advertisement

Bullsh** claims by manufacturers? - share your best ones.....

So, we believe Peter Walker when he argues that all properly designed amplifiers sound the same, but we're sceptical when he says he can hear a fuse. OK, got it.
Interesting point. I guess for any given amplifier (and clearly amps do sound different), adding a fuse may conceivably result in an audible difference if the fuse is on the speaker outputs. Makes some sense to me from an engineering perspective.

cables of any sort make a difference.
You don’t think they do!? Are you really saying you can’t tell the difference between cheap RCA leads (e.g those that come in the box with a cheap DVD player) and decent ones? And cheap stringy speaker cable and decent stuff!? I agree that after a certain price point the differences fall to pretty much zero.

Interesting point. I guess for any given amplifier (and clearly amps do sound different), adding a fuse may conceivably result in an audible difference if the fuse is on the speaker outputs. Makes some sense to me from an engineering perspective.

Strangely enough yes fuses in the output of an amp or in a speaker can make a very significant effect for the worse. Fuses in the mains supply? No. not a chance. And Peter Walker didn't claim he could hear them.

You don’t think they do!? Are you really saying you can’t tell the difference between cheap RCA leads (e.g those that come in the box with a cheap DVD player) and decent ones? And cheap stringy speaker cable and decent stuff!? I agree that after a certain price point the differences fall to pretty much zero.

nope not a thing. Some years ago I had these amps in house, two of which were courtesy of Audio Note. The dealer in an attempt to sell me an AN amp left me with a range of expensive AN speaker cables and interconnects. None of the amps is "cheap", but I couldn't tell the difference between my cheapo Maplin's cables and the AN foo ones.....neither could my wife nor my neighbours.

Oh in case you were wondering the NAF amp won the day.

What does that even do?
I recall it was originally advertised as some form of 'disk demagnetiser', and did claim some benefits...FFS!!!

However after a right kicking on AOS, the claims were removed (perhaps coincidentally), and the product squirrelled away under a an 'accessories' menu, but it's still available for £3.3K...should you feel the urge! ;-)

No difference at all between interconnects as expected. Science predicts this and is of course right. Speaker cables, well the resistance can have an effect and so they need to be thick. Other than that no difference.

I recall it was originally advertised as some form of 'disk demagnetiser', and did claim some benefits...FFS!!!

However after a right kicking on AOS, the claims were removed (perhaps coincidentally), and the product squirrelled away under a an 'accessories' menu, but it's still available for £3.3K...should you feel the urge! ;-)

Russ, the second son of God, must go to bed laughing his little face off every night at the expense of his gullible customers.

I have a design for an new sound improvement box. It's an expensive looking lacquered wooden box with stereo RCA inputs, A 5V power input, an on/off switch and a red LED. The RCA inputs are not connected to anything inside the box. When you turn on the power, the LED turns on. The price would be around £1000 but to get the full effect you need to connect at least 4 to your system and place them carefully in strategic locations. There would be a balanced version with XLR inputs and a blue LED available for £1500.

I just need a name for it, probably something that ends in harmoniser would be appropriate. Quantum Phase Harmoniser maybe?

This came from a Naim dealer's ad. Not sure if reaches the heights of bs, but marketing fluff at a minimum.

"We enable our listeners to hear every single note in equal measure and transcend from audio sound to musical performance. We call this unique and emotive transmission the 'Voice of Naim'; it's our signature, our calling card." ~ Naim Audio

Peter Belt

To be fair, a number of things that Belt suggested we all try were not actually to buy his products. Turning up corners of curtains, etc.

One that was reported in the HiFi press of the time was to, if your turntable had four feet, take a plain, unprinted piece of paper, and place it under the rear left foot.

It's free. It's easy.

Sceptics, why not try it, and report back?

advertisement

Back