advertisement

The 2018 F1 Thread

We've grown up with these engine sounds but it'd be interesting to hear what younger fans think of the new hybrids & Formula E. Only just played the Formula E clip and there's nothing to like at all about that sound. I don't actually mind the look of the cars though.

New 2018 Mercedes, not very high rev (compared to 2001 V10)(actually sounds more like Jos's 2001 Arrows :) )
https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/968042552912941057

Blame the fuel flow limit for that and the fact that a turbo engine can generate its max power much lower down the rev range. They could get them revving and creating power higher but the flow becomes too high.

MP4/4 V6 turbo from 1988 low revving per recent engines but still a nice sound (probably lower efficiency).

I don't really mind them per se they are a very technical sound and quite interesting but they do not elicit an emotional response that the shrieking V10's at 20k rpm do.

Or even the barrel chested sound of the 80s turbo F1 engines.

Just read Mark Hughes take on the first test: interesting, pretty much as expected, but with Red Bull looking more competitive, maybe.

As always, only the teams know who is actually 'going for it', and how much fuel they are carrying.

Given how awful the new safety hoops look, why on earth do Mercedes, and especially McLaren highlight them in a contrasting colour? Yeugh!

Still, if they save a life.....

(New features are all very well, but I still feel very strongly that Jules Bianchi's death was largely due to the incompetence of the race organisers - collision between a racing car and a bloody great tractor should never be possible under any circumstances.)

Still, if they save a life.....
They wouldn't have saved any lives in F1 in at least the last 30 years. It's already been acknowledged that JB wouldn't have been saved by the halo, and Massa would still have been hit on the head with a spring.

I suspect that the halo's will look a bit different come the first race as it didn't look like several of the teams had put their aero parts on them.

True, but the argument seems to be that Dan Wheldon and Henry Surtees could still be with us, and preventing the same injury in F1 before it happens would be real progress.
F1 is already the safest form of motorsport there is; they should concentrate on getting that level of safety to the lower levels of the sport rather than trying to make F1 safer. For F1 testing they can't run unless the medical helicopter can fly, but most meeting don't even have a medical helicopter!

IMV it's a step too far. You can make F1 safe, by not putting humans in the cars, or spectators and marshals around the track, but then it wouldn't really be F1 would it? There has to be a level at which we except the danger.

Agree about safety at clubbies, although some proposals would just price competition out of reach for many. Who pays for the helicopter? Entry fees are rising all the time as it is.
I got a buzz out of photography at Crystal Palace from behind a rhododendron, or two-tier armco at Brands and Thruxton, a straw bale at Silverstone. So I loathe catch-fencing and acres of run-off. Roll hoops on historic sports and single seaters ruin their aesthetic appeal. Full face helmets look all wrong in historics, too. But the cost of going back would be far worse.

And then H & S would just put a stop to it all.

Circuits? Softies!

I spent most of the 80s stood at the edge of forest tracks while seemingly out of control rally cars belted past, sometimes only a few inches away. What a buzz.

I haven't been to a forest rally since the 1990 RAC, so I bet that little joy in life has been taken away too.

Last year, Hamilton said Ferrari would be the team to beat and yet Mercedes managed to win both championships. This year, Vettel is saying Mercedes would be the team to beat. Will we see Ferrari winning both championships this year.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back