep all the crisps for ourselves.

Latest Panorama does a good job of knocking the immigration argument for Brexit squarely on the head. Just watch the first 3 minutes when Nick Robinson poses a few questions to punters in Mansfield. Even that ejit who runs Wetherspoons is having second thoughts.

God, just watched that, how depressing. The immigration card is just full of racism and ignorance.

Caroline Nokes does not help the Tory cause either.

What is not addressed though is why they cannot find UK staff. What's everyone doing?

3 zero hours jobs already?
Seems to be a lot of business leaders regularly wheeled out in the media saying they offer full-employment benefits all above minimum wage etc etc but they can't find people. And everyone is doing really shit gig jobs instead.

Actually, the repsondents are always from quite big employers. They had Wetherspoons, Aston amrtin, The NHS, a quite large looking chicken place and a chain of restaurants, the name I forget.

Perhaps the Beeb needs to get down to some gritty northern estates in a unit with 10 employees and see what is going on there.

God, just watched that, how depressing. The immigration card is just full of racism and ignorance.

Yes, and immigration concerns are the basis of the Brexit vote.

What is not addressed though is why they cannot find UK staff. What's everyone doing?

Probably many explanations, but unsocial hours, distance from home, rates of pay, lack of prospects and low esteem jobs are contenders. Heavy industry type work has been replaced by the zero-hours contracts.

Yes....but...the BBC is placing these seemingly benign and appealing companies in the documentary, all of whom say we can't get the staff, That leaves a bit of a question mark.

Why can't they get staff, why are these companies coming on TV shows saying this whilst people are doing shit jobs or no jobs instead?

Lol, he was my boss in 2016, not that I ever met him.....the DTI is not a great source of info. Admittedly he is no longer there, but he was for a time. I know his type. The data we gathered was poor and our objectives were self-serving. I was in the export department too, as research adviser....close to it all!
I think given a choice between your own expert analysis and that of a former Permanent Secretary, Sir Martin Donnolly- you’ll excuse me while I have a Lolz (as you might say).

I guess that would require another programme. Immigrants taking low paid, low-status jobs is fairly common across many 'well off' countries. On the other hand, immigrants often have the skills and knowledge that we are short of in the UK. God, even the Daily Mail also tells us that immigrants are hard working and beneficial to the country. "Migrants more are more likely to have job in UK than native workers: Foreigners also more likely to open their own business, report says."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-open-business-report-says.html#ixzz59GmioGvK
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I think given a choice between your own expert analysis and that of a former Permanent Secretary, Sir Martin Donnolly- you’ll excuse me while I have a Lolz (as you might say).
True, Dec, I am a mere pleb. He is possibly in the London elite and will be perceived as being more credible than me. But my cynicism is born from close experience. DTI management would often scrabble around looking for info to prove a point, much of which would float to the top for people like him. I was once asked on a panel that included the ambassador to Saudi to discuss objective assessment of countries in the middle east. I put up some data that showed Saudi as being difficult and therefore less attractive to UK companies as a potential export market than other middle east countries. The ambassador went mad and I got in trouble. Why? I was just being objective.

You may think I am incoherent and thick in comparison. I thought most people in DTI were just completely useless.

“Elite”,”Expert”- coterminous with “Enemies of The People”. I don’t think you’re thick btw., but youre just not credible next to a Permanent Secretary. It’s the major problem with Brexit- it was built on sand and ignorance and some very dishonest promises by some very large political liars and their payers. Stir together and you have the Endarkenment.

I guess that would require another programme. Immigrants taking low paid, low-status jobs is fairly common across many 'well off' countries. On the other hand, immigrants often have the skills and knowledge that we are short of in the UK. God, even the Daily Mail also tells us that immigrants are hard working and beneficial to the country. "Migrants more are more likely to have job in UK than native workers: Foreigners also more likely to open their own business, report says."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-open-business-report-says.html#ixzz59GmioGvK
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Right, seems Panorama might be picking companies with some gloss to support the point they want to get across, otherwise they would have shown companies less appealing to work in. I mean where is deliveroo on the challenges of finding staff? Their job ad: 'we pay shit money, you get no holidays and sometimes you end up paying for the pizzas because you were a minute late'. But they have a lot of 'staff'

Another thing is, I must have interviewed 5,000 companies in my 10 years at DTI. Loads of them hated the EU. My guess is more than half. I wish I knew exactly. Even if it was less than half, I don't recall one of them being interviewed in these kinds of documentaries.

The panorama immigration point was won early on, as gassor says. People on the street don't know what kinds of immigrants they don't want. They just don't want them, even though they don't realise they might need them.

But it weakens when they interview these posh companies all pro-EU, wheeling Wetherspoons out as the token Brexiteeer.

ISTM that the BBC is getting about equal stick from those complaining it is too Brexit-friendly (lots of airtime for the likes of Farage) and from those complaining that its coverage is too negatively anti-Brexit. Which suggests, to me at least, that they are geetting the balance about right. The acid test, as always, is 'does it piss off the Daily Mail?' If it does, it can't be far wrong.

True, Dec, I am a mere pleb. He is possibly in the London elite and will be perceived as being more credible than me. But my cynicism is born from close experience. DTI management would often scrabble around looking for info to prove a point, much of which would float to the top for people like him. I was once asked on a panel that included the ambassador to Saudi to discuss objective assessment of countries in the middle east. I put up some data that showed Saudi as being difficult and therefore less attractive to UK companies as a potential export market than other middle east countries. The ambassador went mad and I got in trouble. Why? I was just being objective.

You may think I am incoherent and thick in comparison. I thought most people in DTI were just completely useless.
I think you have just, by the example you seem so proud to reference above, just how unsuited you were to whatever position you held.

Another thing is, I must have interviewed 5,000 companies in my 10 years at DTI. Loads of them hated the EU. My guess is more than half. I wish I knew exactly. Even if it was less than half, I don't recall one of them being interviewed in these kinds of documentaries.

Not being picky but you interviewed 2 or 3 companies a day for 10 years?

Not being picky but you interviewed 2 or 3 companies a day for 10 years?

'It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it'. Plus, presumably there were other duties involved as well as interviewing companies? I must have interviewed hundreds of candidates for jobs over the years, but that was in amongst many other tasks, all far too tedious to describe.

'It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it'. Plus, presumably there were other duties involved as well as interviewing companies? I must have interviewed hundreds of candidates for jobs over the years, but that was in amongst many other tasks, all far too tedious to describe.
I was asking richglib. My point was just how feasible it would be to interview 2 or 3 companies a day in a 5 day civil service week? If it were some telephone type survey, then OK. If face to face, with associated travel time depending on which region he worked in, perhaps not so easy.

Perhaps the guy who did it can tell us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back