advertisement

2017 upgraditus

I started the year with a pair of Harbeth 30.1’s and Croft 25R/7 Pre/Power. Had a Rega P3 and Auralic Aries. I thought this was me finished on the Hi-Fi merry go round.

Then upgraditis struck.

The first to go was the Harbeths - sold those and bought a pair of Proac SM100’s. Amazing speakers - to my ears better by some margin than the Harbeth’s and a few months on still surprise me with how they produce music.

Whilst he Croft amps worked well with the Proacs I was itching to try a Sugden Amp with them. I bought a used A21a Series 2. Not looked back. The Sugden and Proac combination is stunning.

Bought an ex dem Project Classic - wife loved the look of it and so it stayed. I’m still not sure whether I like the sound of it yet but it is inoffensive and so will stay until something better tempts me that has a decent WAF.

Oh and I sold my Rega Fono stage and got a Graham Slee Revelation M. Very impressed.

Finally, I almost got a Hegel from Rick at Musicraft. Whilst I was waiting for one to come available I bought the Sugden - unless I move up higher up the Sugden line it’s not going anywhere.
Hi Robby....that would be my next move a sugden...how do you find it and yes a masterclass will be your next purchase HAHAHA!

Hi Robby....that would be my next move a sugden...how do you find it and yes a masterclass will be your next purchase HAHAHA!

The Sugden, to be honest, was (and is) a complete revelation to my ears. Not what I was expecting at all - I anticipated a warm, old fashioned valve like sound. Nothing could be further from the truth. It has the attributes of a good valve amp in that it has a non-fatiguing presentation but it is also fast and detailed.

I have owned a number amplifiers over the years and this one seems to be one of the most natural I have heard. It is also one of the most balanced amps I have had with superb bass and natural treble.

The midrange is also superb - not quite on a level with the Croft Amps I had before - but not far of and the bass is significantly better than the Croft for less "on paper" power.

I could go on and on. If you can loan one I would.

Yup I love sugdens. Never owned one but each time I hear one I think 'why not'?
Amp/speaker synergy as a concept comes and goes in HiFi fashion, but proac/sugden never, ever goes out of fashion.
Am also happy to admit that, whilst the 21 is a fine amp, the masterclass is something astonishing, worldclass and lovely. Like Quad electrostatics, every audiophool should own a masterclass at some point.

Yup I love sugdens. Never owned one but each time I hear one I think 'why not'?
Amp/speaker synergy as a concept comes and goes in HiFi fashion, but proac/sugden never, ever goes out of fashion.
Am also happy to admit that, whilst the 21 is a fine amp, the masterclass is something astonishing, worldclass and lovely. Like Quad electrostatics, every audiophool should own a masterclass at some point.
There was a nice masterclass on eBay....wonder if it's still for sale?

advertisement

Back