advertisement

Metal

I'm more black, death and doom (brush stroke), so many genres these days! The UK scene is quietly making some serious waves at the moment. I came from an industrial background before metal devoured my existence.

I don't really listen to much new stuff to be honest, most of my metal listening comes from these tried-and-tested bands. I lived in Nottingham in the 80's early 90's so got a taste for the classic Earache stuff. I find it hard to discover new metal/grind/doom/death (whatever) that isn't derivative.

sabbath, motorhead, witchfinder general, saint vitus, diamond head, celtic frost, hellhammer, death, brutal truth, carcass, earth, sleep, om, napalm death, nuclear-assault, macabre, melvins, obiturary, autopsy, pungent stench, meathook seed, godflesh, early entombed, repulsion, ravens creed, iron monkey, fudge tunnel, sepultura, early slayer, early metallica, early megadeth, eaarly maiden, voivod, winter

I'm listening to a lot of Earth at the moment - not quite classifiable as 'metal' but slow, heavy, groovy, layered and original.

All of the above mixed with classic rock, krautrock, indie, punk (another big interest of mine), electronic, prog and jazz makes for some confused neighbours.

Me too - i have loved metal since i was a kid in mid 80's, Iron Maiden, megadeth, metallica, anthrax, W.A.S.P, onslaught, overkill, testament, accept.
I listen to a fairly wide range of music now; bluegrass to electronic. however I just don't get jazz in any of its forms.

My go-to music is still old skool metal.
Jay

For me it's weird. I have been heavily involved in extreme metal for a long time (one of my old bands was signed to Earache, as it happens). But nowadays I often don't feel much enthusiasm for new stuff, by which I mean from the last 5 or so years. I'm still active in and enjoy some metal. But much of the time when I've heard new bands it's just too clear where various bits were cribbed from, even if it wasn't intentional. It's almost as if, after years of saturation, I have now listened to the full lifetime quota of metal for one adult male, and no longer need to hear any more new stuff.

I quite liked the recent Morbid Angel album, and there are things which are comparatively new to me like Portal, or Paracletus by Deathspell Omega. But much of the time if I fancy listening to that sort of thing, I'll reach for Clandestine or Dr Mysteriis or whatever. Albums from back when the whole thing was a bit more fresh. Still, we all go through phases, perhaps I'll go mad over something that's released later this year.

Edit: seems my post is basically what deek said, just moved a couple of years later and notch or two heavier :)

I've been looking at some of my records and I think the most recent bands I listen to would be Hooded Menace, Holy Mountain or perhaps Ufomammut, but even then they're not exactly new.

I had no idea Morbid Angel were still active. I gave up after Domination.

I don't really listen to much new stuff to be honest, most of my metal listening comes from these tried-and-tested bands. I lived in Nottingham in the 80's early 90's so got a taste for the classic Earache stuff. I find it hard to discover new metal/grind/doom/death (whatever) that isn't derivative.

sabbath, motorhead, witchfinder general, saint vitus, diamond head, celtic frost, hellhammer, death, brutal truth, carcass, earth, sleep, om, napalm death, nuclear-assault, macabre, melvins, obiturary, autopsy, pungent stench, meathook seed, godflesh, early entombed, repulsion, ravens creed, iron monkey, fudge tunnel, sepultura, early slayer, early metallica, early megadeth, eaarly maiden, voivod, winter

I'm listening to a lot of Earth at the moment - not quite classifiable as 'metal' but slow, heavy, groovy, layered and original.

All of the above mixed with classic rock, krautrock, indie, punk (another big interest of mine), electronic, prog and jazz makes for some confused neighbours.

Some great bands deek, I wasn't collecting metal in that era but have recent releases from Earache like the excellent Cult of Luna. Picked up the last Saint Vitus, Celtic Frost are awesome; their last is my absolute top 10 favourite (also picked up the back catalogue). Also Carcass and Earth (loved Primitive and Deadly on Southern Lord) but never quite got Voivod for some odd reason. Picked up the Godflesh "World..." on vinyl but not the lastest as yet and the early Entombed, "Left Hand Path" is without doubt a classic.

Me too - i have loved metal since i was a kid in mid 80's, Iron Maiden, megadeth, metallica, anthrax, W.A.S.P, onslaught, overkill, testament, accept.
I listen to a fairly wide range of music now; bluegrass to electronic. however I just don't get jazz in any of its forms.

