advertisement

The 2018 F1 Thread

Meanwhile, Indy takes an interesting turn, reminiscent of the problems of F1 and their possible solution:

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/news/133509/dixon-indycar-facing-biggest-change-in-years

There is the possibility of a few standard parts to reduce costs, but hopefully F1 won't approach IndyCar levels of standardisation. If they do I won't be working in the industry, nor will I be watching it.

I came across this article today that state that F1 race attendance figures are up this year:

I came across this article today that state that F1 race attendance figures are up this year:

That article only compares this year with 2016. I bet it's a lot more complicated than it says. Circuits like Silverstone and Monza must be at capacity most years?

Interesting article on the McLaren-Honda failure in Autosport. It's a subscription article, but here's a taste:

The humble oil tank seems such an innocuous component amid the extraordinary complexity of V6 Formula 1 engines and their hybrid parts. With all the millions of dollars invested in trying to make a success of a works grand prix operation, combined with the expertise of two mighty racing organisations, you wouldn't expect something so basic to be the root cause of calamity.

But that's exactly what happened in 2017. The unfeted oil tank is the chief reason why the McLaren-Honda alliance is no more, dissolved in a poisonous concoction of broken promises and shattered dreams.

Apparently the change in shape in the oil tank - brought about by the repositioning of the turbo outside the vee of the motor à la Mercedes - caused all sorts of diabolical problems.

I watch 1990's IndyCar/Cart on youtube. Exciting and varied from high speed ovals to street courses. The cars even looks like F1 cars should!
You Brits can start with Mansell in '93 (the unoficial 'who is the best ex F1 WC' championship) and then there is Zanardi in '97-'98...

The FIA have told teams that they are now required to prove to the FIA that the steering on their cars doesn't improve aero by substantially lowering the front of the car by more than 5mm.

What a pain that must be, especially with the 2018 cars so far down the development trail.

RIP Dan Gurney

Dan Gurney, the first to spray champagne on the podium, the only driver feared by Jim Clarke and the only one with an aerodynamic device named after him has sadly died.

It was not an F1 decision. If the BBC or C4 want to broadcast it they can but they choose not to. And the coverage on Sky is fantastic. They cover all of the practices and press briefings as well as by far the best race coverage.

I imagine that were F1 to offer the Beeb exclusive coverage for a sensible annual figure they would be happy to cover the races.

RIP Dan Gurney

Dan Gurney, the first to spray champagne on the podium, the only driver feared by Jim Clarke and the only one with an aerodynamic device named after him has sadly died.

A real gentleman, won on F1, NASCAR, Indy 500, Le Mans, and possessed Hollywood looks. His life must've been pleasant at times.

RIP, you legend.

RIP Dan Gurney

That is sad. He was a driver back in the era when I started watching racing. I remember well the Spa win in the gorgeous Eagle and the Le Mans win with A J Foyt, when the car, which was supposed to be the pace car to break the Ferraris, suddenly had to do the winning when half the Ford team was eliminated in a wee small hours accident. The car demolished every record there was. It even won the Index of Thermal Efficiency (said to be invented so that a French car could win something!).

Someone I follow on a certain social media posted this just now. Yep, that's the driver's view from an F1 car with halo fitted. Yuck.

Put windscreeens in, enclose the wheels (which will be the next safety features) and it is a sports car.....then remove the driver from the car and have them driven remotely by 10 year olds.....

Someone I follow on a certain social media posted this just now. Yep, that's the driver's view from an F1 car with halo fitted. Yuck.

My goodness, I didn't think it would be quite that bad! I would have thought that something like another roll bar mounted slightly ahead of the driver would afford both protection and sufficiently easy exit/extraction in the event of an accident, but I guess that has been considered and there are objections.

My goodness, I didn't think it would be quite that bad! I would have thought that something like another roll bar mounted slightly ahead of the driver would afford both protection and sufficiently easy exit/extraction in the event of an accident, but I guess that has been considered and there are objections.

Reminds me of the opti-grab in the Steve Martin film, "The Jerk". Expecting to see cross eyed drivers at the end of the season...

advertisement

Back