advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+3)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick_G

pfm Member
EU freezes Brexit talks until Britain produces Irish border solution - Independent
Get out of that one smeg-for-brains May

Also: Bleak Brexit analysis published by Parliament - Guardian

Parliament’s Brexit committee has published the bleak Whitehall analysis of the economic impact of leaving the European Union that sparked a battle over government secrecy.

MPs voted in January for the document to be published in full but its release was resisted by the Brexit secretary, David Davis.

As leaks of the document suggested, it finds that economic growth would be hit by any of the existing models for a future relationship with the EU – a Norway-type European Economic Area (EEA) model; a free trade agreement; or trade using World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules alone.

Under the worst scenario – a WTO-type arrangement – GDP could decline by a cumulative 7.7% over 15 years, the analysis finds; while under an EEA deal it would be 1.6%.

Also:
Hilary Benn said after considering Davis’s requests for aspects of the report to be redacted, the committee had decided to omit a single annex, on the basis that it could compromise negotiations.

I wonder what that might be? "We're screwed", perhaps?

See here: https://www.parliament.uk/documents...EU-Exit-Analysis-Cross-Whitehall-Briefing.pdf

Edit: Looks like my post crossed with Dec's.

That customs fraud accusation is a good example of why UK needs to get out

This illustrates the key weakness of the Brexit argument. Get out to .... what ?

In life you only get a limited set of choices, and some times you have to work within the present confines because it's the LEAST BAD OPTION. This is what Brexiters don't seem to understand. It's true the EU has a lot of problems just as it's true that Westminster has a lot of problems, but they have completely failed to demonstrate that leaving the EU is the better option.

So please, brexiters quit carping about the failures of the EU and tell us exactly how the UK will be better off leaving the UK and going it alone. And, no the UK is no longer a world superpower, militarily or economically. The UK is a very pleasant, small, heavily indebted, not particularly well educated, service economy island off the coast of Europe with a structural balance of trade deficit that will gradually erode the standard of living. It seems to me that leaving the "protection" of the EU will accelerate this decline, but if you brexiters think it will improve the UK economically, culturally, and in terms of social welfare let's hear how that will happen.

This illustrates the key weakness of the Brexit argument. Get out to .... what ?

Is that the only part of my post that is interesting to you? You don't think it is worth discussing instead how a conclusion has been made that the UK is the import processing baddy across the whole of the EU? And must be fined.......

The prison camp guards want to hurt us. Again.

Time for another one of those victim cards

DXdZh55XUAAEI0a.jpg

It wasn't a matter of Germany merely 'letting them in', it was a matter of Merkel (unilaterally) saying come, we will take all of you. We can do it. Mainly, I understand, as a knee jerk reaction to being made to feel guilty on a TV programme.
'We can do it.' I'm sorry, but I wonder how many thousands of people those words drowned in the Mediterranean.
Setting aside whether or not this is entirely accurate, I didn't.
His name is George, not Sharon. Why does everyone on pfm insist on calling him Osbourne?
Who even tried to strike a balance? That would have required planning, and there wasn't any. The right is resurgent to at least some degree because the people of those countries have had immigrants foisted on them by the EU and Germany, not despite it.
Please don't start playing the guilt card. It can never end well, and is entirely self-destructive. You and I are not our great-great-great-great (...) grandparents.
Very noble, but at what cost to the integrity of the EU which you so admire? They forgot to ask the people (again). Look at it now. Fences on the external borders, frontiers on the internal ones, the far right resurgent. Great work, well thought through.
Who?

I feel like the EU. If you are going to argue with someone at least quote/blame the right person.

Germany was one of the supposed victims of VAT fraud, since stuff has been arriving into their country via UK...I invite whoever made this up to come down to the Zoll offices where I live and I'll show them how easy it is. The people that are supposedly doing this are foreign criminal gangs and are probably sending it to the UK because the paperwork is in English, not German. Meanwhile the French and Germans are getting away with all sorts of stuff on the border here.

Looks like you want the UK to totally lose out on on all aspects, writing stuff like that. Why?

No, I'm hoping that this will be the issue that brings down this incompetent, spineless, callous, lying, useless, excuse for a 'government' that care more about saving their own sorry selves rather than doing what is right for the country. I've never known any as bad as this in my lifetime.

Germany was not investigated, UK was, actually UK was investigated again, after a previous investigation showed they did not collect VAT and customs. They got a second chance.

I don't think that gets to the heart of the matter at all....actually it does in a way. Refer to those childish cards, the one with Liam Fox's ugly mug on it.

As someone who voted out in Brexit and then promptly moved to Strasbourg to gain advantage over his business competitors why don't you tell us how the UK should prosper ?

He said something the other day about having different facts to the facts presented. The most arrogant post I've ever seen.

This should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back