advertisement

The Future Of The Democratic Party.

maxflinn

pfm Member
I see all the leading corporate Democrats involved in the 2016 election debacle are still there.

Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, Dianne Feinstein...

One would surely expect big changes after such an embarrassing defeat?

hqdefault.jpg

sorry, i misunderstood.

i'm not a huge fan of entertainment celebrities running for office, but i think we will see many more in the future. oprah seems like a nice person, but has awful taste in books.

I see all the leading corporate Democrats involved in the 2016 election debacle are still there.

Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, Dianne Feinstein...

One would surely expect big changes after such an embarrassing defeat?
Politics is not your strong suit is it?

I can't see her brand of "inspirational" identity politics converting the disillusioned working class.

what i can see is that just about everybody loves her. she's charismatic, empathic, decent and seems to be able to connect with all people an american saint. i don't think conventional politics matter here. didn't we just learn something similar with trump?

i'm not saying she would be my choice or that i know what her policies would be, but i would gladly take a bet right now (at correct odds) that if she enters the contest she will win, especially in the case of an unlikely showdown against trump -- wouldn't the media love that?! better than a royal wedding.

Oprah as the answer is simply more proof that America is retreating into delusion as it declines.

"Oprah recognizes the pervasiveness of anxiety and alienation in our society. But instead of examining the economic or political basis of these feelings, she advises us to turn our gaze inward and reconfigure ourselves to become more adaptable to the vagaries and stresses of the neoliberal moment.

Oprah is appealing precisely because her stories hide the role of political, economic, and social structures. In doing so, they make the American Dream seem attainable. If we just fix ourselves, we can achieve our goals. For some people, the American dream is attainable, but to understand the chances for everyone, we need to look dispassionately at the factors that shape success.
Anyone can become anything. There’s no distinction between the quality and productivity of different people’s social and cultural capital. We’re all building our skills. We’re all networking.

This is a fiction. If all or most forms of social and cultural capital were equally valuable and accessible, we should see the effects of this in increased upward mobility and wealth created anew by new people in each generation rather than passed down and expanded from one generation to the next. The data do not demonstrate this upward mobility.

The US, in a sample of 13 wealthy countries, ranks highest in inequality and lowest in intergenerational earnings mobility. Wealth isn’t earned fresh in each new generation by plucky go-getters. It is passed down, preserved, and expanded through generous tax laws and the assiduous transmission of social and cultural capital." https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...frey-neoliberal-capitalist-thinkers?CMP=fb_gu

Yup, that's the same article I posted a link to. Vuk, it's well worth a read if you can spare the time.

Link to the author's web page: https://nicoleaschoff.com/

oh, i did read it and i am as big an enemy of neo-liberal economic delusions of meritocracy as anyone. oprah's extremely rare lived experience of the "american dream" is a massive problem, rather than an asset. my point wasn't to pitch her, just to say that she should not be underestimated as a political force, especially if partnered with the correct political marketing people.

Who else is in the running? Sanders is likely too old now, surely? I kind of like and absolutely hate the idea of Oprah Winfrey; great as she is a black female, has a functioning moral compass and could likely actually win for the Democrats, hate as it is another step down the vacuous celebity path, though obviously a step or three up from the barrel-scraping Trump or Palin.

PS As ever I would always support *any* Democrat over *any* Republican. Party ideology and historical record outweighs leader personality for me every time.

Who else is in the running? Sanders is likely too old now, surely? I kind of like and absolutely hate the idea of Oprah Winfrey; great as she is a black female, has a functioning moral compass and could likely actually win for the Democrats, hate as it is another step down the vacuous celebity path, though obviously a step or three up from the barrel-scraping Trump or Palin.

PS As ever I would always support *any* Democrat over *any* Republican. Party ideology and historical record outweighs leader personality for me every time.

When this was discussed on the Briefing Rom some weeks ago now, Sanders was dismissed as too old to an attractive option to the voters they need to win over. By the time of the next election he'll be 79? Going back to John F Kennedy, Democrat winners have been much younger age than that.

That is my feeling too. They need someone young but along the same lines. Same with Labour in the UK to be honest, we need a really young, sharp, dynamic, articulate Corbyn with no skeletons in the closet. Not an easy find! It is one of the reasons I really rated Obama and was so disappointed to see him hindered by such a repugnant intransigent and I suspect downright racist Republican Senate.

advertisement

Back