advertisement

Interesting Dac review on Stereophile

adamdea

You are not a sound quality evaluation device
Dac 3 review

https://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-dac3-hgc-da-preamplifier-headphone-amplifier

For once the subjective review is interesting. Jim Austen level matches two (very different) dacs and concludes that he can't hear any difference between them. Minor explosion on comments section. Also quoted in review is John Siau of Benchmark who reckons that a record player can be converted adc to dac in loop up to 16 times before you's hear a difference. And of course saying that the dac 2 and dac 3 sound the same [but nb the two dacs compared were the dac 3 and a ps audio dac]

The review seems to have snuck through due to accidental collision between editorial policies vis a vis agreeing with manufacturer and not upsetting the readers.

see audio asylum critic's corner, "stereophile reaches a new nadir," for a lively discussion.

see audio asylum critic's corner, "stereophile reaches a new nadir," for a lively discussion.
Yes, that made for fun reading! I could't understand a good part of it, but it came over just like pfm "discussions". I happen to have the DAC3 HGC, and it's functionality is what swung it for me. The differences in sound between it and other similarly priced DACs would probably pass me by. However, I did listen to it at home before acquiring it, and it sounded better than what I had before.

advertisement

Back