advertisement

£4750 off a Fiat Spider.

Rodrat

pfm Member
Dropped in my email so thought I would have a look and drive. I really liked it. Reviews seem to be a bit mixed and the MX5 is better in some areas. However reviews are not really driving reality. My wife suggested I was having a mid life crisis, she may be right. So I have gone from a seven seater people carrier to basically a toy. Had to go with red no other colour suits an Italian sports car.

Like this then? Very nice! OTR cost with options...?

38534300660_b1e3d831b2_c.jpg

They are very nice to drive. I tried one just over a year ago and the thing that puzzled me was the car was quieter at 70mph with the hood down than with the hood up. I think Fiat are struggling to sell these at the moment in the falling/failing car market so not surprised you got a deal. As a footnote; I went to test drive a Panda Cross, which was great apart from the inadequate seats, and ended up having a spin in a Spider as well. I am sure you will enjoy it and it has the added bonus of being much less common than its Mazda cousin.

Best part of £25k for the Lusso plus model before the discount. As always I go in to buy the base model and end up with one higher up.

The only thing I don't like is the silver trim around the windscreen. I would prefer black but it isn't an option.

I take it you couldn't have stretched the budget for the Abarth - no chrome on that.

Dropped in my email so thought I would have a look and drive. I really liked it. Reviews seem to be a bit mixed and the MX5 is better in some areas. However reviews are not really driving reality. My wife suggested I was having a mid life crisis, she may be right. So I have gone from a seven seater people carrier to basically a toy. Had to go with red no other colour suits an Italian sports car.
OK Rodrat, as you suspected it’s the male menopause. Send me your address and Ill get some Chinese testosterone replacement patches shipped over. You’ll be driving a milk float again in no time :) ( nice car btw. Look forward to your reports).

I wish my dad would think about himself and do the midlife crisis thing... some utter plank tried driving to work with a frozen windscreen and ended up parking his car underneath my dad’s car on Friday, completely wrote it off (my dad’s car was parked, he wasn’t in it)... he’s wanted a cabriolet forever and it’s time he treated himself... but he’ll probably end up with another estate car or an SUV. We all drive in my family so we’ve enough “family” cars between us.

I am very, very jealous. I have an old MX5, great fun and dirt cheap, but I really like the Fiat. I especially like the bonnet humps that are reminiscent of the 124 Spider. I looked at a 124 back in the 90's, along with Alfas, but couldn't find a good one and ended up buying a Triumph Spitfire. I didn't get an especially good one of those either but that's another story. A modern Mazda is much, much easier to live with and cheaper to buy to boot.

The thing that struck me about the Fiat is that it looks so much bigger than the current MX5 despite being virtually the same car. Its as if the Mazda version has been styled to look as small as possible to visually enhance its loss of weight compared to the previous version, whereas the Fiat seems to have more presence than the MX5 because of its squarish nose and seemingly longer boot.

My wife is also coming out with all the expected jokes. Male menopause being one. I will have to go through them all again at work and with my mates. I am not sure whether the Fiat meets the 'hair dressers' car remit or is this reserved for the Mazda? One of my daughters will be green with envy the other one will wonder if I have a mental health issue.

The Arbarth would have been pushing the spouse tolerance a bit to far. Also, it's not that much faster and I would expect more performance for the money. The main reason I went for the Lusso plus was the adaptive LED lighting as my night vision isn't as good as it was.

The rear end is a little longer than the MX5 which is why the boot is slightly larger. We still have the leather hold-all we bought when my wife had an MX5 back in the early 90's, back then it was all that would fit, now you can get two bags in.

I wish my dad would think about himself and do the midlife crisis thing... some utter plank tried driving to work with a frozen windscreen and ended up parking his car underneath my dad’s car on Friday, completely wrote it off (my dad’s car was parked, he wasn’t in it)... he’s wanted a cabriolet forever and it’s time he treated himself... but he’ll probably end up with another estate car or an SUV. We all drive in my family so we’ve enough “family” cars between us.

my old man has just lumped in on a new mustang, after umming and ahhing over Nissan suvs and the like.

I was surprised and happy.

/coolstorybro

my old man has just lumped in on a new mustang, after umming and ahhing over Nissan suvs and the like.

I was surprised and happy.

/coolstorybro
Good for him!

When your kids are grown up and you no longer really need a big family type vehicle, you shouldn’t just buy what you really want and have some fun. For my dad, that would probably be Germanic four seat convertible. Nothing wrong with having something you enjoy, a lot of those who take the piss are probably driving something that is a compromise for them.

advertisement

Back