advertisement

The 2018 F1 Thread

As lovely sounding and beautiful looking the Gurney Eagle is, by today's standards it is comically slow. Probably slower lap for lap that a BTCC car.

So, in my dream land.....

A 1960s pre-wings car.
Modern materials for the body and tub. (Carbon tubs have been around for what, nearly 40 years?)
Tub able to accommodate drivers up to 2 metres tall.
Manual, 6 speed gearbox, ratios fixed for the year.
Engine..... Hmmmmm. 18,000rpm limit if a N/A V8? Freedom over V angle.
Tyres? Big and black.

My "more refined" was something along those lines, utilising the advantages of more modern technology. Perhaps the manual 6-speeder is a wee bit retrograde, considering all the paddle shifts in road cars.

My "more refined" was something along those lines, utilising the advantages of more modern technology. Perhaps the manual 6-speeder is a wee bit retrograde, considering all the paddle shifts in road cars.

I don't see that there needs to be a connection between F1 and road cars, and I know that in the FIA there are those that think the same. My reasoning is that as two well matched drivers hurtle along the main straight at Monza, side by side, chicane rapidly approaching, instead of both drivers just braking at the 100 metre point and flapping the left paddle at the right time, they'd HAVE to move that antiquated stick at the right time and in the right way, The chance of making a tiny mistake would always be there, and that would give the position to the other dude. And perhaps Vettel would suddenly have another use for his special blister-preventing tug-gloves ;)

I guess the connection is really it is in most cases a promotional/marketing tool for road cars. It is most unusual for someone like Red Bull to come along who aren’t trying to sell motor industry technology. Whether than means there has to be a connection in technology I’ve no idea. I’d like to see a lot less (non-safety-related) rules to be honest and just see who can go round the track the fastest.

Pirelli have stated that there should be two tyre stops per race, on average next year. For this year they were too cautious with the performance leap of the cars over 2016, and 15 races became one-stoppers. So, softer tyres with a higher wear rate for 2018. Even faster?
Why have mandatory tyres stops at all?

I guess the connection is really it is in most cases a promotional/marketing tool for road cars. It is most unusual for someone like Red Bull to come along who aren’t trying to sell motor industry technology. Whether than means there has to be a connection in technology I’ve no idea. I’d like to see a lot less (non-safety-related) rules to be honest and just see who can go round the track the fastest.
Red Bull are everywhere to sell Red Bull, they have zero interest in any sport except to promote the Red Bull brand.

If it's only on Sky I couldn't give a shit if they are driving FF cars with jet engines. I won't be watching. They lost me when they sold out to satellite.

Red Bull are everywhere to sell Red Bull, they have zero interest in any sport except to promote the Red Bull brand.

So why choose F1 to sponsor? They might alternatively sponsor the World Knitting Championships. OK, yes, I know, grannies on Red Bull is a worrying thought.

However, my guess is that someone at the top of Red Bull is very interested in F1, and sees the advertising opportunity that mixes business with pleasure.

If they dump the aero though and Red Bull win again, the market campaign (Red Bull gives you wings) is just so right...

The original Red Bull is far better BTW

I wonder if F1 disappearing behind the Hypnotoad’s paywall in 2019 will kill some UK-centric sponsors and even teams?

I wonder if F1 disappearing behind the Hypnotoad’s paywall in 2019 will kill some UK-centric sponsors and even teams?

Sadly I think most of them would be be happy to lose 90% of the UK market to get 20% of the US market.

So why choose F1 to sponsor? They might alternatively sponsor the World Knitting Championships. OK, yes, I know, grannies on Red Bull is a worrying thought.

However, my guess is that someone at the top of Red Bull is very interested in F1, and sees the advertising opportunity that mixes business with pleasure.
Red Bull do not fund the team exclusively, they have at least 20 other sponsors. Spending money on televised events is very cost effective in terms of putting your brand before tens of millions of potential consumers on a weekly basis. If F1 did not pay, they would not do it.

Red Bull do not fund the team exclusively, they have at least 20 other sponsors. Spending money on televised events is very cost effective in terms of putting your brand before tens of millions of potential consumers on a weekly basis. If F1 did not pay, they would not do it.

Well, obviously. I was merely refuting your statement that ‘they’ have zero interest in any sport, which is highly unlikely.

I won't be watching. They lost me when they sold out to satellite.

It was not an F1 decision. If the BBC or C4 want to broadcast it they can but they choose not to. And the coverage on Sky is fantastic. They cover all of the practices and press briefings as well as by far the best race coverage.

More likely
1) they couldn't afford it and
2) the audience was deemed too small for the beeb to justify the expense.

My reasoning is that as two well matched drivers hurtle along the main straight at Monza, side by side, chicane rapidly approaching, instead of both drivers just braking at the 100 metre point and flapping the left paddle at the right time, they'd HAVE to move that antiquated stick at the right time and in the right way, The chance of making a tiny mistake would always be there, and that would give the position to the other dude. And perhaps Vettel would suddenly have another use for his special blister-preventing tug-gloves ;)

Except that if you look at the likes of Senna and Schumacher the thing that separated them from the others was their braking (and to a lesser extent throttle) not their gear shifts.

Reactions: vuk
What separated Senna from the rest was his ability to use the tyres to corner whilst braking and accelerate out of a turn whilst still cornering. There was a lot of additional tyre potential out there, but it was very difficult to drive in those combined conditions. Nowadays with seamless shifts and much better vehicle handling, this is easier to do.

advertisement

Back