advertisement

2017 upgraditus

Galty

Hi all...I started the year with a audiolab 8200Cdq and a 8200a running a valve power amp and a pair of Proac super tabs. In the summer I decided I wanted more bass and I purchased a pair of immaculate Spendor A5s. I wasn't totally happy with the sound and discovers the valve power was taking out some detail so that was sold...still not getting on with the spendor I bought a pair of 8200p along with a 8200q and also the same week a pair of mint Proac Response D15...I preferred the D15s over the Spendors by far do the Spendors went to a new home. I was wondering if the Proacs needed better application so bought a pair of Bel Canto mono blocks and yes I thought that would be my final purchase. I loved the detail, soundstage and controlled Bass but a curve ball was thrown in when i had the chance to buy a New Hegel H160 for a great price. To cut a long story short with only 1 hour playing and nowhere near run in it is a phenomenal improvement. The sound is detailed, spacious, punchy but with a really nice warmth without it being numb....I think my search is over......have you of you had any upgraditus or do you own a Hegel too....its been a busy last few months in my house lol....cheers and Happy New year!

I very nearly bought a Hegel 160 to Power my atc scm19 but without a demo being available I went for Atc amp but would be interested to hear one...

I moved away from upgrading when I sold my Naim. It’s like a feverish disease.I’ve been very happy with my second hand Japanese based system for over a year now. Only thing I have added is a home grown streaming machine which has been cheap as chips.

I moved away from upgrading when I sold my Naim. It’s like a feverish disease.I’ve been very happy with my second hand Japanese based system for over a year now. Only thing I have added is a home grown streaming machine which has been cheap as chips.
Yes a very expensive feverish disease hahaha.....I'm having a clear out soon!

I very nearly bought a Hegel 160 to Power my atc scm19 but without a demo being available I went for Atc amp but would be interested to hear one...
Yes demos are rare but then again only home demos are really the answer but even then you dont get chance for your hearing to adjust properly I suspect...I think all you can go on is the immediate impact and the Hegel has done that with only an hour or two out of the box!

I believe they all have similar sound but obviously with different power ratings. The latest line apparently sounding a little fuller with even higher damping capability.

I am sure the Rost will handle even expensive and/or difficult to drive speakers.

Just started a thread on the new H90 which I have had a few days. Good amp.

Hopefully getting a 190.
Did you get yours from Rick at Musicraft? I did....I would now having this H160 I'd definitely get a H190 if I got the chance.

Yes. I am sure your 160 is very nice too.
Drummerman I'm well pleased ...it has bags of power and so precise...at 150 per channel it should have and that's why I didn't go with the H90 because I've been running 100w and lately 150w pc....they're not the best lookers tho with the bold display but I just switch it off..... it

Worth pointing out Hegel products are not normally discounted and if they are, not by much.

Most brands that do not have a broad dealer base are somewhat boutique. Normal. Folks will not pay lots of money and buy blind. Many will want to listen first.

Not unique to foreign brands either. I am sure there are a few British brands that are not household names to the average punter.

Worth pointing out Hegel products are not normally discounted and if they are, not by much.

Most brands that do not have a broad dealer base are somewhat boutique. Normal. Folks will not pay lots of money and buy blind. Many will want to listen first.

Not unique to foreign brands either. I am sure there are a few British brands that are not household names to the average punter.
I stand corrected....my ears like most probably yours are are enjoying our bargains!....by the way what sources are you using and what speakers?

I started the year with a pair of Harbeth 30.1’s and Croft 25R/7 Pre/Power. Had a Rega P3 and Auralic Aries. I thought this was me finished on the Hi-Fi merry go round.

Then upgraditis struck.

The first to go was the Harbeths - sold those and bought a pair of Proac SM100’s. Amazing speakers - to my ears better by some margin than the Harbeth’s and a few months on still surprise me with how they produce music.

Whilst he Croft amps worked well with the Proacs I was itching to try a Sugden Amp with them. I bought a used A21a Series 2. Not looked back. The Sugden and Proac combination is stunning.

Bought an ex dem Project Classic - wife loved the look of it and so it stayed. I’m still not sure whether I like the sound of it yet but it is inoffensive and so will stay until something better tempts me that has a decent WAF.

Oh and I sold my Rega Fono stage and got a Graham Slee Revelation M. Very impressed.

Finally, I almost got a Hegel from Rick at Musicraft. Whilst I was waiting for one to come available I bought the Sugden - unless I move up higher up the Sugden line it’s not going anywhere.

The Sugden looks good in its latest iteration. Never heard one. It seems super expensive for what it is and somehow totally out of date but considering this is still handmade inhouse in the UK (including the casing) it suddenly looks reasonable and I like things that buck a trend (You have to as a Cyrus owner).

Certainly easier to repair as it's mostly/all through-hole. Something to consider for long term ownership which probably a given. Being an established small business I can imagine customer service would be second to none too.

I must try and hear one at some stage. My only experience in Solid State Class A was with Magnum and that was many years ago. Sugden ownership comments seem to be overwhelming positive.

The Sugden looks good. Never heard one.

Certainly easier to repair as it's mostly/all through-hole. Something to consider for long term ownership.

I have owned many amps in the last 25 years but never a Sugden. I have been totally blown away by how good it is into the Proacs.

advertisement

Back