advertisement

Nikon 200-500

ron

Tweaker
Thought I'd give one of these zooms a go with the D500. I've only tried it briefly, the weathers not been great so I just got a few Robin pics.
Its not too heavy , focus speed is definitely not as fast as either of my 300 primes with or without TC's. I'll see how it goes after more use. The build isn't bad although the lens hood is flimsy . VR is excellent, I could use it down at 1/10 at 500mm for static objects.
Its pretty sharp too

D500 200-500 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

500mm f5.6 , 1/25-1/50 , ISO800

_DSC5759_DxO D500 200-500 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC5774_DxO D500 200-500 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC5831_DxO D500 200-500 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

It works pretty well don't you think? How would you rate the quality and versatility against the primes?

Had a play with one of those in LCE the other week. Mulling over getting one for Motorsport. Quite impressed with the VR as you mention, AF speed is the one thing that is causes me to pause.

It works pretty well don't you think? How would you rate the quality and versatility against the primes?

For the price I'm impressed, its not as sharp as say my 300mm f2.8 + TC's (near or distant objects) but I wasn't expecting it to. Its closer to the 300mm PF + TC-14e iii, for closer distance the PF + TC is sharper but for longer distance objects the 200-500 is better . The main downside is focus speed, its slower than both primes with or without TC's

Had a play with one of those in LCE the other week. Mulling over getting one for Motorsport. Quite impressed with the VR as you mention, AF speed is the one thing that is causes me to pause.
The focus speed is its biggest weakness imo, its accurate and once its grabbed it stays locked on, the speed to lock on way behind the primes with or without TC's, its slower than my 80-400G too

That first Stag image is fantastic. Shows what you can get out of that lens, and that is not detracting from the skill of the person behind the camera. Top work.

I have been toying with the idea of getting on of these. My 70-300 is just not long enough ( and not really suitable for TX).
It would be interesting to see a comparison against you 300mm prime with TX.
Brilliant shots, with fantastic detail.

advertisement

Back