advertisement

Speaker matching advice for Rega system

kowalski99

pfm Member
Hi
I am just looking for Speaker suggestions to get the most from my 'vintage' Rega system.
My system comprises clamshell era Rega components:
Jupiter CD player
IO DAC
Radio R
Hal pre amp
Exs power amp
2017 RSD turntable with standard carbon cartridge.
I was using the Totem Rokk speakers but am instead using ancient Technics SB-X110 speakers as they seem to provide a more weighty sound.
The equipment is on the original Rega separates rack and the turntable is on the 2017 Rega wall bracket.

People say the Rega sound can be slightly 'thin'- I think that means lacking slightly in bass? I feel the system could do with a bit more bass and punch. I've listened to Rega RX-5s and Neat Iota Alphas and not really felt it.
I have a budget around £2500 max and would take bookshelf or floor standers and consider used suggestions.

Cheers for any advice!

I think some will say that you need to match your speakers to the room, not the speakers to the boxes. So difficult to do it the other way AND have them work in your room.

OK, yes that makes sense. The room is actually quite small- 10ft wide by 14ft deep- a typical plaster boarded 2nd bedroom in a block of flats.

2500 seem a high budget

why not look for same era Rega speakers ?
I believe they were Ela or Xel ?

Perhaps the later R/RS7 which are transmissionline bas.
Should come in much cheaper leaving room for servicing the kit if in need ?

If you really want punch perhaps listen to Yamaha NS1000 or some vintage JBL, perhaps going for the mono version poweramp Exon

Rega ELA is a similar period speaker and is very good (especially the original Mk1 version like the pair on ebay at the moment) and they work well in most rooms even close to walls/corners.
I preferred them to Naim sbls when I compared them about 25 years ago.
About £100 gets you a pair.

I have Ela MK2s and Xels, and would heartily recomend either. I have had Ela MK1s and whilst they are very pleasant there is no way I would ever have them over MK2s. The later have a much better (i.e. flatter) frequency response, and if bass is your concern definitely go lower. Not sure the Xels do bass any better, but the midrange is an obvious step up from the MK2 Ela.

Will be watching this with interest as I have a very similar system in storage Clamshell Planet, IO and Mira although I use the IO as a DAC for my laptop.
It was out and working briefly last week with Snell K MKIs but it’s back in storage now till the toddler grows up a little.

I had a clamshell planet then upgraded to a jupiter/io like yours. Nice sounding kit and I just loved playing cds through the rega top loader.

I also had rega XELs which I loved even more than the cd player (with naim amps). Eventually had to move them on for reasons of domestic harmony but they would be an ideal match. IMHO the XELs were a better speaker than my current Neat Alpha Iotas (although the Iotas offer more transparency and are much easier on the eye).

I can also recommend Neat elites which offer more bass, better integrated treble and a more relaxed grown up sound than the iota while being very tuneful. A great all rounder and better than the XELs IMHO. You could buy a used pair of original elites for about £300 - Neat can still replace the drivers if the worst happens.

Your system shouldn't sound thin with XELs or Elites.

Thank you- some great suggestions. I'm enjoying hunting stuff down- second hand hi-fi equipment is great value but not always easy to demo.

Reactions: mww
2500 seem a high budget

why not look for same era Rega speakers ?
I believe they were Ela or Xel ?

Perhaps the later R/RS7 which are transmissionline bas.
Should come in much cheaper leaving room for servicing the kit if in need ?

If you really want punch perhaps listen to Yamaha NS1000 or some vintage JBL, perhaps going for the mono version poweramp Exon

I am trying to source a pair of mono Exon amps but they are super rare and expensive- I think that would make a decent improvement however.

I also like the idea of some older Rega speakers! Cheers :)

Kowalski, fwiw I once ran a later generation Rega pre/power but trying the most recent Elex/R I found it was a better amp in that setup which consisted of Rega speakers and source.
No idea if this of your interest as it sort of spoil the clamshell looks.

As much as I like Rega speakers, you seem to have punch high on priority list, perhaps those little Rega bas units does not provide enough for your likings, hence my other suggestion in #4.

More power and mono blocks are nice to have but not allways neccesary, but then I'm more a source first guy anyway.

Lack of punch would not be a problem in a room of the OPs size, these are proper transmission line designs.

Kowalski, fwiw I once ran a later generation Rega pre/power but trying the most recent Elex/R I found it was a better amp in that setup which consisted of Rega speakers and source.
No idea if this of your interest as it sort of spoil the clamshell looks.

As much as I like Rega speakers, you seem to have punch high on priority list, perhaps those little Rega bas units does not provide enough for your likings, hence my other suggestion in #4.

More power and mono blocks are nice to have but not allways neccesary, but then I'm more a source first guy anyway.
I know its heresy but I'm wanting the best of both worlds- looks and performance. Not often possible. I am in the process of negotiating on a Rega p9 (clamshell era PSU of course) with Apheta (in lieu of a summer holiday!) so that will certainly bump up the phono performance!

XELs are transmission line speakers and had punch a plenty with my naim amps but they aren't lookers. Elites were an equally good match with the same amps (though I'd changed to a naim cd2 by then) and much better looking. They have small rear ports and another port down into the plinth so they can go quite close to rear walls too.

I wouldn’t mind trying some Elas some time in my set up! But they always seem to be collection only and 150 miles away :(

I’m on the lookout but really want the Mk1.5s.
There’s a set listed at the moment but in Buckinghamshire:(

Some Rega R9s, if you can find some! :D Worked very well with my Cursa/Maia combo previously.
They are flexible too with bass attenuation if needed built into the crossover and quite easy to tune the bass by adding more/taking out stuffing from the transmission line.

To the OP

Rega ELA’s were just great speaker. I heard them with a an original Mira at Westwood and Mason many years ago and they just sounded right.

I few years later I heard the same pre/power amp you have driving a pair of Royd Sorcerers - one of the most musically communicative combinations I have ever heard!

IMHE, the older Rega amps are excellent and well worth holding on to. Find a pair of Royd Sorcerers, place them on good tall stands, 6 inches from the wall. Enjoy.

advertisement

Back