My go-to music is still old skool metal.
Jay
Yeah, I picked up "White Devil Armory" and thought it was pretty cool but it isn't my thing but respect it totally. The latest W.A.S.P got some good reviews and yeah, I agree with you on the jazz, to be honest I can't stand saxophones! Some bands include jazz themes into their music (Pyrrhon) and it just doesn't click. I came from an electronic background when I was younger, mostly Industrial such as Skinny Puppy and Frontline Assembly which then showed the path into metal, the rest is history! There is so much metal I would possibly discover from the classic era but I made a conscious decision to look forward if you understand me. I wouldn't even know where to start with Maiden!

For me it's weird. I have been heavily involved in extreme metal for a long time (one of my old bands was signed to Earache, as it happens). But nowadays I often don't feel much enthusiasm for new stuff, by which I mean from the last 5 or so years. I'm still active in and enjoy some metal. But much of the time when I've heard new bands it's just too clear where various bits were cribbed from, even if it wasn't intentional. It's almost as if, after years of saturation, I have now listened to the full lifetime quota of metal for one adult male, and no longer need to hear any more new stuff.

I quite liked the recent Morbid Angel album, and there are things which are comparatively new to me like Portal, or Paracletus by Deathspell Omega. But much of the time if I fancy listening to that sort of thing, I'll reach for Clandestine or Dr Mysteriis or whatever. Albums from back when the whole thing was a bit more fresh. Still, we all go through phases, perhaps I'll go mad over something that's released later this year.

Edit: seems my post is basically what deek said, just moved a couple of years later and notch or two heavier :)
I totally understand, I am hearing todays metal as though it is fresh so I don't hear the influences as much as you Dave. But I am now hearing influences that are just obvious....then you mention Deathspell Omega! S**t, they are monumental, do check out their recent Dave, IMO, they are getting better with every release. I haven't checked out the latest Portal yet but intend too as soon as....do me a favour check out The King is Blind and let me know what you think.

Reactions: Jlc
I've been looking at some of my records and I think the most recent bands I listen to would be Hooded Menace, Holy Mountain or perhaps Ufomammut, but even then they're not exactly new.

I had no idea Morbid Angel were still active. I gave up after Domination.

Hey deek, I have heard the latest Hooded is great, I intend to check it out. I picked up Ufomammuts "Ecate" and loved it but not "8" yet but it had some good reviews. Morbid Angel have just released a new one in December with some saying it is a return to form, to quote a review on AMG :

"To review a record by a band whose career is as storied as Morbid Angel‘s, in the hopes of any kind of objectivity, is fraught. Is Kingdoms Disdained a return to form? The answer is a resounding yes, but let’s be honest, standards were treacherously low. Gone are the industrial indulgences, and, for the most part, gone is the writing that once so insulted my intelligence"

Well, it seems I should checkout Deathspell Omega then. Black metal is unknown territory for me really. I dig the obvious like Darkthrone (even their later stuff), Mayhem, Bathory etc. I'll let you know how I get on.

Don't start me on Black deek! :)
Darkthrone are really cool, have all their stuff, also Taake. Black is where my heart beats, when I listen to Dodecahedrons "Kwintessens" it sends me into places I can't describe; the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Lots more there, where do you want me to start! Let me know what you think about DSO and give the Dodecahedron a listen, believe me when it strikes you won't know what hit you!
Bathory, yeah; cool band too. I love Isole who are heavily influenced by Bathory, also the Isole side project Ereb Altor to recently released a tribute, do you know them? I actually also love some of the Viking black such as Moonsorrow.
Btw deek, by Celtic Frosts latest I meant Triptykon!! Got carried away there!

Another metaller here. Try to dip my toe into most sorts of metal but my “current flavours of the month” are Mgla and Inquisition, don’t think the latter have produced a bad album, although the vocal style divides audiences (even in the metal scene).

There are lots of new bands mentioned that i am not aware of, How about a list of newer metal bands that are genuinely doing something of their own?

Not so new but Volbeat from denmark have a fairly unique sound

I spend a lot of time listening to this German radio station - good selection of old and new and I am trying to learn German so it is a good excuse http://antenneheavy.radio.net/

What do you recommend?

Jay

advertisement

Back