advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I order the replacement parts yesterday expecting them to arrive today - but nothings arrived so far :(

Also, I've had no confirmation from the Chinese MiniStreamer Chassis vendor confirming that they have shipped today as promised...

Update on Streamer / DevDAC production:-

Ministreamer Chassis should arrive Mon 08/01/2018 by 18:00

The Farnell order for the replacement for the oxidizes parts was held up as I gave the incorrect CVV code for my Credit card although the website just said ordered being prepared for shipment with no mention of billing error... anyway its being shipped out today... I also added capacitors for 2 MDAC's I'm recapping:-

PhilM's unit with broken USB and a silver MDAC from Sweden.

SQ / Misterdog's front panel I'll look at today - whats the story with the mainboard?

Do I have anyone else MDAC here for repair? - I hope not... as these are the only units that have been floating around the lab...

This is the THD graph, Bruno made some error on the test PCB, which shows as higher distortion !
The accompanying white paper makes for a good read if you like the tech stuff.
Makes a great partner with the MDAC and my vinyl phono amp.

the_G_word_fig28.jpg

https://www.edn.com/Home/PrintView?contentItemId=4431638

Built by Jan.Didden that really is a bargain - enjoy.

John, I have no insight as to the fault on the mainboard. The main chip on the front panel was fried as I reversed the coms cable when attempting to investigate. I thought it best to call it a day then.

PhilCTTE & jwceltic your MDAC's have been recapped - I'm waiting for the shipment to arrive with the x5 larger Capacitors on the PSU board, then the units can be shipped.

Phil, all of your capacitors where physically OK (Did you MDAC get much use)? - but I recapped your unit as its a full Fusion AV and worth keeping :) - I also replaced your USB connector (originally I forgot)!

FedEx has added an extra day to the scheduled delivery of the MiniStreamer chassis: Tue, 1/9/2018 by 6:00 pm

But unexpectedly, the Ethernet connectors arrived today (on a Saturday) - saving me to having to salvage them from prototype boards for the small Dev production run :)

John, I have no insight as to the fault on the mainboard. The main chip on the front panel was fried as I reversed the coms cable when attempting to investigate. I thought it best to call it a day then.

So as far as your aware the mainboard is OK?

JohnW,

I have a set of questions:

Does the state of the filters / volume / input saved when DEVDAC power is off ? It's to know whether or not i have to take care of it by reading the information or by saving the info into a database on the RaspPI.

As there are a lot of filters what do you think is the best visual option to select the active one: menu, button list, push button with switching visual info ?

For triggering feedback from the devdac to catch information (like frequency/resolution/...) do you think a 2s delay is convenient ?

Bests

PhilCTTE & jwceltic your MDAC's have been recapped - I'm waiting for the shipment to arrive with the x5 larger Capacitors on the PSU board, then the units can be shipped.

Phil, all of your capacitors where physically OK (Did you MDAC get much use)? - but I recapped your unit as its a full Fusion AV and worth keeping :) - I also replaced your USB connector (originally I forgot)!

Thanks John really appreciate that ... moderate to low usage . It’s integral to my AV setup , streaming via Roon.

I bought an Atmos 4k disc of Dunkirk and the Summits kept tripping the main amp. So really hanging on for the VFETS. I’ve bought a few blu rays of concerts recently and playing about with my 8 surround speakers ... it’s all good fun

So as far as your aware the mainboard is OK?

I'm unsure. it stopped working. and when swapping pauls front panel in to check what was dead I blew his front panel by flipping the coms cable by mistake. My front panel is still running in his dac so I assume its the mainboard at fault.

Hallo John, my glorious MDAC today is displaying the “NO COMMS” error, is there something I could try before sending it for repair?
Thanks in advance

Andrea

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back