advertisement

Musical Fidelity

Galty

I'm in the market for a used amplifier to upgrade from my current audiolab 8200a....i've heard the Rega Elex R which I liked and I would buy that new and gets rave reviews but I've also seen that some of the older model Musical fidelity and M6i Si models are at good prices. Can any MF owners share their thoughts? I have a collection of speakers at the moment of : Proac Super tabs, Spendor A5's and a pair of Proac Response D15's........I know my amp needs an upgrade lol. Thanks in advance!

I just have a feeling it does not get the best out of my speakers..i have thought about getting a 8000 or a 8200P but ive also read that the pre amp is not that great on the 8200?

I've had the Elex/R amp and its by far the best Rega amp I heard

Not the last word but highly engaging and fun

I would imagine a fine combination with the mentioned Proac speakers

Never been a fan of the MF amplication apart from the original A1, but it has cooked itself

Wrong. PCB's were stuffed in the UK too,sub contracted, until 1990.

I worked for MF.... 1990-91 actually. They were made in Taiwan then IIRC. I don't recall any staff who had been there longer than myself ever mentioning any recent change in the source of the stuffed PCB's... which is not to say that they definitely were not made in the UK before then, but as I personally repaired almost every unit that came in for service I tend to think I would have known about it if they had changed suppliers a month or two before I joined them...

I worked for MF.... 1990-91 actually. They were made in Taiwan then IIRC.

I know you did but I (jointly) owned the company that built every single one of their PCB's from the very first pre amp until the production B1 which was made in Asia. We did the pre production batch of B1 too.
We also did every single PCB layout and most of the development work on every amp

M6si and 5si super Amplifier and sell at good prices on eBay
Worth looking at
But I too feel that Rega Elex R is a cracking amplifier for the money

I know you did but I (jointly) owned the company that built every single one of their PCB's from the very first pre amp until the production B1 which was made in Asia. We did the pre production batch of B1 too.
We also did every single PCB layout and most of the development work on every amp

Interesting. Brighton based by any chance? I seem to recall that B1's had been around for at least a year when I joined...
I do recall a few A1 and A100's that had a lighter green FR4 and appeared to be from a different source but they were all old ones coming back for repair after several years use...

Thanks Tuco and thanks all for your comments...I'll take all your suggestions into consideration but the rega is getting a lot of praise too! How does it compare with the mf's both new and older models technically and sonically. The mfs commanded a price much higher back then than the rega is now!

On a wider note it is a bit odd to see so little about MF on fora when they are such a big (by UK standards) manufacturer.

Reliability was always an issue with many of the older models, but in terms of sound quality they were, IMHO, better than equivalently priced units by most other manufacturers.... YMMV...

I do still get a few A1's and A100's in for repair and refurb each year but rarely see other models.

Interesting. Brighton based by any chance? I seem to recall that B1's had been around for at least a year when I joined...
I do recall a few A1 and A100's that had a lighter green FR4 and appeared to be from a different source but they were all old ones coming back for repair after several years use...

Not Brighton, Sarf London. We supplied every FR4 from a one man band company who made the lot. First batches of 'The Pre' and Dr Thomas were made in 1 factory, then we moved.

Pre production B1's sounded great but production ones arrived from Asia and then the fun started. Early ones were junk.

I did a QA consultancy audit of M & A as they were in deep doodah with their valve amps. That was my profession then and it wasn't difficult to see where they were going wrong.

They never paid and went t!ts up but afterwards Kevin Austin and Ant Mich both came to us claiming that the other was to blame and asking for help in production. We chose one...

Not Brighton, Sarf London. We supplied every FR4 from a one man band company who made the lot. First batches of 'The Pre' and Dr Thomas were made in 1 factory, then we moved.

Pre production B1's sounded great but production ones arrived from Asia and then the fun started. Early ones were junk.

I did a QA consultancy audit of M & A as they were in deep doodah with their valve amps. That was my profession then and it wasn't difficult to see where they were going wrong.

They never paid and went t!ts up but afterwards Kevin Austin and Ant Mich both came to us claiming that the other was to blame and asking for help in production. We chose one...

I wish I had a £ for every 2N3055 I replaced in B1's! Crap ones with "Pecor" on them...

They didn't learn any lessons with the valve amps... They made one under the "Michaelson Audio" brand called "The Odysseus" which sounded great but was incredibly unreliable. AM asked me one day to prepare a report as to why they were so unreliable, which I did and made many recommendations for parts changes intended to rectify the problem. It would have added only around £10 to the BOM. All my recommendations were ignored and almost every one made came back faulty within a few months of purchase. They stopped making them after only maybe 6 months IIRC. It was a TdP design and he later brought out a properly sorted version of it under the EAR banner...

The very few "Chronos" valve amps they sold were much better made and were all thoroughly checked out by me. They were silly money...

advertisement

Back