advertisement

Rega MC FONO VS Rega Aria

Balance

Hey guys,

From previous posts, I will be getting an RP10 w/Apheta2. Wondering about Regas Phonostages..

Obviously I only need a MC section. Are the Fono and Aria the same except for the fact with the Aria you are paying for 2 circuits? Or is the Aria’s MC section better than that of the Fono MC?

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

I'm sure Rega would answer this for you , if they are the same then job done get the Fono MC , I personally wouldn't buy something I'm only using half of so if the MC side of the Aria is better then its your money ;)

From my limited research so far it would seem the Aria may not be the same as the MC section of the Fono. By what margin, I’m not sure. There doesn’t seem to be any info on this on any forum or website. I’ll go check out the dealer and see what they have to say on this. I don’t mind buying a phonostage with switchable MC/MC if it is indeed better than the Fono. Otherwise, no.

One key thing to bear in mind is that the fono mc will use a wall wort, but the Aria has a power supply built in with an iec/kettle socket.

The wall warts are pretty well known for buzzing and causing interference.

Don't have anything to back it up, but either the power supply on the aria makes a hell of a difference, or the aria is just a better mc phono stage, and the MM side is a free bonus. This is only based on 3 album sides at a dealers. I won't be changing my ios for one, but the aria is still a good phono stage. I would suggest you ring your dealer, pop in with some well known vinyl and compare. In fact get him to lend you one when you pick your deck and cart up.

Wondering about Regas Phonostages..

Obviously I only need a MC section. Are the Fono and Aria the same except for the fact with the Aria you are paying for 2 circuits? Or is the Aria’s MC section better than that of the Fono MC?
Surely this question is based on a misconception of how phono stages work? My understanding is that all MC phono stages consist of a MM stage plus some form of step up - either a transformer or, more likely, an integral head-amp. So if you are looking at a phono stage that offers you both MM and MC functionality, and you are comparing it with an MC-only unit, I don't think you are in danger of paying for a whole separate second circuit for MM equalization. My guess is that, at most, you are paying for some extra input sockets and a switch to enable your phono signal to be routed directly to the RIAA equalization circuitry without passing through the step-up apparatus first. Quite a nice bit of extra flexibility , I would think and not a "double outlay".
ML

Surely this question is based on a misconception of how phono stages work? My understanding is that all MC phono stages consist of a MM stage plus some form of step up - either a transformer or, more likely, an integral head-amp. So if you are looking at a phono stage that offers you both MM and MC functionality, and you are comparing it with an MC-only unit, I don't think you are in danger of paying for a whole separate second circuit for MM equalization. My guess is that, at most, you are paying for some extra input sockets and a switch to enable your phono signal to be routed directly to the RIAA equalization circuitry without passing through the step-up apparatus first. Quite a nice bit of extra flexibility , I would think and not a "double outlay".
ML

Some MC stages work by putting a step up device (head amp or SUT) before the MM stage but not all by any means. More work by having a dedicated MC stage or by making the gain switchable in a dual purpose stage. Ideally, separate stages are better as they can be optimised for the intended purpose. Some topologies and circuit techniques are optimum for MC use but not suitable for MM's and vice versa. The optimum devices for the amplification varies a lot depending on if MM or MC as well, both in best choice of a specific part number, be it BJT, FET or valve, or even which type of device is suitable for use in a given application. There are hardly any valved MC stages which don't put an SUT before a MM stage because valves just can't match the noise performance of SS devices, and so an all valve MC stage, that takes the input from an MC cart directly, without SUT, would be quite noisy. It can be done, has been done, and I've done it myself but you'll never get the noise as low as a good SS stage or SUT+MM/SS head amp+MM stage. Input valves need to be selected from a large number of samples to find ones which are quiet enough and tend to become noisy after a short time. Just not very practical....

Yep the Aria is basically 2 more or less discrete stages in one.

^This^

I was fortunate enough to own and Aria a couple of years ago where I remember reading just this in the instruction manual. Damn good phonostage too - quite possibly one of, if not the, nicest I've ever owned. Very adjustable, quiet, excellent sound, and a small footprint too.

As I understand it the Aria is a Fono MM and Fono MC in one box only insofar as the gain circuits share the same basic designs, everything is done with higher tolerance/better quality parts and the PS is completely different...Hence the Aria costing more than buying both a Fono MM and a Fono MC despite only getting one case, one power supply etc. etc.

Wondering if anyone hear can shed some light on compatability with an Ania cartridge. It appears the fono mc was designed around the p6 ania. So wondering other than price differnce in the above context whether it makes sense to jump to an Aria or stick with the fono mc and save the difference for lp's

Conster... I use an Rp10 with Ania and Aria . The Ania is 100 percent compatible with the Aria.
You use the same settings as the Apheta cartridge and these are shown in the user guide.
I find the Ania so good I have no urge for a better cart. And it is cheaper when the time comes to retip.

If the P6 with Ania is your final upgrade then go for the fono mc.
If you are intending an rp8 or the amazing rp10 then they deserve the Aria irrespective of which cart.

A bonus is that the Rp10 power supply and the Aria use the same size case and match nicely.

As I type i am listening to 'The Mighty Culture' (as Peelie always called them) on my LP12 through a Rega Aria I have on loan. It's fantastic!! I own a Musical Fidelity KW phono stage, and the Aria is way better. I think it's the increased gain the Aria has over the MF. I have a new Linn Krystal, at 0.25mV out I think. I have the Aria at the low gain setting, 63 dB. The MF hasn't enough gain, so you don't get the dynamic range. The Aria might be a tad noisier, I guess that comes with higher gain.
I shall buy this unit. What higher recommendation could I give ;)

Stu

I wonder if an Aria 2 is in the offing, to match the Apollo and Brio half-size cases...?

advertisement

Back